Sponsored by:

Making a case for the base model

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 12:27 PM
SamD
Racer

Received 300 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Making a case for the base model

Looking to order a 992 ASAP and trying to decide on which route to take. In 2012 I ordered my first new P-car, a 981 in Mahogany Metallic, and thinking big was the way to go, loaded it up with SC, PTV, PDK, PSE, 20" rims, S model, natural leather, etc. Dealer said it was the most expensive Boxster they'd seen (doh!). While loving the car, over time I realized it was all too much, with features never used (or really needed). So, applying those lessons, here is why I'm ordering a C2:
- don't really need the extra power of the S and can always get it chipped later
- smaller turbos spool up faster = more responsive
- no SC as no real advantage with the MT
- smaller rims mean a less harsh ride
- Racing Yellow, baby!
- save a few $ (rarely a bad thing, but not a primary goal here)
- resale not a huge concern as I plan on having this car for some time, especially if they are going hybrid in the 992.2

Now if we could just get some firm intel on when the MT will be actually available . . .

Any thoughts? Cheers!
Old 08-03-2019, 02:13 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

As a previous owner of a 2012 base 991 Carrera, this model is really all anyone needs for the street, especially with the low end turbo-boosted torque now.
The new car looks great and I'm very tempted once again, but at $110k+ with just a few must have options like power seats and a decent radio (standard on a $20k Kia), they are really raking in the profits on what is in reality just a mass produced small car. And that 50% depreciation hit after a few years still hurts...
Old 08-03-2019, 03:21 PM
Osv
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I've always been a fan of the base model with MT.
Unfortunately the base model has two major drawbacks in my opinion.
The first being the longer geared transmission (both PDK and MT) which by itself wouldn't be that bad (yet annoying) but in combination with the open diff and no rear diff available as an option this one really hurts.
The second was the lack of Sport PASM. Even though you could always swap everything by yourself, it just doesn't make sense paying for it and ripping it out the first day.

I doubt they'll change their offerings for the 992. They fixed almost everything with the Carrera T (while it received the shorter geared MT with rear diff from the Carrera S, the PDK version retained the longer, open diff gear box), which turned into a huge success, so they'll probably take this route again.

Anyways... If handling is of interest I'd take the wider 20/21 wheels. The new Sport PASM chassis is quite compliant and comfortable, so the ride in the base chassis shouldn't be worse.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:15 PM
westwest888
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

The best case I could make is maybe the base model power curve is flat as Kansas. Regarding PDCC, RWS, SPASM, SC — it’s an extra $30k worth of stuff and maybe YAGNI.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:26 AM
moomin
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Dickson
Looking to order a 992 ASAP and trying to decide on which route to take. In 2012 I ordered my first new P-car, a 981 in Mahogany Metallic, and thinking big was the way to go, loaded it up with SC, PTV, PDK, PSE, 20" rims, S model, natural leather, etc. Dealer said it was the most expensive Boxster they'd seen (doh!). While loving the car, over time I realized it was all too much, with features never used (or really needed). So, applying those lessons, here is why I'm ordering a C2:
- don't really need the extra power of the S and can always get it chipped later
- smaller turbos spool up faster = more responsive
- smaller rims mean a less harsh ride
- Racing Yellow, baby!
- save a few $ (rarely a bad thing, but not a primary goal here)
- resale not a huge concern as I plan on having this car for some time, especially if they are going hybrid in the 992.2

Now if we could just get some firm intel on when the MT will be actually available . . .

Any thoughts? Cheers!
Evo-X on here, and two dealers I spoke to said MT in 2020 Q1.

My limit is as close to 100k as I can get. MT is a must, bose,18 way, plus 20" rims. I agree SC is pointless on a manual. Bummer there's no discount for MT.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:04 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,244 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Dickson
Originally Posted by moomin
Evo-X on here, and two dealers I spoke to said MT in 2020 Q1.

I agree SC is pointless on a manual. Bummer there's no discount for MT.
I'm curious as to why people make these claims. I think SC is a must for a manual or PDK. Both of my Porsches are MT w/SC.

SC does a lot more that what you may think. Here is a short list off the top of my head.

Dynamic engine mounts
Rev matching in sport and sport + (manual)
Improved throttle mapping - throttle response goes to "performance"
Sport Response Button (pdk)
Launch control (pdk)
G-force meter
Clock with lap timer
Sport screen on PCM for lap analysis (and draws laps on PCM screen as you go around)
Ability to download performance data to your laptop
Upshift indicator in MFD
Mode dial on steering wheel which also adds I-mode
Relaxed point at which PSM kicks in (i.e. allows more yaw)
Increases idle speed
Opens additional symposer tube for better sound in compartment.
Changes RPM limiter to sport from normal.
Rear axle steering, PASM, PSM, PDCC, PTM and PTV go to sport mode

The following users liked this post:
RobMtz (08-06-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 10:20 AM
Osv
Advanced

Sport Mode for PSM is not connected to SC. It's a separate button and you can fully disable it without SC. PSM doesn't act differently with SC modes sport and sport+.
Sport mode for RWS, PASM and PDCC can be activated separately with the "damper" button.
Sport mode for PTM and PTV doesn't exist in a RWD carrera with a MT.
Throttle mapping can be turned to sport with the "sport" button. Sport is the same sport as in cars with SC, thus lifting the idle revs. Rev limiter is the same in all modes. It's just softer in normal.

G force meter is highly exaggerated or not filtered and doesn't provide any real value.
Shift indicator is a huge dial called Rev meter.
LapData may be useful to some, I agree.
Rev matching got disabled in the 991 when driving with PSM off. Plus most people buy a manual because they want to work for themselves.

Dynamic engine mounts... I'd say no one notices them or that they make anyone go faster. Plus more weight.

If you have the money, check the box. But you can make the car faster for the same money and real chassis options (sport PASM, RWS, PDCC).
Old 08-04-2019, 01:04 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,244 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Here is the reference. Granted it is a 991.2 but likely the same as a 992. We don't have that manual yet.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:45 PM
Osv
Advanced

Looks about right. I think I didn't say anything different?!

I'm not making a case against SC, just saying it's not the first feature to order if you want to make the car faster or handle better
Old 08-04-2019, 03:33 PM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The price differential between base and S is so close, making this argument completely mute.

I dont see anyone getting base to save that few grand.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:54 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
The price differential between base and S is so close, making this argument completely mute.

I dont see anyone getting base to save that few grand.
The difference is about $16,000. That's pretty significant. There are plenty of reasons to buy a base. If one wants a new 911, but has a limited budget, a base is a great way to go. If one is looking for comfort over increased power, why not use the money to load up on some options like Burmester or 18 way sport seats. By the way, the word is moot, not mute (sorry, I have a thing about the misuse of those two words).
The following 3 users liked this post by tgcrun:
jkautz (08-31-2019), moomin (08-07-2019), porschedood5000 (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 06:45 PM
westwest888
Instructor

I think you have to ask yourself, how good is the $99k car by itself? And then think how and when the 992S + RWS + PDCC + Forged + SC + SPASM would be better for a $28,000 upcharge.
JHesketh (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 07:01 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by westwest888
I think you have to ask yourself, how good is the $99k car by itself? And then think how and when the 992S + RWS + PDCC + Forged + SC + SPASM would be better for a $28,000 upcharge.
Totally agree. I'm in that same boat right now. My 997 is an S and my 991.2 Cab is an S (with SC, RAS and SE), as were my two previous 991s. However, once the manuals are introduced, I'm seriously considering going the base route, and instead of some of the more performance oriented options, spending the extra money on 18 way Sport-Tex seats, Burmester, Carmine Red, etc.
jkautz (08-31-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 08:23 PM
westwest888
Instructor

Originally Posted by tgcrun
Totally agree. I'm in that same boat right now. My 997 is an S and my 991.2 Cab is an S (with SC, RAS and SE), as were my two previous 991s. However, once the manuals are introduced, I'm seriously considering going the base route, and instead of some of the more performance oriented options, spending the extra money on 18 way Sport-Tex seats, Burmester, Carmine Red, etc.
Spend the extra money on the Michelin Cup 2 R in 265 front and 325 rear, taken from the GT3 RS. That will make the car lap faster than S-PASMSS-PDCC-RWS-SC guaranteed. Then a COBB ECU+TCU tune for $1500.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:02 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,770 Likes on 5,137 Posts

Why do you have to make a case for the base model?

If you like it, as is, then buy it.

Don't overthink it.
aggie57 (08-06-2019)

Quick Reply: Making a case for the base model