Wait for the T
The following users liked this post:
RobMtz (08-06-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 06:21 AM
moomin
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
The price differential between base and S is so close, making this argument completely mute.

I dont see anyone getting base to save that few grand.
I need to stay as close to 100k as I can. I also don't need RWS, SC, or the extra HP. PDCC I will miss, but it's either get the base or not at all.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:44 AM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Dickson
Looking to order a 992 ASAP and trying to decide on which route to take. In 2012 I ordered my first new P-car, a 981 in Mahogany Metallic, and thinking big was the way to go, loaded it up with SC, PTV, PDK, PSE, 20" rims, S model, natural leather, etc. Dealer said it was the most expensive Boxster they'd seen (doh!). While loving the car, over time I realized it was all too much, with features never used (or really needed). So, applying those lessons, here is why I'm ordering a C2:
- don't really need the extra power of the S and can always get it chipped later
- smaller turbos spool up faster = more responsive
- no SC as no real advantage with the MT
- smaller rims mean a less harsh ride
- Racing Yellow, baby!
- save a few $ (rarely a bad thing, but not a primary goal here)
- resale not a huge concern as I plan on having this car for some time, especially if they are going hybrid in the 992.2

Now if we could just get some firm intel on when the MT will be actually available . . .

Any thoughts? Cheers!

I've got a 991.2 manual. I wanted to keep it simple and light: a lesson clearly and disappointingly lost with the 992 which is, I humbly suggest, now over-weight. I didn't spec the Sports Chrono because I can't stand that infernally chintzy clock atop the dash but I guess it has its uses for some arcane applications, even though Racelogic kit is superior. If I could have specced the engine-mounts separately, then yes, I'd have gone for those ...indeed, anything that helps longevity since I bought mine (with PTS) as a 'keeper'. However, that's the only reason I'd have selected SC. Rear steer ? Yes: occasionally I've felt the need for that extra bit of help around a sharp mountain bend...very little of which are ever encountered in SW London, I hasten to add. So another marginally useful addition.

The smaller turbos on the base Carrera really help though. I know not how the the 992 base is going to perform. The long-7th on the MT is actually useful. The 9A2 engine - which was a bit of a risk for me since I'd have preferred 'on paper' the nat-asp engine - has turned out to be a pleasant surprise. We recently hyper-drove from Calais to the 'Ring keeping to Belgium/France speed-limits and got.....are you ready.....45.2 mpg. Yes: my passenger couldn't believe it either. But we've also cruised around 150 mph (autobahns of course) in 6th where it pulls properly. So, whilst the MT box can be viewed as over-geared if you view it as (slow-ish) 6-speeder with an over-drive it makes good sense.

The enemy of the 992 - in my view - is girth and weight. An extra 50kg across the board over the 991.2 is not funny nor clever. So, I'd keep the 992 base-Carrera very, very simple. 21" at the rear ...as an extra ? I've still got 19" on my 991.2 and they're big and heavy enough. Nor do I miss that extra inch. I'd buy the (now standard) 19/20" combo and splash out on a nice set of forged wheels later on ....when you get bored. I wouldn't bother with PSE, either... since I'd leave the large oval-pipe 'design signature' to Porsche's 'RS' cousins in Ingolstadt: the 4-pots look just as good and the new PSE is not going to overcome the acoustic drawbacks of that GPF in any significant way. Embrace the gas-rush.

If you're concerned about specs for re-sale I'd argue that it's PTS more than anything else that will make your car stand out come re-sale. If future punters are going to be concerned about buying your 7-10 year old car because of Bose or Burmeister, or 18-way seats or a glass-roof, or PSE and PDCC, I'd suggest they should concentrate more on how the car has been loved and serviced. If, however, you're getting in & out in 3 years, then be guided by your sales guy. GT Silver anyone ? Whatever....: the guiding rule for me is only add weight and complication because you actually love it....otherwise, don't. And Yellow looks good. Be brave and don't get black wheels for once
The following 2 users liked this post by BertoneBertoni:
Porschian (09-01-2019), SamD (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 09:33 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,244 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by BertoneBertoni

If you're concerned about specs for re-sale I'd argue that it's PTS more than anything else that will make your car stand out come re-sale. If future punters are going to be concerned about buying your 7-10 year old car because of Bose or Burmeister, or 18-way seats or a glass-roof, or PSE and PDCC, I'd suggest they should concentrate more on how the car has been loved and serviced. If, however, you're getting in & out in 3 years, then be guided by your sales guy. GT Silver anyone ? Whatever....: the guiding rule for me is only add weight and complication because you actually love it....otherwise, don't. And Yellow looks good. Be brave and don't get black wheels for once
Do you think that is going to help a base 911? I can see a GT car but not so sure about a base model.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:45 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

PTS 991.2 Base Models hold high resale value. Some go for dirt cheap undetected.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:38 AM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Do you think that is going to help a base 911? I can see a GT car but not so sure about a base model.
Well, I guess a good way for you to answer that - rather than me - is how’d you feel if you were presented with an impeccably ‘original’ 997.2 MT, one owner, ‘normal’ mileage, rock-solid OPC service record in , say, Irish Green or Albert Blue with a history of it being used as ‘everyday and high-day’ transport by the family - loved, cherished and running as the day it left the factory?

I’d personally bite the man’s hand off for it, others would run to buy the ‘latest & greatest’ and would feel weak & under-nourished if they weren’t brandishing anything less than a GT3 at a club meet.... Of course, there’s a myriad of variations between those two poles, too.

It’s all about who you are and what you want out of it. Key point is that there are different people out there - some just like you. If you avoid bland predictability and spec what you want , there’ll always be someone just like you that will agree. Plus, buyers of 10-year Porsches look for something different...clearly. Otherwise they’d be chasing that ex-demo GT3 on that OPC’s forecourt, I guess !
Porschian (09-01-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 10:31 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

The price differential between base and S is so close, making this argument completely mute.

Its a $16k savings. For the same exact engine that has been detuned. You can just flash it and get S power instantly. Just wait for one of the premier manufacturers like Litchfield or Cobb to have a quality tune ready in the USA. Buying an S over a base is a waste of $16k. However, I would wait to do this until after your warranty =O
Old 09-01-2019, 12:07 AM
Porschian
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Dickson
Looking to order a 992 ASAP and trying to decide on which route to take. In 2012 I ordered my first new P-car, a 981 in Mahogany Metallic, and thinking big was the way to go, loaded it up with SC, PTV, PDK, PSE, 20" rims, S model, natural leather, etc. Dealer said it was the most expensive Boxster they'd seen (doh!). While loving the car, over time I realized it was all too much, with features never used (or really needed). So, applying those lessons, here is why I'm ordering a C2:
- don't really need the extra power of the S and can always get it chipped later
- smaller turbos spool up faster = more responsive
- no SC as no real advantage with the MT
- smaller rims mean a less harsh ride
- Racing Yellow, baby!
- save a few $ (rarely a bad thing, but not a primary goal here)
- resale not a huge concern as I plan on having this car for some time, especially if they are going hybrid in the 992.2

Now if we could just get some firm intel on when the MT will be actually available . . .

Any thoughts? Cheers!
I agree wholeheartedly. The car has reached such a level of performance and refinement that the standard model is all one needs.
Manual should bow by end of year and avail. Before spring. Hybrid will change everything.

good luck!
Old 09-01-2019, 12:10 AM
Porschian
Instructor

Originally Posted by moomin
Evo-X on here, and two dealers I spoke to said MT in 2020 Q1.

My limit is as close to 100k as I can get. MT is a must, bose,18 way, plus 20" rims. I agree SC is pointless on a manual. Bummer there's no discount for MT.
Think they’re planning something special for the manuals this time around. After all, it’s the first time in history they’ve delayed a MT on a new Carrera; not to mention releasing the S first.

Last edited by Porschian; 09-01-2019 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:12 AM
Porschian
Instructor

Originally Posted by subshooter
I'm curious as to why people make these claims. I think SC is a must for a manual or PDK. Both of my Porsches are MT w/SC.

SC does a lot more that what you may think. Here is a short list off the top of my head.

Dynamic engine mounts
Rev matching in sport and sport + (manual)
Improved throttle mapping - throttle response goes to "performance"
Sport Response Button (pdk)
Launch control (pdk)
G-force meter
Clock with lap timer
Sport screen on PCM for lap analysis (and draws laps on PCM screen as you go around)
Ability to download performance data to your laptop
Upshift indicator in MFD
Mode dial on steering wheel which also adds I-mode
Relaxed point at which PSM kicks in (i.e. allows more yaw)
Increases idle speed
Opens additional symposer tube for better sound in compartment.
Changes RPM limiter to sport from normal.
Rear axle steering, PASM, PSM, PDCC, PTM and PTV go to sport mode
For me it’s an aesthetic thing. I just don’t like the counter sticking out of the top dash.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:14 AM
Porschian
Instructor

992 Is slightly heavier, though :/
Old 09-01-2019, 12:15 AM
Porschian
Instructor

Originally Posted by tgcrun
The difference is about $16,000. That's pretty significant. There are plenty of reasons to buy a base. If one wants a new 911, but has a limited budget, a base is a great way to go. If one is looking for comfort over increased power, why not use the money to load up on some options like Burmester or 18 way sport seats. By the way, the word is moot, not mute (sorry, I have a thing about the misuse of those two words).
I’m wealthy and still opt for the base. I’m simple and to the point
jkautz (09-01-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 12:16 AM
Porschian
Instructor

Originally Posted by moomin
I need to stay as close to 100k as I can. I also don't need RWS, SC, or the extra HP. PDCC I will miss, but it's either get the base or not at all.
Why, are you buying cash?
Old 09-01-2019, 01:28 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Buy the base and tune it to an S. Done

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...ield-tune/amp/

Last edited by jkautz; 09-01-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:25 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by BertoneBertoni
The enemy of the 992 - in my view - is girth and weight. An extra 50kg across the board over the 991.2 is not funny nor clever.
My understanding is that most of the 992’s weight increase over the 991.2 is from the latest PDK that’s is compatible with an inevitable hybrid system. As well as the particulate filters on the EU press cars to pass EU emissions. Stands to reason that a US-spec manual 992 will be similar in weight to the 991.2...perhaps even a bit lighter.

Quick Reply: Making a case for the base model