911Stalker
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Deleted: posted in wrong spot
Old 01-11-2020, 04:59 PM
Russ Bryant
Track Day

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Guinness you are just another confused millennial. I am a millennial too but I saw the light when I picked up my first Porsche, a 992 C4S in October. I have owned multiple M3s and there is no comparison. The 992 is a driver friendly race car. I’ve put about 1000 miles on my 992 and have no issues navigating through mild interstate traffic at 130+. M3s are nice and fast but not on the performance level of 911s.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:46 PM
soguinness
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ Bryant
Guinness you are just another confused millennial. I am a millennial too but I saw the light when I picked up my first Porsche, a 992 C4S in October. I have owned multiple M3s and there is no comparison. The 992 is a driver friendly race car. I’ve put about 1000 miles on my 992 and have no issues navigating through mild interstate traffic at 130+. M3s are nice and fast but not on the performance level of 911s.
Awesome! To provide a quick update my 992
is on a ship heading to me. It is about a month away! Can’t wait to drive it

Old 01-11-2020, 06:48 PM
SamD
Racer

Received 300 Likes on 141 Posts

I seriously hope you are joking about driving in "mild traffic" at a buck thirty. That's how people get killed, usually the family of 4 in the minivan doing the speed limit . . .
The following 2 users liked this post by SamD:
detansinn (01-11-2020), verstraete (01-12-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 07:02 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 124 Posts

Nice review!
On the color, remember the daylight in Germany is much different than much of North America, so some colors look quite different there....
After 20 yr in different Euro countries, I was surprised by this.
Would wait until you see the color on the 992 in your locality before ordering.
Good luck!

Old 01-11-2020, 07:18 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 826 Likes on 458 Posts

there is a HUGE and noticeable difference in exhaust note between the EU Spec (Particulate filter) cars and the USA cars... TRUST me, the Sport and Sportplus sound is amazing! The turbo doesn't even wake up until you're well into the 4000RPM range... so it sounds like a naturally aspirated ..

As to the interior.. you have to upgrade to the interior with leather and such.. I doubt your car had "All the options" ... more over, as a 2017 BMW 540xi owners, I disagree about the fit and finish.. The Porsche 992 > BMW 540
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 08:06 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

The Carrera is not a "race car". If you're "navigating mild interstate traffic at 130+", you're an idiot and when you eventually do crash into somebody (ie slower traffic), you can bet that your RennList posts will come up. A few years ago, a local guy crashed his Mustang into the back of a compact SUV, at over 150MPH, killing a 9 year old girl. During the trial, his Mustang forum posts were introduced as compelling evidence by the DA. https://www.buckscountycouriertimes....news/308169787

So, slow down, and certainly stop bragging about it in a public forum. I hope that you will "see the light" here.

Originally Posted by 992Sam
there is a HUGE and noticeable difference in exhaust note between the EU Spec (Particulate filter) cars and the USA cars... TRUST me, the Sport and Sportplus sound is amazing! The turbo doesn't even wake up until you're well into the 4000RPM range... so it sounds like a naturally aspirated ..

As to the interior.. you have to upgrade to the interior with leather and such.. I doubt your car had "All the options" ... more over, as a 2017 BMW 540xi owners, I disagree about the fit and finish.. The Porsche 992 > BMW 540
Agreed. There's nothing wrong with the sounds of the US Spec 992s. IMHO, they sound better than the 991.2. The particulate do filters totally neuter the exhaust note. Hopefully, the GT3 won't come with them, because they're purportedly headed for all 911s globally in coming years. Those waiting for the 992.2 are likely in for an unpleasant surprise.

Agreed. The OPs description sounded very standard interior. The full leather interior is legit nice and superior to whatever BMW rental cars is leasing nowadays.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
992Sam (01-12-2020), JCWLS3 (01-15-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 01:11 AM
Russ Bryant
Track Day

Originally Posted by Sam Dickson
I seriously hope you are joking about driving in "mild traffic" at a buck thirty. That's how people get killed, usually the family of 4 in the minivan doing the speed limit . . .
Of course I was joking. However because the 992 can stop faster than it can accelerate, driving at high speeds in traffic can be done responsibly. Just in case though I carry extremely high limits of liability and uninsured motorist coverage.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:11 AM
Russ Bryant
Track Day

[QUOTE=detansinn;16347147]The Carrera is not a "race car". If you're "navigating mild interstate traffic at 130+", you're an idiot and when you eventually do crash into somebody (ie slower traffic), you can bet that your RennList posts will come up. A few years ago, a local guy crashed his Mustang into the back of a compact SUV, at over 150MPH, killing a 9 year old girl. During the trial, his Mustang forum posts were introduced as compelling evidence by the DA. https://www.buckscountycouriertimes....news/308169787

So, slow down, and certainly stop bragging about it in a public forum. I hope that you will "see the light" here.

I whole heartedly disagree with you that the 992 is not a race car. The car is designed, engineered and built to operate safely at high rates of speed. The track experience at PCNA really opened my eyes as to what these cars can do. 0-60 in 2.8 seconds coupled with equivalent braking and handling makes them in fact street legal “race cars.” The damn thing has a “launch mode” enough said. With all of that being said I operate my 992 within its designed and engineered parameters while maintaining a distraction free safe lookout.

While I disagree with the 3rd degree murder conviction (I believe texting while driving is more malicious than driving well in excess of the speed limit), driving any vehicle on an open access highway at a very high rate of speed is putting people in serious danger. On top of that “modifying” vehicles outside of their intended performance capabilities is ignorant.

I see the light now.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:08 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I whole heartedly disagree with you that the 992 is not a race car. The car is designed, engineered and built to operate safely at high rates of speed. The track experience at PCNA really opened my eyes as to what these cars can do. 0-60 in 2.8 seconds coupled with equivalent braking and handling makes them in fact street legal “race cars.” The damn thing has a “launch mode” enough said. With all of that being said I operate my 992 within its designed and engineered parameters while maintaining a distraction free safe lookout.

While I disagree with the 3rd degree murder conviction (I believe texting while driving is more malicious than driving well in excess of the speed limit), driving any vehicle on an open access highway at a very high rate of speed is putting people in serious danger. On top of that “modifying” vehicles outside of their intended performance capabilities is ignorant.

I see the light now.
My wife's Mercedes SUV has launch control and also "built to operate safely at high rates of speed"... like every modern German car, on the autobahn. Her SUV even has a published Nürburgring time, but it's by no means a "race car". The fast and comfortable Carrera is a long way from being a "race car". Heck, the Porsche GT3 cars are merely a proper starting point to build one.

It's nice that the track experience opened your eyes, but it should be noted that the "designed and engineered parameters" of these cars do not necessarily correspond to the parameters of public US roads. As you get more experience on the track, do not be surprised if you find yourself slowing down on the street -- most people with substantial track experience do.

I am sure Drew Bodden fancied himself a capable driver right before he plowed into that SUV and killed that little girl. The "ignorant" part isn't modifying the car -- ignorant is using the performance of the car in an environment not suited to it, putting the driver, and other people at risk. The environment and driver's capabilities are far more important than what the car is capable of. Unfortunately, the driver equivalent of the Dunning Kruger effect is very much a thing.

Be safe.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:14 AM
Lvanpelt729
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

However because the 992 can stop faster than it can accelerate, driving at high speeds in traffic can be done responsibly.
Let me offer you a little piece of good natured advice. There's 2 things you should stop doing:
1) Posting on the internet
2) Driving on public roads

Thanks!
The following 3 users liked this post by Lvanpelt729:
BudgetPlan1 (01-12-2020), SamD (01-12-2020), Seacil (01-13-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 09:16 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Of course I was joking. However because the 992 can stop faster than it can accelerate, driving at high speeds in traffic can be done responsibly. Just in case though I carry extremely high limits of liability and uninsured motorist coverage.
A KIA Optima can "stop faster than it can accelerate".

Quick Reply: Confused after Porsche Drive experience