Sponsored by:

992 Cab S: to pasm, or not to pasm

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 02:14 PM
B3rk
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Osv
PASM is always standard. You can't buy a 992 (or 991.2 for that matter) without it. You can't turn it off either, as stated above the chassis systems (PASM, PDCC, RWS) have two modes (Normal and Sport) switchable via the damper button or the PCM.

In the 992 I honestly don't see a reason not to go with Sport PASM. It's compliant, not fatiguing on long rides, looks better and handles superb. Combined with RWS it makes the car feel much more nimble, stuck to the road and eager to turn.

But: if you have any chance, drive them back to and decide for yourself.
The non S Carrera probably wont have PASM standard.

As I said before I really do not like the stance in the front without the sport PASM, love the stance on my car with the side skirts. But that is just my opinion.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:21 PM
Osv
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by B3rk
The non S Carrera probably wont have PASM standard.
I really doubt that. They made it standard with the 991.2 for all models. Tuning an extra setup (including a spring and damper setup nowhere else to be used due to the inherintely different weight distribution of the 911) just for the base model doesn't make much sense if you can just carry everything over with no effort at all as it has been done in the models before.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:36 PM
antsjey
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 20 Posts

No problem at all with the 10mm drop SPASM. It really is still comfy and sporty.
I've driven 7/8 hour journeys in it no problem at all
The following users liked this post:
Osv (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 02:53 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,191 Likes on 574 Posts

PASM and SPASM cannot be turned off. PASM lowers the car by 10 mm and SPASM by 20 mm (at least that was the case in the 991). SPASM was not an option for the cab and Targa in the 991 but I thought I read somewhere that it is now an option for the 992 (although I could be mistaken). The chassis can be set to normal or sport mode but that has nothing to do with the PASM/SPASM which remains constant. I prefer my chassis set to sport mode as I prefer the stiffer ride but normal mode is nice on long highway cruises. The other variable factor is PDCC which cannot be turned off either. That keeps the car flat in turns. Some people love it, some people are not a fan. I for one love it in my 991.1 GTS.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:10 PM
Osv
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Since there is no car being offered without PASM, the regular chassis is now the new zero and the sport chassis is still 10mm lower respectively with its own setup, stiffer springs and other stuff (front lip, aero settings...).
PDCC is not solely for keeping the car flat, its main intention is a constant adaption of the roll torque distribution depending on the driving situation making the car more stable or more neutral where needed.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:41 PM
TMA
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

AFAIK PASM is standard and SPASM (-10mm) is an option. I asked the forum the same question a few days ago and got great answers/explanations here: https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1129...lowered-2.html

so I opted to add in the SPASM (also because the tester I tried with PASM seemed too soft for my liking).

Tough decision though as I haven’t driven a SPASM equipped 992 though almost all reviewers who did had no complaints.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:11 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks all for the input.
Tough decision when you can't drive it and see for yourself, but heresy: I orderdered it w/o, we'll see
Couple of points, though:
. Someone said you can turn it off. I don't think so. I think he means sport mode
. No one explained what it changes beyond ride height
. I don't care about the look, 10mm
. Someone said it's more compliant in the 992 and I wonder how he knows this?

Anyway, just interested at this point, thanks
Old 07-23-2019, 06:13 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

I stand corrected, sorry
I missed jheskeths post
V informative, thanks
Old 07-23-2019, 06:40 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Originally Posted by not4one
Ok, maybe a bit flip, but you do race and have lots of P and F cars. Your opinion seems pretty informed!
i've raced an SRF3 (spec racer ford) in SCCA for almost 20 yrs. and i've owned a Ferrari Challenge car too. that's what makes this doubly hard; doing what's right for the road (i've owned 3 911's too)
Old 07-23-2019, 06:42 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Originally Posted by TMA
AFAIK PASM is standard and SPASM (-10mm) is an option. I asked the forum the same question a few days ago and got great answers/explanations here: https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1129...lowered-2.html

so I opted to add in the SPASM (also because the tester I tried with PASM seemed too soft for my liking).

Tough decision though as I haven’t driven a SPASM equipped 992 though almost all reviewers who did had no complaints.
omg! 2nd thoughts..too late. order is 'frozen'
Old 07-23-2019, 07:22 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Osv
Since there is no car being offered without PASM, the regular chassis is now the new zero and the sport chassis is still 10mm lower respectively with its own setup, stiffer springs and other stuff (front lip, aero settings...).
PDCC is not solely for keeping the car flat, its main intention is a constant adaption of the roll torque distribution depending on the driving situation making the car more stable or more neutral where needed.
i'm confused. in the USA the car configurator shows PASM as an option. no mention that PASM is standard at all ('the new zero'). instead, PASM is an option here and no mention of "SPASM" at all. and no mention that the new 'standard' ride height is 10mm lower. unconfuse me please

Last edited by tcirillo; 07-23-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:17 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by tcirillo
Thanks all for the input.
Tough decision when you can't drive it and see for yourself, but heresy: I orderdered it w/o, we'll see
Couple of points, though:
. Someone said you can turn it off. I don't think so. I think he means sport mode
. No one explained what it changes beyond ride height
. I don't care about the look, 10mm
. Someone said it's more compliant in the 992 and I wonder how he knows this?

Anyway, just interested at this point, thanks
I have no direct experience with SPASM in the 991.2 or 992.

On my 991.1, when specified along with sport chrono, it has in addition to a lower ride hight and adjustable engine mounts (eg a "stiff" setting), there is the following:

- shorter higher rate springs and a stiffer rear sway bar- which make a large difference in feel and handling over the standard suspension. With sport chrono there is a different limited slip dif too.

The differences are real enough that there are different factory tire alignment specs for the different setups: marginally more "aggressive" control of contact patch at higher G's and sharper "turn in" (via camber and toe). All of that translates into driving differences that are real and obvious to anyone who is sensitive to handling and feel.

This is not to denigrate the "less sporty, more comfort" oriented setup, which may be more suitable for a typical cabriolet use profile anyway.
The 992 cabs are reportedly "stiffer" structurally than before, too and thus the SPASM option.

PS The handling will be superb in any case.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:53 AM
SamD
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 141 Posts

i'm confused. in the USA the car configurator shows PASM as an option. no mention that PASM is standard at all ('the new zero'). instead, PASM is an option here and no mention of "SPASM" at all. and no mention that the new 'standard' ride height is 10mm lower. unconfuse me please
From the configurator:

PASM Sport Suspension (Lowered 10mm)
  • Electronically variable active damping system with two manually selectable modes: "Normal" and "Sport"
  • Ride height lowered 10 mm compared to standard
  • Stiffer anti-roll bars (front and rear)
  • Extended front spoiler lip
  • Increased maximum rear spoiler height
Known colloquially as SPASM . . .

From the Porsche website in detailing the 992 suspension:

Depending on the road conditions and the driving mode, the upgraded Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) actively and continuously controls the damping force for each individual wheel. Result: reduced body movement and thus more comfort with increased dynamism. The PASM sport suspension, lowered by 10 mm (0.39 inch), is available as an option, making the new 911 even more neutral and balanced when it’s on the road.

So, PASM is standard . . .
Old 07-23-2019, 01:22 PM
tcirillo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sam Dickson
From the configurator:

PASM Sport Suspension (Lowered 10mm)
  • Electronically variable active damping system with two manually selectable modes: "Normal" and "Sport"
  • Ride height lowered 10 mm compared to standard
  • Stiffer anti-roll bars (front and rear)
  • Extended front spoiler lip
  • Increased maximum rear spoiler height
Known colloquially as SPASM . . .

From the Porsche website in detailing the 992 suspension:

Depending on the road conditions and the driving mode, the upgraded Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) actively and continuously controls the damping force for each individual wheel. Result: reduced body movement and thus more comfort with increased dynamism. The PASM sport suspension, lowered by 10 mm (0.39 inch), is available as an option, making the new 911 even more neutral and balanced when it’s on the road.

So, PASM is standard . . .
you're most kind. not to belabor this (but i really do want to understand it)...in the above statement, what is it that suggests that PASM is actually standard. what is meant in the configurator when PASM is listed as an option (an option i de-selected at this point)?
thanks again

Ps maybe it's the confusing nomenclature?

Last edited by tcirillo; 07-23-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:00 PM
tcirillo
Instructor

you're most kind. not to belabor this (but i really do want to understand it)...in the above statement, what is it that suggests that PASM is actually standard. what is meant in the configurator when PASM is listed as an option (an option i de-selected at this point)?
thanks again

Ps maybe it's the confusing nomenclature?
i've re-read it. i think i understand now. and i get your point, the pasm being the base ie standard suspension (why they'd call it that? to confuse it w PASMsport? porsche). thanks again

Quick Reply: 992 Cab S: to pasm, or not to pasm