Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

You can always add it later.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:02 PM
quale
Track Day

Received 79 Likes on 16 Posts

"Elegant, luxurious and yet appropriately focused and flab-free, it makes you smile every time you climb in, just as the 10mm lower suspension option, while worth its weight in gold when you're really trying, makes you wince. (Too unyielding for UK roads, you need it only if you're planning regular trackdays – same with the ceramic brakes.)" https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/best/sports-cars/

Author of this Car article goes on to ask: "Do you need the 10mm suspension drop? No. Do you need the new Carrera S in your life, whatever the cost? Yes."

Photo of the front lower spoiler shows the test car had the PASM option.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:15 PM
B3rk
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

It is only 10 mm. but the stance difference is night and day. I do not have front lift, speedbumps can sometimes be a headache but most of them are ok. I love it!
Old 07-16-2019, 05:36 PM
TMA
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default SPASM on 992

About to lock spec on my 992 and like many on this thread I’m not sure whether to add SPASM or not. Roads are smooth and new where I live but having owned a 997, 991.1 and 991.2 all without SPASM I’m wondering whether I should spec it or not. I used to drive them mainly in regular mode as I found sport too harsh but I’m loving the lowered stance of the SPASM as I want to get my car as close as possible to a GTS spec. Dealer doesn’t have demos with SPASM which makes it even harder to decide and sales consultant advising against it. When tested, I found the 992 with PASM too soft but I don’t want to be stuck with SPASM forever if I make the wrong choice. Thoughts?
Old 07-16-2019, 05:59 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 317 Likes on 192 Posts

'I want to get my car as close as possible to a GTS spec"

SPASM for sure if you are serious about that.
The following 2 users liked this post by chuckbdc:
AdamSanta85 (07-24-2019), TMA (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 06:15 PM
G650
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TMA
About to lock spec on my 992 and like many on this thread I’m not sure whether to add SPASM or not. Roads are smooth and new where I live but having owned a 997, 991.1 and 991.2 all without SPASM I’m wondering whether I should spec it or not. I used to drive them mainly in regular mode as I found sport too harsh but I’m loving the lowered stance of the SPASM as I want to get my car as close as possible to a GTS spec. Dealer doesn’t have demos with SPASM which makes it even harder to decide and sales consultant advising against it. When tested, I found the 992 with PASM too soft but I don’t want to be stuck with SPASM forever if I make the wrong choice. Thoughts?
Both the standard and sports PASM on the 992 have a much greater dynamic range the previous generation. In other words, it gives a softer, more compliant ride when in normal mode, while also being firmer when pushed in Sports mode. This is most likely why you found the demos with standard PASM to feel softer. The same suspension will also feel firmer, when needed, than the 991 gen.

That being said, if you want to get as close to the GTS spec and like the lowered stance, get the SPASM.
The new SPASM will also provide that greater softer and firmer range.

The following 2 users liked this post by G650:
lottadot (02-17-2022), TMA (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 06:31 PM
TMA
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by G650
Both the standard and sports PASM on the 992 have a much greater dynamic range the previous generation. In other words, it gives a softer, more compliant ride when in normal mode, while also being firmer when pushed in Sports mode. This is most likely why you found the demos with standard PASM to feel softer. The same suspension will also feel firmer, when needed, than the 991 gen.

That being said, if you want to get as close to the GTS spec and like the lowered stance, get the SPASM.

Thanks I really appreciate that explanation. “In other words, it gives a softer, more compliant ride when in normal mode, while also being firmer when pushed in Sports mode” exactly what I’m looking for.
The following users liked this post:
G650 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 10:20 AM
findtom
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
You can always add it later.
If I might add my 10p worth.... It's not easy to add later. You would need, (I think) 20 to 30 components and the man hours required to change it are nuts. You would be better off changing the springs and dampers for non-OEM stuff. If you have a new 992 would you really want non-Porsche stuff on your new car? I have had 3 991.1s and 1 991.2. My first car didn't have SPASM and the other 3 did. The difference in handling is night and day and the stance is totally wrong, (IMO) without it. I think that if you want a 911 as a sports car you might be buying the wrong car if comfort is more of a priority than proper ride and compliance. For me the steering feel is far more positive with SPASM, the stance is better and the car rides better. Yes it's a harder ride than PASM but its a tiny price to pay when buying a sports car.....

10mm sounds like such a small difference but what isn't made clear is the way that 10mm feels when you are pushing driving hard. (That's going to be read wrong isn't it)...

Tom
The following users liked this post:
lottadot (02-17-2022)
Old 07-23-2019, 06:44 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by G650

this is a fantastically useful post; thanks much
Old 07-23-2019, 03:09 PM
tcirillo
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
PASM is standard since 991.2 gen and that continues in 992. S PASM is the same thing mostly, but 5mm lower...10mm lower than standard non-PASM (which doesn't exist anymore?).

Honestly they both perform almost the same and many wouldn't even notice. Both are comfortable in normal mode (for sports car standards) and really firm in sport mode.

That ever so slight lowered looks better, but you'll scrap easier (never been been a problem for me though). Its actually rare on 'dealer stock' cars, but if I were getting an S, i'd go for it (not available for base cars so that people would go for S). Last thing I'd want is to buy a sports car thinking the wheel gap and ride height too high then go wanting to lower it... (been there done that though).
are you saying that sPasm which is the option in a 992, is only 5mm lower than the CS's Pasm, which is now standard in the S? and, 10mm lower than the base Carrera? do i understand correctly?
Old 07-23-2019, 03:19 PM
Osv
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

People are getting really confused here.

PASM is standard on all Carreras. Sport PASM is 10mm lower. It's that simple. There is no non-PASM chassis available.
The following 2 users liked this post by Osv:
JDeRose (12-09-2020), JHesketh (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 01:03 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Go see on a ruler how insignificant 10mm is. I have SPASM on my GTS with front axle lift and I dont have to use the axle lift.
idk man, I have SPASM on my 911 50th (991.1) and I scrape all over the place, even trying to attack at an angle/snail pace. Since I daily drive my 911, I've even contemplated trying to raise the suspension/car, but I love the stance of it sitting 10mm lower (psychological I'm sure)

I scrape way more in my 50th, than in my .2 GT3 (I used axle lift whenever I could)

For a DD, can only speak to my experience but I probably wouldn't option it so I stress less on ramps/driveways/entryways
Old 07-24-2019, 03:11 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,190 Likes on 574 Posts

I agree with Sam - I have PASM on my 991.1 GTS and the front spoiler gets scraped routinely, despite my best efforts. No FAL option in the 991.1 GTS. The quote I got for an aftermarket FAL was $10k - no thanks. I just replace the plastic spoiler every year or so. Loving life in my GT3T with the FAL. Makes a huge difference. With SPASM being 1 full cm lower than PASM, the scrape fest in my GTS would only be magnified. SPASM was not an option in my cab, anyway, but if I were spec'ing a 992, I would go with SPASM and the FAL. For Los Angeles streets, there is no way I would get a 911 without the FAL, if it is an available option.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:42 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by tcirillo
are you saying that sPasm which is the option in a 992, is only 5mm lower than the CS's Pasm, which is now standard in the S? and, 10mm lower than the base Carrera? do i understand correctly?
That is incorrect. On the 992 models available now the Sports PASM is 10mm lower than the standard PASM. No idea where the 5mm info came from but Porsche state 10mm difference for the 992 S models for standard PASM vs Sports PASM as does every single review. Nobody knows any information about the 992 Carrera (non-S models) yet - that might also have standard PASM or that might be optional.

I looked into Sports PASM in detail when I ordered my car back in February as I wanted the SPASM but that 10mm drop would require me to also get the front axle lift due to the terrible roads around here and the steep drop-off into my driveway - decided against it for my 15k miles/year daily driver and stayed with the regular PASM that comes on every 992 S and 4S.

Honestly this is really simple to understand and I am not sure why some people are finding it confusing...
Old 07-24-2019, 03:49 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,183 Likes on 698 Posts

It's a sport car, add the sports options.

Quick Reply: PASM sport -10mm lowered