darkknight26
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 71 Posts

Old 06-01-2019, 12:21 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Likewise with the same driver, slower by about a second in the Autobild test.

Why?
We know why.
Semi-slick tires on the 991 GTS vs street tires on the 992 explains the 0.75 sec difference. Let's be objective about this...

Otherwise you are saying that the 991.2 GTS at 1:31.61 (on semi-slicks) is a faster car than the 991.2 Turbo S with a slower time of 1:32.3 (on street tires) - do you really believe that objectively?
Old 06-01-2019, 03:23 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

The point being, which you don't seem to get at any level - is that despite all the Porsche BS the new 450HP car is slower than the old 450HP car round a track - perhaps only marginally slower but nonetheless still slower- why?

To be fair, you're comparing the 992S against the 991.2GTS. I imagine the 992GTS will be faster than 991.2GTS. The 991 would likely have had all lap-time improving options - SPASM, RAS, PDCC etc. Possibly even red seatbelts.

I'm not at all invested in this comparison, as I too know that the driver is the most differentiating factor.

BTW - I own a 991.2GTS.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:45 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by phefner
Was this video a spoof (joke)? The guy was doing parade laps, never going past 6/10, sitting way too close to the steering wheel and apparently loves braking as much as sex (in his own words). A Spec ('98) Boxster driven properly would lap him after 4-5 laps.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:49 PM
B3rk
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pelucidor
We know why.
Semi-slick tires on the 991 GTS vs street tires on the 992 explains the 0.75 sec difference. Let's be objective about this...

Otherwise you are saying that the 991.2 GTS at 1:31.61 (on semi-slicks) is a faster car than the 991.2 Turbo S with a slower time of 1:32.3 (on street tires) - do you really believe that objectively?
This!

992 Carrera S time is comparable with 991 turbo s times, which is amazing to say the least! Comparing the GTS is just apples and oranges with the semi slicks

Old 06-01-2019, 07:31 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,029 Likes on 653 Posts

Corsa are not semi slicks - they are a softer compound street tire.

Trofeo R > MPSC N1 > Corsa > P Zero N1 (in terms of perfromance)

The peak lineal G for these range from 1.8 in the case of the Trofeo R to 1.6 in the case of fresh P Zero N1.

Above: Left to right - Trofeo R, MPSC2 N1, Corsa N0 and P Zero N1
Below: Semi slick Advan 050 soft

In the case of the turbo S it carries a lot of weight and AWD which can hamper it through the twisties at least in the dry.

Last edited by groundhog; 06-02-2019 at 03:46 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:47 AM
B3rk
Instructor

Corsa are not semi slicks - they are a softer compound street tire.

Trofeo R > MPSC N1 > Corsa > P Zero N1 (in terms of perfromance)

The peak lineal G for these range from 1.8 in the case of the Trofeo R to 1.6 in the case of fresh P Zero N1.

Above: Left to right - Trofeo R, MPSC2 N1, Corsa N0 and P Zero N1
Below: Semi slick Advan 050 soft

In the case of the turbo S it carries a lot of weight and AWD which can hamper it through the twisties at least in the dry.
Still apples and oranges!

About the turbo s, EVO tested turbo s and GT3 RS are just as quick around a track.

start comparing apples with apples and stop this nonsence discussion.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:02 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by B3rk
Still apples and oranges!

About the turbo s, EVO tested turbo s and GT3 RS are just as quick around a track.

start comparing apples with apples and stop this nonsence discussion.
Comparing a 450HP 911 with another 450HP 911 is comparing apples to oranges? I don't think so.

hmm - the 450 HP 992 (maxed out with all performance fruit and latest Porsche approved tires was slower round a track than the 991.2 450HP car).

This is entirely objective - totally clear 😀

I have driven on Corsa they are marginally better than P Zero N1 when fresh and can prove it through extensive logging - that's why I know what lineal g they generate and that's one of the reasons I along with most, don't bother with them.

Try and put forward evidence, something concrete any thing - please - this is getting painful - the review by a guy that has no idea and commentary from people that have no idea about tires is truly painful.

I have bothered to post photos of the tires so even the most ignorant can recognise the distinction.

Do you want me me to explain?

OK I will, the outgoing 450HP car has more torque 550Nm VS 530Nm than the new 450HP car it also has less weight and better weight distribution. This means it makes more power under the curve, it is also more direct into corners but more twitchy something you have to set up for.

Hence it it is generally quicker and more fun getting there - as most of us have already worked out. Turn in feel is irrelevannt for experienced drivers - they know how to deal with weight transfer and they know how to maximise the grip they have.

So no, apples to oranges and pears is BS just a reflection of the usual P car owner ignorance about the most basic elements of a car - the tires.

Hence the reason I won't/ don't have any association with P car owners - they are just embarrassing and sorry to say, obnoxious in equal measure.

Unfortunately this reflects my experience on Rennlist and actual experience in the real world.

Porsche owners are not liked because of their cars, but rather, because of their ignorance.

Good luck!

Last edited by groundhog; 06-02-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:24 AM
B3rk
Instructor

Comparing a 450HP 911 with another 450HP 911 is comparing apples to oranges? I don't think so.

hmm - the 450 HP 992 (maxed out with all performance fruit and latest Porsche approved tires was slower round a track than the 991.2 450HP car).

This is entirely objective - totally clear 😀

I have driven on Corsa they are marginally better than P Zero N1 when fresh and can prove it through extensive logging - that's why I know what lineal g they generate and that's one of the reasons I along with most, don't bother with them.

Try and put forward evidence, something concrete any thing - please - this is getting painful - the review by a guy that has no idea and commentary from people that have no idea about tires is truly painful.

I have bothered to post photos of the tires so even the most ignorant can recognise the distinction.

Do you want me me to explain?

OK I will, the outgoing 450HP car has more torque 550Nm VS 530Nm than the new 450HP car it also has less weight and better weight distribution. This means it makes more power under the curve, it is also more direct into corners but more twitchy something you have to set up for.

Hence it it is generally quicker and more fun getting there - as most of us have already worked out. Turn in feel is irrelevannt for experienced drivers - they know how to deal with weight transfer and they know how to maximise the grip they have.

So no, apples to oranges and pears is BS just a reflection of the usual P car owner ignorance about the most basic elements of a car - the tires.

Hence the reason I won't/ don't have any association with P car owners - they are just embarrassing and sorry to say, obnoxious in equal measure.

Unfortunately this reflects my experience on Rennlist and actual experience in the real world.

Porsche owners are not liked because of their cars, but rather, because of their ignorance.

Good luck!
Oh now you get even all personal, how great, good for you! Something about ignorant?

As the expert you say you are you know that comparing HP and Torque (even if it is very close in this case) does not say everything. 992 is almost a complete new car. Like the fact 911’s often beat cars with alot more hp.

But are you happy when I say the 991 GTS is quicker as a 991 turbo s and 991 GT3 RS and the 992 Carrera s is slower as the 991 GTS? Because this is what you are basically saying. Well fine then, I will see in a few months when there are more tests if you dont mind!

since you do not like P cars and their owners I wouldn’t read or hang out here! Makes you a happier man.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:38 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by B3rk
Oh now you get even all personal, how great, good for you! Something about ignorant?

As the expert you say you are you know that comparing HP and Torque (even if it is very close in this case) does not say everything. 992 is almost a complete new car. Like the fact 911’s often beat cars with alot more hp.

But are you happy when I say the 991 GTS is quicker as a 991 turbo s and 991 GT3 RS and the 992 Carrera s is slower as the 991 GTS? Because this is what you are basically saying. Well fine then, I will see in a few months when there are more tests if you dont mind!

since you do not like P cars and their owners I wouldn’t read or hang out here! Makes you a happier man.
I won't be - nothing to see or learn here - I actually, for a brief moment, thought there may be a small amount of insight or interest in change or understanding but alas no.

I gave you a heads up about the tires - not sure why, I assumed some would be genuinely interested - should have known better.

The fact that some of you think/thought a corsa is a semi slick is well, just priceless - but then again not surprising.given the general lack of insight and understanding in this thread.

Going, gone!
Old 06-02-2019, 11:55 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

I won't be - nothing to see or learn here - I actually, for a brief moment, thought there may be a small amount of insight or interest in change or understanding but alas no.

I gave you a heads up about the tires - not sure why, I assumed some would be genuinely interested - should have known better.

The fact that some of you think/thought a corsa is a semi slick is well, just priceless - but then again not surprising.given the general lack of insight and understanding in this thread.

Going, gone!
Sure hope so. Less nonsense makes for a better forum.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:42 PM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

I seriously don’t understand the fighting here. It does seem like an apples to apples comparison since the two cars have the same HP and a GTS is basically a more track specced S with a bit more HP.

Now of course the 992 GTS will have even more HP and will be faster than a 991.2 GTS. But it sounds like the 992 S may actually be slower than a 991.2 GTS. I agree a proper test should use same tires and same driver though. Also, naturally, 992 base v 991 base, 992 S v 991 S, etc. track times should all result in the 992 being faster (again the 992 has more HP). If not, Porsche would likely become unsuccessful. But we can certainly debate other characteristics of the car that aren’t as easily quantified and we SHOULD be able to do so in a fun, non demeaning way.

What I don’t understand is that there appear to be some 992 buyers that are too sensitive about any negative comments. Similarly, there are some 991 owners that are too aggressive in saying the 991 is clearly better for reasons that simply can’t be quantified and are, in fact, just opinions. (BTW, I don’t think Groundhog is one of them.) Those folks should realize at the end of the day IT’S JUST A CAR. It doesn’t define you or at least it shouldn’t. If it does, you have a pretty pathetic life. None of us are any better than the next person because we drive a 992 or a 991. Now someone might be for other reasons, but certainly not because they bought a car.

So let’s have healthy discussions and debates people, and leave the silliness aside.
The following 2 users liked this post by TennisGuy:
Brad911 (03-07-2020), exponential (03-12-2020)
Old 06-02-2019, 05:14 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Feelings are often hurt on Rennlist and with Porsche cars... Everyone needs justification.

This has been shown in this section, the 991 section, the 997, and others that I haven't checked.

Berk, I agree with what groundhog says and believe me it's nothing personal between him and you. Check his post history.. It's very detailed and track/race oriented. He knows what he's talking about.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:51 PM
PPS
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, he dislikes the tires and wants a R tire I guess - or a Michelin 4S perhaps?

Problem is - there are no R-tires for the rear axle of this car. No one makes a 305/30-21 R a 4s or not even the new Super Sport line-up from Goodyear has one - or in the plans....

So I looked at the set up of the GT3 RS for mine: 265/35-20 and 325/30-21... and faced another problem... I need new wheels.

The original wheels will not take a 265 and a 325 - they're too narrow - and all wheels that could have worked have a center bolt.

So I found some one that could make me a wheel... only to find out that since my car is a 4S the ECU will not settle for my rear wheels being so off in height so it will go ape**** after 20-30 meters.

The conclusion so far... we need to wait for some one to make a 305/30-21.

Then the last challenge - for now - shows up - no one has a 305/30-21 tire planed, yet.

Catch 22....

Last edited by PPS; 06-03-2019 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:46 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 755 Posts

Anyone with real world experience and knowledge of the 991 to comment on the electric brake boost on the 992? Seems to be largely ignored, would be a deal breaker to me. Magazines can be difficult to trust...

https://autoweek.com/article/technol...slate-advances

Quick Reply: 992 Track Day Review by Janko