Sponsored by:

992 4S review by CARWOW

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 12:42 PM
ddolbi
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Steph001
Then there's the hardware, with Porsche having upgraded both the exhaust (standard and sport versions) and the sound symposer (tuber channeling engine noise into the cabin, rather that speaker-delivered aural augmentation as you get with brands like BMW).

And, before inviting you to check out the 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S track stint, we'll remind you how the carmaker describes the said hardware changes.

"The engineers have paid great attention to the sound balance of the intake and exhaust sides when carrying out further development. A sound symposer with activatable second channel behind the rear trim panel provides information on the breathing frequency of the flat engine. The exhaust systems have been revamped to offer a characteristic and attractive sound experience for the Porsche 911, in spite of stricter noise requirements and installation of the gasoline particulate filter. The twin-branch exhaust system now includes map-controlled and fully variable exhaust flaps. This control system permits both optimum power development as well as an emotional sound. The flaps are actuated electrically by means of stepper motors. This makes it possible to now also set intermediate positions," we are being told
So they revamped the whole exhaust system and re-engineered the sound symposers and sound that tame and lame as shown in this video? 991.2 sound was pretty monotone and lame but 992 sounds even worse in this video. I just hope they didn't implement Soundaktor as in 718 for 992. Soundaktor is lame device even for VW or Audi. No doubt 992 will be fast and even more comfortable but will it be exciting enough?
Old 05-14-2019, 01:09 PM
Steph001
Track Day

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
bad url says my browser
Source here: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...er-130970.html

Another source which mentions it: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/07/...ls-technology/

“The tweaked exhaust system — which in Europe will flow through a gas particulate filter that adds 15 pounds — employs fully variable exhaust flaps. As with the turbo wastegates, the formerly vacuum-controlled, binary-position flap controllers take orders from electric stepper motors and provide a wider range of sound. Even so, the sound symposer first installed on the 991 series has added a second, switchable channel behind the rear trim panel to pipe more aural sensation into the cabin.”
Old 05-14-2019, 01:11 PM
Freddie81
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Drove the 992s a while ago with pse and was very surprised how good the cabin sound was when driving fast and quickly downshifting. I had a 991.2 GT3 before and thought the 992 sounded even better inside with auto blipping. When watching the videos how it sounds from the outside I wouldn't be surprised if it has speaker enhanced exhaust sound.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:32 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Freddie81
Drove the 992s a while ago with pse and was very surprised how good the cabin sound was when driving fast and quickly downshifting. I had a 991.2 GT3 before and thought the 992 sounded even better inside with auto blipping. When watching the videos how it sounds from the outside I wouldn't be surprised if it has speaker enhanced exhaust sound.
I thought I heard a reviewer say the car sounds good from the inside... but from outside you can't hear anything? lol

I was behind a 991.2 yesterday... and oddly enough when it drove away from the light I heard the turbo spool... but not the exhaust!
Old 05-14-2019, 05:05 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 312 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Freddie81
The good cabin sounds are melodious air intake noises from the engine compartment. Nothing artificial.
But excellent pipes! It really shows how much the rising/falling notes of the intakes adds to the overall flat 6 ambience.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:17 PM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Did he say they're pumping fake engine noise through the speakers at 16:47? Say it isn't so.
My M3 does that..... beyond annoying.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:57 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Reading about artificial sound being pumped into the cabin, turbo spooling noise and particulate filters is sad to me ymmv.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:51 AM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
Reading about artificial sound being pumped into the cabin, turbo spooling noise and particulate filters is sad to me ymmv.
Some of us think that the reviewer just made a mistake on this item - probably real sounds being piped in vs made up sounds. Honestly if it was artificial then Porsche would have made it sound much better

Quick Reply: 992 4S review by CARWOW