Sponsored by:

Seat comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 11:36 PM
JPT99
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seat comparison

Can someone please explain all the seat options and the positives/negatives? I’m leaning towards the Sport Plus seats because they seemed to be the most comfortable. The 18 way were a close second, but were more difficult to get in/out of. I’ve also heard people saying the 14 way are the most comfortable, but I thought they were the least comfortable. I’m hoping there is a consensus on which seats are more comfortable. I don’t care about the lateral bolstering much because I won’t be tracking the car. If anyone has experience with the 992 seats, that would be great!
Old 04-18-2019, 09:09 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by JPT99
Can someone please explain all the seat options and the positives/negatives? I’m leaning towards the Sport Plus seats because they seemed to be the most comfortable. The 18 way were a close second, but were more difficult to get in/out of. I’ve also heard people saying the 14 way are the most comfortable, but I thought they were the least comfortable. I’m hoping there is a consensus on which seats are more comfortable. I don’t care about the lateral bolstering much because I won’t be tracking the car. If anyone has experience with the 992 seats, that would be great!
FYI:
18-way = Sport Plus Seats
14-way = Sport Seats

14-way and 18-way are only the "more adjustable" versions of the sport and sport plus seats (respectively).

That being said, the Sport Plus seats have the most bolstering, but if you have the 18-way adjustability with them I imagine you can make them just as comfortable.
Personally, I'm not a wide/large person. While I have the 14-way now in my Cayman and they're nice, I'd like more bolsters.

Last edited by iliveoncaffiene; 04-18-2019 at 01:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
svkarl (09-06-2020)
Old 04-18-2019, 11:47 AM
DY369
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Do we know if the seats are different in the 992 from the 991? Any changes?
Old 04-18-2019, 01:00 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DY369
Do we know if the seats are different in the 992 from the 991? Any changes?
About 5 minutes on the online configurator and I grabbed these 2 images of the 18-way seats in the 992 vs. 991 (991 is the MT)

https://imgur.com/a/PnqJqly

Yes they are different. The 18-way adjustments are probably the same, but the padding definitely looks different.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:17 PM
medimpo
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I have tried both 992 seats and the 18-way fit my body much better even without adjusting it. I am 6'5"
G650 (09-05-2020)
Old 04-18-2019, 01:52 PM
JPT99
Intermediate

There are 4 seat options:

Sport Seats (4-way) . Driver and front passenger seats include electric adjustment of backrest angle and seat height. Manual fore/aft adjustment.

Sport Seats Plus (4-way) Driver and passenger seats with extended bolsters on seat backrest for additional shoulder support. Front seats offer electric adjustment of seat backrest and seat height. Manual adjustment of fore/aft position.

Power Sport Seats (14-way) . Driver's seat features memory function for seating position, steering column and side mirrors as well as individual setting such as lights, wipers, climate control, door lock setting, instrument cluster and PCM. Settings can be recalled using the additional memory buttons in the door. Electric adjustment of height and fore/aft of steering column. Front seats offer electric adjustment of:
  • Seat backrest
  • Seat height
  • Fore/aft position
  • Seat squab inclination
  • Seat squab depth
  • Lumbar support (4-way)
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) . Driver and passenger seats with extended bolsters on seat backrest for additional shoulder support. Driver's seat features memory function of seat position, steering column and side mirrors as well as individual setting such as lights, wipers, climate control, door lock setting, on-board computer and PCM. Electric adjustment of height and fore/aft of steering column. Front seats offer electric adjustment of:
  • Seat backrest
  • Seat height
  • Fore/aft position
  • Seat squab inclination
  • Seat squab depth
  • Lumbar support (4-way)
  • Seat squab side bolster
  • Backrest side bolsters

This is on the USA configurator. Not sure if this is the same in other countries. So far I prefer the 4 way. I don't want or need the bolsters. Makes it more difficult to get in/out of. Wondering if the 992 seats are exactly the same or not. Thx
Old 04-18-2019, 03:56 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JPT99
This is on the USA configurator. Not sure if this is the same in other countries. So far I prefer the 4 way. I don't want or need the bolsters. Makes it more difficult to get in/out of. Wondering if the 992 seats are exactly the same or not. Thx
It's the same in all countries for seats. Which 4-way? There are 2 different bolsterings for 4-way. You can get extended bolsters and 4-way seats too....

At the base of it there are only 2 different "seats" (but with different adjustment capabilities within each):
1. Sport Seats (4-way) / Power Sport Seats (14-way). (AKA "less bolstering")
2. Sport Seats Plus (4-way) / Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way). (AKA "more bolstering")

Differences:
Take a look at the pictures I posted: https://imgur.com/a/PnqJqly
There is a difference between 991 and 992, but it's most likely just the padding / pattern. I bet the mechanicals are nearly identical.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:38 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

If I order a 992, it will like be the sport seat plus 4-ways. Over sixty pounds of weight for minute seat adjustments isn't too important for me. The 14-ways I currently have are fine, but the seats do not have enough cushioning. I read that is due to thinner seats to support the motors and seat ventilation. So at this point in time, I would likely order the sport seat plus 4-ways heated with sport-tex. I read they offer the most cushioning and good support. The only caveat is that I have not sat in them, and my SA tells me that they are rare and I haven't had a chance to try them.

My first car at sixteen had seats went forward and back. I was thrilled when i was twenty to buy my Fiat Spider that had 2 way seat - seats forward/back, seat back tilt adjustment. Add height adjustment to that, and I think that's all I need.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:38 PM
Mechanic
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm going to wade in here since I've faced this issue twice.

In my humble opinion, it is absolutely essential, particular when purchasing/leasing a $120k+ automobile, that you see, feel, and sit upon the seat(s) you are considering. Everyone's leg-length, bum and sitting height are unique. Many who choose the 14-way seat will tell you that it feels vastly different from the 18-way. Totally subjective opinions. All of which are meaningless to you. Ideally, you may have the opportunity to drive several cars with the seat(s) you are considering. But, in lieu of that, I oh-so-humbly recommend you find a store that can demonstrate each seat you are considering, or that you pony up the bucks needed to visit one of the two "Experience Centers" where you will have that opportunity. Yes, it certainly would be great if the 4-way seat fits you perfectly and you can save several thousand dollars. However, if it turns out that that seat is uncomfortable 10 miles out, you're SOL. Also, I wouldn't overlook the fact that the next buyer of your car, reading the options list online, will be skeptical regarding the merits of your "econo"-seat when s/he is considering an $80k-$90k 992 and realizes most have much more expensive seats to choose from.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:36 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechanic
I'm going to wade in here since I've faced this issue twice.

In my humble opinion, it is absolutely essential, particular when purchasing/leasing a $120k+ automobile, that you see, feel, and sit upon the seat(s) you are considering. Everyone's leg-length, bum and sitting height are unique. Many who choose the 14-way seat will tell you that it feels vastly different from the 18-way. Totally subjective opinions. All of which are meaningless to you. Ideally, you may have the opportunity to drive several cars with the seat(s) you are considering. But, in lieu of that, I oh-so-humbly recommend you find a store that can demonstrate each seat you are considering, or that you pony up the bucks needed to visit one of the two "Experience Centers" where you will have that opportunity. Yes, it certainly would be great if the 4-way seat fits you perfectly and you can save several thousand dollars. However, if it turns out that that seat is uncomfortable 10 miles out, you're SOL. Also, I wouldn't overlook the fact that the next buyer of your car, reading the options list online, will be skeptical regarding the merits of your "econo"-seat when s/he is considering an $80k-$90k 992 and realizes most have much more expensive seats to choose from.
That’s the beauty of a lease - no worries on resale - just order what you want.

Going to an experience center is an excellent idea, but my butt needs about an eight hour trip to decide on the seats. The X3 seats are fine on long trips, but my 14-way seats with heat and ventilation make my butt sore after about six hours.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:21 PM
rest
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree that there is an element of subjectivity to comfort; priority is also individual.

For me, I see the seats as one of the most direct pieces of a car that I am in contact with. I mean, it is a car and I'm going to be seating there for quite some time. So, it is top in my priority (learned from the past...)

Some ppl who have owned both types of seats have reported that the padding on the 18-way seats feel more comfy (991.x). I take that subjectively. Porsche has said that the padding of the new 992 seats have changed. So, who knows if this subjective opinion would hold.

One other element to consider on actual difference between the 4-way and either the 14\18-way, as some already know, is that with the 4-way you loose the seat memory functionality.
It is one of those priorities where some will go "I don't care" about it. I value this feature so that when my wife and I drive our cars, we can easily put it back just right without any fuss.

Next, is the design of the seat itself. In the 991.x, the difference between sport seats vs plus, design wise, wasn't much to me (subjective). But, with the 992, I do like a lot more the design\stitching of the sport seats plus.

The negative of the sport seats plus for some is that with the increased bolstering, as the OP noted, makes the seats harder to get in and out. My wife doesn't like them. I like them and can deal with the getting in\out (you get to learn the tips to make it an easier process). To me, the benefits outweighs this negative.

BTW, with the sport-tex seats in the 992, seat ventilation is not an option.

So, I chose the 18-way sport seats plus as it gave me the options and features I wanted as priority. I don't think Porsche will make their expensive seat less comfy and with all the adjustabilities, I am ensuring that I can find just the right setting ;-)
The negative... yeah, they are pricey but that was factored in from the beginning that I started configuring the car.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:26 PM
rest
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About the sport-tex... meaning there is no separate seat heating option. It is either seat ventilation, which it looks like it brings the seat heating.
And, since you can't select it with the sport-tex, no seat heating. This probably may change later and seat heating will be its own option as with 991.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:16 PM
Ukkid74
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 308 Posts

Sport tex seats are awesome here in FL. I have them with silver trim in my 911 T
dhirm5 (02-02-2020)
Old 04-19-2019, 02:09 AM
JPT99
Intermediate

The Sports Plus seats I test drove were the Sport-Tex. I really liked the way they felt. I’m pretty sure I read you can get them heated. I know cooled isn’t an option, but I’ve heard they do alright without it.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:50 AM
SamD
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by rest
About the sport-tex... meaning there is no separate seat heating option. It is either seat ventilation, which it looks like it brings the seat heating.
And, since you can't select it with the sport-tex, no seat heating. This probably may change later and seat heating will be its own option as with 991.
Heated seats are standard equipment on the 992. At least in the US . . .

Quick Reply: Seat comparison