Sponsored by:

Seat comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 07:03 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,912 Likes on 1,539 Posts
Default Early signs of wear - 18 way seats

Here are the pictures of the side bolsters on my 2200 mile old 992. I know it's only a little wear but I'd have expected not to see this for some time yet, and I do appreciate how I enter and exit the car plays a part. But still.

Drivers (LH) side

Passengers (RH) side
Old 11-15-2020, 07:06 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 358 Likes on 223 Posts

YIKES! Bull in china shop?! Looks like you are really engaging with them in/out...
Old 11-15-2020, 07:22 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 512 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Here are the pictures of the side bolsters on my 2200 mile old 992. I know it's only a little wear but I'd have expected not to see this for some time yet, and I do appreciate how I enter and exit the car plays a part. But still.

Drivers (LH) side

Passengers (RH) side
That is unacceptable ! Have you contacted your dealer about this ? There should be considerably more durability than this ! Otherwise, all of us purchasing the 992, whatever the seat designation will see early wear on the bolsters.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:35 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malibu515
That is unacceptable ! Have you contacted your dealer about this ? There should be considerably more durability than this ! Otherwise, all of us purchasing the 992, whatever the seat designation will see early wear on the bolsters.
Not yet, I only noticed it this week. I’ll call them.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:37 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I googled the phrase <Finished Leather Wrinkles> and came up with all sorts of hits. Most of the hits had to do with: Leather Jackets, Purses, Shoes, etc. But the principles seems to be the same depending on the item. Ex: Heat, Steam and some recommend using Rubbing Alcohol followed by re-moisturizing the leather. Perhaps a Detail Shop would have a good solution? My first thought was to use Mink Oil because that's what I use on my leather jackets. But that might be counterproductive on what essentially amounts to high end furniture.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:26 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I googled the phrase <Finished Leather Wrinkles> and came up with all sorts of hits. Most of the hits had to do with: Leather Jackets, Purses, Shoes, etc. But the principles seems to be the same depending on the item. Ex: Heat, Steam and some recommend using Rubbing Alcohol followed by re-moisturizing the leather. Perhaps a Detail Shop would have a good solution? My first thought was to use Mink Oil because that's what I use on my leather jackets. But that might be counterproductive on what essentially amounts to high end furniture.
Thanks, appreciate you taking the time to do that. I think first port of call is my dealer and I do have some very good contacts here in the auto trimming world.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:31 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Thanks, appreciate you taking the time to do that. I think first port of call is my dealer and I do have some very good contacts here in the auto trimming world.
Metalblond suggested Apple leather care, cleaner and treatment, bought it off Amazon, and have used it on my 911 interior, a wallet I love but needed attention, and a pair of shoes. It’s amazing stuff.
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (11-15-2020)
Old 05-20-2021, 06:12 AM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

Anybody with the base 4-way sports seats? 14/18-way no good for me and I'm trying to spec my car below a certain budget, and I will be putting my 2 yr old in back, so thought it'd be easier to slide the seats forward with the manual adjustment.

No cars at my dealership to sit to try - I can't decide if I want the 4-way sport seats or the 4-way sport seats plus. They sport seats plus look nicer, but I know wife already complains about the bolsters on my RS3. Looking for comfort here, and my SA suggested to stick with the regular 4-way sport seats. My lock date is still a little bit away so I have some time.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:59 AM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by westcoastj
Anybody with the base 4-way sports seats? 14/18-way no good for me and I'm trying to spec my car below a certain budget, and I will be putting my 2 yr old in back, so thought it'd be easier to slide the seats forward with the manual adjustment.

No cars at my dealership to sit to try - I can't decide if I want the 4-way sport seats or the 4-way sport seats plus. They sport seats plus look nicer, but I know wife already complains about the bolsters on my RS3. Looking for comfort here, and my SA suggested to stick with the regular 4-way sport seats. My lock date is still a little bit away so I have some time.
I think you’ll be very satisfied w the 4 way sports plus seats w the more aggressive bolsters, I went from 18 ways on my 991.2 to these on my 992, and they’re very comfortable, supportive, and wide/roomy enough between the bolsters for my 6’4, 230 lb frame that I never feel pinched. In addition to helping you get to your price target, they’ll save you some lbs on the scale too. Btw I wasn’t able to try them before ordering either, but was very happy when I finally sat in them.
westcoastj (05-21-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 09:24 AM
WJ100
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I have this right but just want to confirm:
  1. If you get either of the 4-way options you do not get the passenger mirror tilt down on reverse feature?
  2. Also with the 4-ways the steering column is not electrically adjustable but instead is manually adjustable?
Thanks!
Old 05-20-2021, 09:28 AM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by WJ100
I think I have this right but just want to confirm:
  1. If you get either of the 4-way options you do not get the passenger mirror tilt down on reverse feature?
  2. Also with the 4-ways the steering column is not electrically adjustable but instead is manually adjustable?
Thanks!
Correct on both counts, I’m the only driver of mine and so don’t care about 2, but 1 was a nice feature, I’ve talked myself into saying I still have the same feature, but I have to move my left index finger a bit before and after to make it happen.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:46 AM
timjab
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

My carerra with 4 ways will be here in a week or so. If youre in georgia you are welcome to try the seats
westcoastj (05-21-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 08:56 PM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Hp12c
I think you’ll be very satisfied w the 4 way sports plus seats w the more aggressive bolsters, I went from 18 ways on my 991.2 to these on my 992, and they’re very comfortable, supportive, and wide/roomy enough between the bolsters for my 6’4, 230 lb frame that I never feel pinched. In addition to helping you get to your price target, they’ll save you some lbs on the scale too. Btw I wasn’t able to try them before ordering either, but was very happy when I finally sat in them.
Thanks for your feedback, I ended up ordering the 4-way sports plus seats!
Tedster (05-27-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 09:12 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 810 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechanic
I'm going to wade in here since I've faced this issue twice.

In my humble opinion, it is absolutely essential, particular when purchasing/leasing a $120k+ automobile, that you see, feel, and sit upon the seat(s) you are considering. Everyone's leg-length, bum and sitting height are unique. Many who choose the 14-way seat will tell you that it feels vastly different from the 18-way. Totally subjective opinions. All of which are meaningless to you. Ideally, you may have the opportunity to drive several cars with the seat(s) you are considering. But, in lieu of that, I oh-so-humbly recommend you find a store that can demonstrate each seat you are considering, or that you pony up the bucks needed to visit one of the two "Experience Centers" where you will have that opportunity. Yes, it certainly would be great if the 4-way seat fits you perfectly and you can save several thousand dollars. However, if it turns out that that seat is uncomfortable 10 miles out, you're SOL. Also, I wouldn't overlook the fact that the next buyer of your car, reading the options list online, will be skeptical regarding the merits of your "econo"-seat when s/he is considering an $80k-$90k 992 and realizes most have much more expensive seats to choose from.
Having owned each version of the seat options, not just testing them out, I will always spring for the 18 ways. If you’re buying off the lot, you could live with the 14 ways. Honestly you can live with them all, but at the price point, people want adjustable seats with memory.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:13 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 810 Likes on 463 Posts

Drivers (LH) side

Passengers (RH) side
I make sure to move the seat back past the door entry. So when I enter, I am not scraping the bolster and just slide back into the seat.
westcoastj (05-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Seat comparison