Sponsored by:

Info about new factory Paint Protection Film

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 05:53 PM
brucewinter
Racer

Received 344 Likes on 157 Posts

"Very Interesting!" ........ Arte Johnson

Assuming you ordered the factory ppf, and not a port application, you are the only purchaser who has responded, and even more, a negative experience.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:13 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 406 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by brucewinter
Is it a better warranty issue to be done by Porsche at the factory? Better Job?

Has no one ordered the PPF pre installed before delivery?

I know this is a new option.
Wasn't this available last year as well? Seems like there have been previous posts about low quality.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:18 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

The problem most people have is that it's NOT easy by any guys in the world in a shop somewhere. That's why you see on here people who have had mediocre to poor work done by many installers.
I drink the Porsche Kool Aid daily but after having PPF done on 4 cars if a shop is not doing this work daily at a very high level why would I want to give them my money. I also want to make sure the paint, even paint on a new car is prepped properly before PPF is added. And lastly even as a Porsche Kool Aid drinking member I have never purchased anything from Porsche as an option where the cost made sense.
For a Euro delivery car you are going to drive for a few weeks before shipping and for extra protection during shipping maybe, and then redo it here.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:08 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Is anyone sure the PPF is applied at the factory? I thought it was to be done by a contractor at the port.

Porsche corporate cars have had it done that way in the mid-Atlantic area for a while. A Macan corporate car I purchased had it done very well. But it was not the premium, lights out parts totally wrapped job I would want on a 992..
Old 07-30-2020, 08:11 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Is anyone sure the PPF is applied at the factory? I thought it was to be done by a contractor at the port.

Porsche corporate cars have had it done that way in the mid-Atlantic area for a while. A Macan corporate car I purchased had it done very well. But it was not the premium, lights out parts totally wrapped job I would want on a 992..
I'm not sure about everywhere else, but I know that my dealership contracts the PPF work out to the same shop I use. I also know I can get it done cheaper going straight to the detail shop myself.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:25 PM
brucewinter
Racer

Received 344 Likes on 157 Posts

Yes, I have done some research. If you elect Atlanta Porsche delivery, for example, they will give you an option to have the PPF installed at the Jacksonville Port , and expect a two week delay.

I assume if ordered on your build, it will be done at the factory in Stuttgart.

accurate information is limited and hard to research

I received this from another member:

I am also taking delivery at the PEC in ATL

I received an email from then PEC that they also offer XPEL

Xpel Ultimate Plus Paint Protection Film:

As a PEC ATL Delivery customer you have the option to have Xpel Ultimate Plus Paint Protection Film installed on your vehicle prior to your Delivery. Adding the film installation option to your vehicle will add an additional 2 week wait period to your estimated PEC Delivery. For more information see the Xpel forms attached. To add the Film option forms must be submitted to the PEC inbox prior to the vehicle being placed on vessel to the US.

Last edited by brucewinter; 07-30-2020 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:28 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

If it's hard to even tell where the work is being I say don't do it. It's a difficult thing to do well in the best of conditions and I think it is best to know who your installer is so you can communicate your expectations.

Quick Reply: Info about new factory Paint Protection Film