Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD BOYS 3 - Yeap, a 992!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 01:13 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,286 Posts

It appears Porsche handled the transporting and setup of the car to CA. So this time around I am assuming Porsche was involved instead of using Bay's personal turbo. If I understood Mike they used the C4 since there is no current turbo model in the lineup. The 992 is an impressive car the C4 reminds me a lot of the 991 turbo with less power but more than adequate. Although Mike apparently got some insight into the upcoming 992 turbo.

It does show how much has changed in 25 years.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:43 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

In the 90s, Porsche didn't care about product placements like they do today.
In fact, for decades, Porsche refused to license their cars for video games until they realized that people who play games buy cars or eventually buy cars.

I saw the film. A 992 C4S was a great choice, because it is a car that Porsche actually can sell to you, today. From a story perspective, a hypercar wouldn't have made any sense for a police officer to own and drive -- barring some kind of asset forfeiture situation. Given that "Mike" is single, no kids, and been working as police officer over 20 years, it's entirely possible for him, a middle aged man, to save up the cash to buy a 992.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:42 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
In fact, for decades, Porsche refused to license their cars for video games until they realized that people who play games buy cars or eventually buy cars.

I saw the film. A 992 C4S was a great choice, because it is a car that Porsche actually can sell to you, today. From a story perspective, a hypercar wouldn't have made any sense for a police officer to own and drive -- barring some kind of asset forfeiture situation. Given that "Mike" is single, no kids, and been working as police officer over 20 years, it's entirely possible for him, a middle aged man, to save up the cash to buy a 992.

Very true although If he kept the 3.6T he could have traded it for one today and have money left over. LOL
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 01:25 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn

The affordability question was addressed in the first Bad Boys film. Mike is a trust fund rich kid who chooses to be a cop for non-financial reasons. He has a multi million $$ apartment, expensive wardrobe and high $$$ toys (964 turbo 3.6 in first film, Ferrari 550 (IIRC) in second film and now the 992 C4S). If anything, it seems he is migrating downward in price over the years. Maybe his investment portfolio went a little aggressive on some speculative bitcoin investments and he has to be a bit more careful with his spending...
kamlung (02-06-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 03:51 PM
Sebvelez
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 61 Posts

I watched the movie, and actually thought it was great. The car downgrade was something I wondered about when the first trailer came out but watching the movie I have to say the car works quite well here. It's a less flashy movie than the previous two, more serious and it shows some more character development. The 992 kinda fits the bill here; some flair in gentian blue but nothing way over the top. Go check it out!

Old 01-21-2020, 07:12 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

Chuckled over that one Rudy. well played on his investments heading south. that's funny. but in the final scenes of BadBoys3 we do see the penthouse w/ pool, etc. So I guess he held onto real estate & kept some of that extra $$ left over from selling the 964 Turbo. wise move.

& yea, wife & I finally went to the theater yesterday & watched the film too. Having spent a lot of time with the original movie-car itself,... and having a total infatuation with 964 Turbo's as the ultimate weapon of it's time,... and now owning a GT3 ourselves, we also kinda felt like maybe a higher-end 911 would have been "more fun" (especially if they used a bypass GT3 exhaust sound, instead of the lower pitched, low-rpm shift sounds they wove into the film).... but as Cobalt & detansinn said, anything higher than the existing C2S/C4S doesn't exist in the current For-Sale line-up. And we all know how good Porsche is now at selling what they give us, and manipulating the markets with their cars.

The film itself overall was enjoyable. We just tried to relax & let it entertain us.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:45 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Chuckled over that one Rudy. well played on his investments heading south. that's funny. but in the final scenes of BadBoys3 we do see the penthouse w/ pool, etc. So I guess he held onto real estate & kept some of that extra $$ left over from selling the 964 Turbo. wise move.

& yea, wife & I finally went to the theater yesterday & watched the film too. Having spent a lot of time with the original movie-car itself,... and having a total infatuation with 964 Turbo's as the ultimate weapon of it's time,... and now owning a GT3 ourselves, we also kinda felt like maybe a higher-end 911 would have been "more fun" (especially if they used a bypass GT3 exhaust sound, instead of the lower pitched, low-rpm shift sounds they wove into the film).... but as Cobalt & detansinn said, anything higher than the existing C2S/C4S doesn't exist in the current For-Sale line-up. And we all know how good Porsche is now at selling what they give us, and manipulating the markets with their cars.

The film itself overall was enjoyable. We just tried to relax & let it entertain us.

The film was quite enjoyable. That choice of car was in line with the aged and more serious tone of the film and characters. I am sure the Movie producers could have used any car they wanted (likely money is no object), so this was a good choice.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:46 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
If I understood Mike they used the C4 since there is no current turbo model in the lineup...

Anthony, there is a turbo in the line up....the Taycan
Old 01-21-2020, 02:33 PM
davidgriffith
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Be careful what you wish for:
Will Smith doing promo work for Porsche / Lyft in a Blue Taycan Turbo S
AlexCeres (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 02:57 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

Thanks for posting that David. I had not seen it
Old 01-21-2020, 05:14 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by GentlemanRacer
Ironically, one of the very few non-turbocharged cars in the Porsche lineup.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:41 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GentlemanRacer

Originally Posted by RudyP
Ironically, one of the very few non-turbocharged cars in the Porsche lineup.
At least the 2020 718GTS's are going back to a 4.0 N/A with 6 speed. I don't mind the T6's but the T4's didn't do it for me. Might consider trading my 981 BGTS in for one.

I wonder what a 992 would be like with a cobb tune?

Quick Reply: BAD BOYS 3 - Yeap, a 992!