Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Standard PDLS+ vs LED Matrix Design

Old 04-06-2019, 01:06 PM
PopPorscheCherry
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 992 Standard PDLS+ vs LED Matrix Design

Curious to see opinions on this topic. Is the Matrix worth the $2K? Apparently, the Matrix will be rendered useless in the US due to regulations. The standard looks good, but I do prefer the Matrix design.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:19 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Is there anyway to "hack" the Matrix lights and make it operable in US. I am quite positive that there has to be a way? like buy with EU delivery and then bring the car back (just pondering this work around)
Old 04-06-2019, 04:04 PM
B3rk
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Had 2 cars with matrix headlights, nice feature but would never spec it again unless I really like the headlight unit alot more.
In the case of the 992, I think the standard LED unit looks better, there is less chroom in it so looks darker which looks better on the car I specced
The following 2 users liked this post by B3rk:
992carreraS (09-27-2019), Vista6019 (05-07-2022)
Old 04-06-2019, 07:32 PM
suffeks
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by B3rk
Had 2 cars with matrix headlights, nice feature but would never spec it again unless I really like the headlight unit alot more.
In the case of the 992, I think the standard LED unit looks better, there is less chroom in it so looks darker which looks better on the car I specced
if you wouldn't spec it then u never had real matrix lights

matrix design to me sounds the same as carbon look in other words fake

if they are real then vcds can turn it on
Old 04-06-2019, 08:41 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 622 Posts

Is there any difference in illumination (lumens) between the PDLS+ ($1270) and the Matrix ($3270) or is it just aesthetic? Both include Dynamic Cornering, Speed-Dependent Range, Sport-Mode Activation, and High Beam Assist.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:18 AM
B3rk
Instructor

Originally Posted by suffeks
if you wouldn't spec it then u never had real matrix lights

matrix design to me sounds the same as carbon look in other words fake

if they are real then vcds can turn it on

what is this about? I had it on a M4 and my Panamera ST. And it is real matrix since we do not have any regulations for it in Europe. I was talking about the headlight housing design, with the Panamera I love how the optional black matrix headlight units look. It seems other people do aswell because this is how I found my car a few weeks ago in the morning.

Now with the 992, I personally like the Standard LED more since they have more black in the housing and less chroom. Just my personal view and taste.

About the matrix, it’s fun to use it a few times and show your friends but in the end it is just a gimmick to me. You can’t use it everywhere and always, does not work in cities or other areas where there is alot of streetlighting.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:35 AM
B3rk
Instructor

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Is there any difference in illumination (lumens) between the PDLS+ ($1270) and the Matrix ($3270) or is it just aesthetic? Both include Dynamic Cornering, Speed-Dependent Range, Sport-Mode Activation, and High Beam Assist.
High beam assist is very different from matrix. Matrix has many LED segments that are all on high-beam but can individually dim zones to low beam if there is a car coming or behind a car.

High-beam assist just turns the entire lights to low-beam if detecting a vehicle.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:15 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 622 Posts

High beam assist is very different from matrix. Matrix has many LED segments that are all on high-beam but can individually dim zones to low beam if there is a car coming or behind a car.

High-beam assist just turns the entire lights to low-beam if detecting a vehicle.
Thanks. Maybe that's what is inactive on US cars. The description for the two systems is identical on the Porsche USA page. But I'm still wondering if full high-beam power is the same for the PDLS+ and Matrix.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:52 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

what is this about? I had it on a M4 and my Panamera ST. And it is real matrix since we do not have any regulations for it in Europe. I was talking about the headlight housing design, with the Panamera I love how the optional black matrix headlight units look. It seems other people do aswell because this is how I found my car a few weeks ago in the morning.

Now with the 992, I personally like the Standard LED more since they have more black in the housing and less chroom. Just my personal view and taste.

About the matrix, it’s fun to use it a few times and show your friends but in the end it is just a gimmick to me. You can’t use it everywhere and always, does not work in cities or other areas where there is alot of streetlighting.
Wow! Someone actually stole your entire front end? Amazing.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:30 AM
darkknight26
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
And who actually buys Porsche parts on ebay? There must be a market for this sort of thing...
Old 04-08-2019, 09:39 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Matrix wont work in US...it tell you that in configurator...

Note: Full LED-Matrix functionality (individual operation of 84 LEDs) is limited for the US market. Individual LEDs are programmed to operate as a single light source to perform the functions listed above.

Basically its 'matrix design' but will act like normal headlights.

3k for slightly different looking headlights is hefty... i'd probably stick to normal which look very similar honestly.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:55 AM
B3rk
Instructor

Originally Posted by tgcrun
yes they did!
10 years ago nothing like this would happen in my area, but now since we let all the eastern europeans and northern africans in things like this are pretty common.
Someone I know had it happen twice in a year, last time was a week ago and they even sabotaged streetlightning so they could work in the dark.

police tells me they do in on order. Also Porsche dealer told me the LED headlights are also being stolen for ilegal marihuana gangs. Those lights use very little energy and plants grow really well.

crazy I know!
Old 04-08-2019, 09:43 PM
Squires9914s
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Black Headlight is coming soon ..

Old 04-09-2019, 06:26 AM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Squires9914s
Black Headlight is coming soon ..
I've been waiting for this! Source please. Any ETA?
Old 04-10-2019, 02:13 AM
G650
Racer

Received 241 Likes on 100 Posts

So is it worth spending the extra $1270 to get the PDLS + vs just the regular LED lights?

As best I can tell, PDLS+ will give me dynamic cornering lights, speed dependent headlight range control, sport mode & high beam assistant.
But it’s hard to tell how much of this functionality comes with the regular lights.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 992 Standard PDLS+ vs LED Matrix Design