992 Standard PDLS+ vs LED Matrix Design

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 03:00 PM
ant922599
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandakter
Hi everyone,

My SA is at his 992 training and he just confirmed that the Canadian 992's with PDLS+ will have full Matrix functionality enabled, and not just auto high-beam. I was on the fence on paying so much for them in the hopes of having Porsche enable it at a later date, but now it looks like I have a decision to make!

For our European friends with them, are they worth the price of admission?
I'm in the UK but haven't taken delivery yet, so I'm just reporting what people are saying who do have them....

It is the dynamic ability to keep full beam on (think country road at night, unlit) and it automatically dim only the line of the oncoming vehicle, which is what all the fuss is about.

Sure, 'just' auto high beam in PDLS+ is handy, but in the scenario above, it would simply turn both headlights to back to dipped beam. This means my side (verges, pot holes, animals peeking out(!)) would not be as brightly lit as with matrix.

If that functionality is still not approved for use in the US, I wouldn't bother with paying up for Matrix there and would instead do PDLS + and put the $$ towards something else...
Old 10-12-2019, 07:38 PM
Vandakter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ant922599
I'm in the UK but haven't taken delivery yet, so I'm just reporting what people are saying who do have them....

It is the dynamic ability to keep full beam on (think country road at night, unlit) and it automatically dim only the line of the oncoming vehicle, which is what all the fuss is about.

Sure, 'just' auto high beam in PDLS+ is handy, but in the scenario above, it would simply turn both headlights to back to dipped beam. This means my side (verges, pot holes, animals peeking out(!)) would not be as brightly lit as with matrix.

If that functionality is still not approved for use in the US, I wouldn't bother with paying up for Matrix there and would instead do PDLS + and put the $$ towards something else...
I ended up opting for the Matrix lights, and they are fantastic. It’s quite subtle as you’re driving, but on a dark road with the occasional oncoming cars, the overall lighting remains very bright.

My girlfriend got the Macan S with PDLS and auto high beam, and while they work well, the Matrix are noticeably better.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:43 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I would still like to know if Matrix LEDs perform the same as PLDS Plus lamps in the U.S.? I read that the PLDS Plus perform better. True?
Old 03-07-2020, 04:11 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I would still like to know if Matrix LEDs perform the same as PLDS Plus lamps in the U.S.? I read that the PLDS Plus perform better. True?
The Matrix are definitely better if that is what you got. Otherwise PLDS+.

:-)

Sorry for being a smart ***, it just seems like these kinds of options are very subjective and tend towards what individuals bought (or chose not to buy).

Last edited by markchristenson; 03-07-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:37 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
The Matrix are definitely better if that is what you got. Otherwise PLDS+.

:-)

Sorry for being a smart ***, it just seems like these kinds of options are very subjective and tend towards what individuals bought (or chose not to buy).
Night lighting is important for me, so I’ll always opt for the best vision. Even if they performed the same, I decided that I like the look better - better face on the car. I just asked my SA to change my order to Matrix.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:47 PM
rwsteelers
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Have been watching this saga for three years, S6 had them when ordered...that is soon a goner. New 2020 M550 has “5AP Decoding for no-dazzle high beam assist” as part of the build sheet. With luck maybe this car and ‘19 GTS will finally operate to full potential...when or if the NHTSB can get it together...
Old 03-07-2020, 05:58 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Night lighting is important for me, so I’ll always opt for the best vision. Even if they performed the same, I decided that I like the look better - better face on the car. I just asked my SA to change my order to Matrix.
FWIW I am getting the Matrix lights, too :-)
Old 03-10-2020, 06:26 AM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

I didn’t spec them because I’m cheap and loved the 991.2 LEDs (which seem similar to PDLS+ on 992), but I wonder since it’s just software that limits the functionality in US, perhaps can be hacked, like our friend w the PSE actuators?

Old 03-10-2020, 11:00 AM
HKS350
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the LED Matrix lights and I will say they work differently than the PDLS+

I test drove the PDLS+ lights before buying the 992 and the LED Matrix are always adjusting for cars infront of the vehicle along with oncoming traffic in the opposing lane.

My wife in the passenger seat has even commented on how they are always moving and changing the pattern of the beam.

These are always low beam actions. Hi Beams are On/Off. I would assume that the Hi Beams would perform the same action's outside of the US.

I believe the low beams benefit from LED Matrix option but Hi Beams are limited.

Example: The low beams notice a street sign is brighter than the surrounding lights / background and it will cut off a few LEDs that are pointing at the sign. It will continue to change the pattern as you pass the sign. It does the same when approaching cars from the rear. It will limit the low beam action in the center but will brighten the beam on both sides of the car in front of us.
The following users liked this post:
oshuwah (12-14-2021)
Old 03-10-2020, 12:23 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

That's interesting if they really have some active matrix functionality on low beam beyond PDLS+, you would think this option would be detailed more clearly for US customers. My dealer gave me no reason to want to spend $3200 for this upgrade beyond not having my new 992 look like a base Macan from the front!
Old 12-14-2021, 03:39 PM
macgom
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread is a bit old but I wanted to see if I'm the only one who feels lack of lights/visibility on 992 C4S with LED Matrix lights option.
I also do not see the lights moving at all. Unlike my other car Macan, there is not even cornering light.
Is this how it is on 992 with LED Matrix lights for all of you? or could there be something wrong with my 992?
Old 05-06-2022, 11:40 AM
Mcrov718
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 17 Posts

Have the same question, had 2020 992 and the lights angled with turning etc. I got 992 GTS with the Matrix LED and they seem brighter and overall better but do not angle when turning (which I really liked).
Old 06-16-2022, 03:06 PM
rwsteelers
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Service Update

Had my 911 in for regular service today and inquired about status of matrix. Per service advisor who did some research, Porsche hasn't received certification yet. Once they do should be releasing a software update.

Tx again to US Gov't for issuing bespoke standards as opposed to those already in play in Europe and Canada - bureaucratic self justification

Quick Reply: 992 Standard PDLS+ vs LED Matrix Design