Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C/D testing director calls the 992 like he sees it

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019 | 04:54 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by dchang81
Were the interiors of the 964, 993, 996 etc with carpeting everywhere considered nice?
Only those with **** pile
Old 03-25-2019 | 11:11 AM
limegreen
Pro

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
Porsche seems to have learned the lesson of the airline business - the advertised price is for only the seat on the plane. Everything else - checked luggage, carry-on luggage, blanket, meal/snack, etc. are optional.
I wish they would take that add on strategy even further and make turbochargers, digital instrument clusters, haptic touch panels, piano black consoles, wet mode , collision braking , nav screens , Auto start/stop, electric parking brake, etc. etc. all optional equipment.

At least then we'd finally have the ability to build a real Porsche sports car again instead of some over digitized, rolling compromise that delivers nothing but the weak promise of a better experience.

Last edited by limegreen; 03-25-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-25-2019 | 11:13 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It's just one man's opinion. Don't buy adaptive cruise if it offends you. IMO, Porsche's Power Steering Plus on the 991 turns the car into a Cadillac, but I haven't heard anybody criticize the 991 for being "The End of Porsche". The few days it rains here every year I won't be driving my Porsches, so the 'rain sensor' is irrelevant to me. Everybody seems to love the 991 gauge cluster, but how many people use the speedometer? I mean the dial the size of a Post-It that covers 225mph with 25mph increments, not the digital readout...answer is nobody...so it's a waste of valuable space in front of the driver. The 992's is configurable, useful, and gorgeous. Criticism of the 991 hood creases? People are paying a literal fortune for throwback paint and upholstery schemes from the same era on their new GT3s. And the 991 interior was form following function? Please...why the transmission tunnel on a rear engine/transaxle car?

At some point the peanut gallery needs to step aside and see if those actually writing checks will line up for the 992. If they don't, at that point we can debate why.
Well said.
Old 03-25-2019 | 03:12 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by limegreen
I wish they would take that add on strategy even further and make turbochargers, digital instrument clusters, haptic touch panels, piano black consoles, wet mode , collision braking , nav screens , Auto start/stop, electric parking brake, etc. etc. all optional equipment.

At least then we'd finally have the ability to build a real Porsche sports car again instead of some over digitized, rolling compromise that delivers nothing but the weak promise of a better experience.
^ Amen.

What a cool world that would be. My time in the 992 surprised me in that I actually liked the configurability of the gauges—to the point that I might be very happy deleting the central screen entirely.

My dream would be a "mechanical watch" version. No Sport mode needed...just get in, turn the key, and go. Absolute minimalist interior. Any tech hidden as much as possible, so it's there but you don't have to interact with it if you don't want to. Door handles designed in a way to get rid of lock buttons, etc. The S2000 did this well, even covering the radio if you didn't want to use it. The 500 Abarth did it well, too.

In my view, Porsche would be ill-advised to build such cars as its main offerings—or even its regular 911s—just as it would be ill-advised to listen only to what enthusiasts and the media say it needs to build (see: third-gen RX-7, a lesson correctly offset by the GT4). But I'd sure like to see at least one or two mechanical watches in the portfolio. There is something so refreshing about a driver's car in which all you're left to do is drive. A modern longhood 911 or 914 would be an elixir on wheels, and a bit of blue sky in an overly complicated world.
Old 03-25-2019 | 06:19 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Pete, I'd bet Porsche could readily offer the "mechanical watch" vision you suggest. It would have less in it so should cost less to build. But if recent experience is any indication they would charge a premium for it - and get it.

I think the last time they really did this it was the G bodied Club Sport in the 80s. They had a tough time selling them at the time. But my they were sweet at the track.
Old 03-25-2019 | 06:47 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Got my new Excellence today. They have nothing but positive things to say about the 992, and emphasize significant performance gains.
Wait...you're telling me that 'Excellence - The Magazine About Porsche' said good things about a new Porsche?! Hmmff. Sorry, but I'll wait until I hear what Christophorus has to say about it...
Old 03-25-2019 | 06:53 PM
timjab
Advanced

Originally Posted by stout
^ Amen.

What a cool world that would be. My time in the 992 surprised me in that I actually liked the configurability of the gauges—to the point that I might be very happy deleting the central screen entirely.

My dream would be a "mechanical watch" version. No Sport mode needed...just get in, turn the key, and go. Absolute minimalist interior. Any tech hidden as much as possible, so it's there but you don't have to interact with it if you don't want to. Door handles designed in a way to get rid of lock buttons, etc. The S2000 did this well, even covering the radio if you didn't want to use it. The 500 Abarth did it well, too.

In my view, Porsche would be ill-advised to build such cars as its main offerings—or even its regular 911s—just as it would be ill-advised to listen only to what enthusiasts and the media say it needs to build (see: third-gen RX-7, a lesson correctly offset by the GT4). But I'd sure like to see at least one or two mechanical watches in the portfolio. There is something so refreshing about a driver's car in which all you're left to do is drive. A modern longhood 911 or 914 would be an elixir on wheels, and a bit of blue sky in an overly complicated world.
oh heck yes! That’s why I’m looking for my first 911 now. Every other upscale sporting vehicle I look at has an overwhelming plethora of electronics. I never learned how to use half the buttons on my CTS-V and that’s why I got rid of it after 2 years. Too much BS to deal with when all I want to do is enjoy a drive.
Old 03-25-2019 | 07:22 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by timjab
oh heck yes! That’s why I’m looking for my first 911 now. Every other upscale sporting vehicle I look at has an overwhelming plethora of electronics. I never learned how to use half the buttons on my CTS-V and that’s why I got rid of it after 2 years. Too much BS to deal with when all I want to do is enjoy a drive.
Took my daughter to the hardware store in my 914 yesterday.
"Can we put the roof on?" she asked.
Nope.
"Can we take the green car (991)?" she asked next.
Nope. I'm going to the hardware store in the red car, and you can come along or stay here.
[Sound of feet as 6yo goes and gets her headphones for her first ride in a full-sized with the roof off.]
One block later, with giant grin: "This. Is. AWESOME!"
A few minutes later: "This is soooo much fun. Dad, your green car is kind of boring."

[Dad, meanwhile, is remembering just how nice it is to drive a simple car, and makes a note to use the 914 as the weekend toy it's supposed to be more often...a lot more often.]
Old 03-25-2019 | 08:46 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Wait...you're telling me that 'Excellence - The Magazine About Porsche' said good things about a new Porsche?! Hmmff. Sorry, but I'll wait until I hear what Christophorus has to say about it...
If I remember it correctly Excellence was pretty critical of the steering the 991.1 and the exhaust note of the 991.2. It is not a Porsche captive by any means.
Old 03-26-2019 | 03:31 AM
K-A
Drifting

If I remember it correctly Excellence was pretty critical of the steering the 991.1 and the exhaust note of the 991.2. It is not a Porsche captive by any means.
Both valid criticisms.

I honestly don't think the "Cayenne Coupe" means anything in the grand scheme. It's simply a Cayenne spinoff and was bound to happen. I do agree that it does clutter the SUV line in a way that isn't typical to Porsche at all. They have a great knack to ensure every model has a fundamental priority and reason to exist alongside another. Something no other car manufacturer who sells as much or more can accomplish. The Cayenne Coupe definitely clutters the space, but at the same time, in this new era of the car business, makes sense as well.
Old 03-27-2019 | 01:41 AM
Benedict14
Rennlist Member

Nope.
Nope. I'm going to the hardware store in the red car, and you can come along or stay here.
[Sound of feet as 6yo goes and gets her headphones for her first ride in a full-sized with the roof off.]
A few minutes later: "This is soooo much fun. Dad, your green car is kind of boring."

[Dad, meanwhile, is remembering just how nice it is to drive a simple car, and makes a note to use the 914 as the weekend toy it's supposed to be more often...a lot more often.]
That made me smile. Apple -> tree Goodness.
Old 03-27-2019 | 11:37 AM
limegreen
Pro

Nope.

I love that story, the unfiltered observation and honesty of a 6 year old is exactly what Porsche needs these days!
Old 03-27-2019 | 01:20 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
That sort of limits your options for new cars doesn’t it? If not eliminate it entirely?
That ship sailed over a decade ago for me. Don't get me wrong, new cars are always cool and fun to follow but I find most boring.
I'd take a BR-Z over a new 911.

Pete, I'd bet Porsche could readily offer the "mechanical watch" vision you suggest. It would have less in it so should cost less to build. But if recent experience is any indication they would charge a premium for it - and get it.
I've had this discussion countless times over the years. No doubt they could, hell Subaru did so of course Porsche could. The question is why would they and as you pointed out it would probably cost a premium, and it would have to.

The problem with building a "mechanical watch" Porsche and pricing it accordingly would mean a ton of people would buy one simply because of the price point. So now you've got some working stiff shopping for a new Porsche only to discover it has less creature comforts than a Civic. How well is that going to go over?
The "image" of Porsche as a premier brand would suffer greatly, they won't take that chance. So the only way to avoid such a situation is price the "mechanical watch" version higher than the rest to keep it in the hands of the enthusiast.

Which is where the GT3 came from originally. The whole point of that car was to be the bare bones "sports car" version of the 911 line. I always argued the GT3 was proof positive the 911 was no longer a sports car, otherwise the GT3 version wouldn't need to exist.

Yes, it would be fricken awesome to see Porsche come out with a $40,000 modern 914 that weighs 2,400lbs with a N/A 250hp engine. It's never going to happen, it would literally destroy their image in the overall market.

Just look at the typical review of the BR-Z or Miata. Under-powered, slow.....these are not cars for everyone, they are pure sports cars for the sheer love of driving. Not winning a bar stool race because your car is .1 seconds quicker to 60.
Old 03-27-2019 | 02:02 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Nope.

Awesome!!!!
I love to hear stories like this.

My '73 914 was/is the only car of many that I truly loved.
I owned that car for 27 years and to this day still regret selling it.
Old 03-27-2019 | 03:22 PM
limegreen
Pro

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
That ship sailed over a decade ago for me. Don't get me wrong, new cars are always cool and fun to follow but I find most boring.
I'd take a BR-Z over a new 911.

I've had this discussion countless times over the years. No doubt they could, hell Subaru did so of course Porsche could. The question is why would they and as you pointed out it would probably cost a premium, and it would have to.

The problem with building a "mechanical watch" Porsche and pricing it accordingly would mean a ton of people would buy one simply because of the price point. So now you've got some working stiff shopping for a new Porsche only to discover it has less creature comforts than a Civic. How well is that going to go over?
The "image" of Porsche as a premier brand would suffer greatly, they won't take that chance. So the only way to avoid such a situation is price the "mechanical watch" version higher than the rest to keep it in the hands of the enthusiast.

Which is where the GT3 came from originally. The whole point of that car was to be the bare bones "sports car" version of the 911 line. I always argued the GT3 was proof positive the 911 was no longer a sports car, otherwise the GT3 version wouldn't need to exist.

Yes, it would be fricken awesome to see Porsche come out with a $40,000 modern 914 that weighs 2,400lbs with a N/A 250hp engine. It's never going to happen, it would literally destroy their image in the overall market.

Just look at the typical review of the BR-Z or Miata. Under-powered, slow.....these are not cars for everyone, they are pure sports cars for the sheer love of driving. Not winning a bar stool race because your car is .1 seconds quicker to 60.

I agree 100% but I also think Porsche would be fine with "low cost" mechanical watch enthusiast version priced similarly to the base 911. The problem with the enthusiast catering GT lineup is the price being out of reach for most of us that are already stretching ourselves to get that 80-100k car that many of us are fortunate enough to have despite it not being exactly what we wanted.

Quick Reply: C/D testing director calls the 992 like he sees it