Longevity of automatic door handles in the 992

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 05:52 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
they look flimsy. you can break it if you pull really hard
Spoken like a true man who hasn't experienced the car in person and is only judging it based on pics he's looking at on his Commodore 64 computer.. 😏 lol
Old 02-16-2019, 05:58 PM
Crester
Pro

Originally Posted by captainkirk
Still trying to figure out if the doors can be opened in an emergency easily when there is no power etc. I went through some major stuff many years back, opening the door in an emergency was key (long story, will share it someday).

Boggles my mind why Porsche over engineered a door handle; it is absurd - there really is no benefit to this.
I think they have to have a back up system. I know some cars have a separate mechanical lever and others have a system where if you continue pulling the electronic handle it becomes a mechanical latch.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:41 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

We need more pics of the door handle, and more reports about it. Harris's video on Top Gear, - showed his disappointment with the door handles. He was being polite and diplomatic but he was 100% annoyed by it.

My concerns are for a very different reason. I will see this car when it arrives in my area, and then I will know 100% what my next move will be.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:59 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

The March edition of Car and Driver arrived today, with a test of the 992 at Hockenheim. They pretty much liked everything about the 992 *except* the door handles.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:25 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
The March edition of Car and Driver arrived today, with a test of the 992 at Hockenheim. They pretty much liked everything about the 992 *except* the door handles.
Just read the article - I assume this is the one

"Pulling the handle actuates an electric switch that operates the door mechanism. It's not foolproof, occasionally leaving you pulling the handle twice because it reacts too slowly. It's an annoying misstep from a company that kept the same door on the 911 from 1965 to 1998 because, as it said at the time, "It's a good door."

"Even a brief taste of the new 911 made us confident that we'll be able to swallow and enjoy what Porsche has sprinkled into a car that we didn't think needed changing. Like your palate, 911s evolve. A dusting of urfa—turns out it's a dried Turkish chili pepper with a slight raisin flavor—makes roasted poblanos a little better. Lacto-fermented hot sauce is tangy and delicious. Whey fermenting doesn't add much to your lentil-eating experience because, like those door handles, not everything new is better."

Lol - omg, that is quite scathing review about the door.

Surprisingly they can fix this right now - infact it will probably save them money by doing this.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:20 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

Change for the sake of change is not always a good thing. Ask the (I would assume now former) CEO of Coke about the New Coke debacle. I have been told that that episode is studied in business schools - as a lesson in how NOT do to business. In my opinion, the door handles are not only a case of over-engineering and Porsche out-thinking itself, it is a case of Porsche thinking it knows what is best for the car and what is the best for us, the consumer. It's a case of Porsche thinking it knows it all when in reality, it doesn't. We all makes mistakes. I chalk this one up to an engineering gaffe that somehow made it through R and D all the way to manufacture. I'd be surprised if this one sticks. I see a fried egg scenario here - the classic door handles will likely make a return. If not in the 992.2, then in the 99-whatever.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:55 AM
Crester
Pro

Unless there is some mass malfunctioning of the door handles I really doubt Porsche would go back to manual door handles. The industry in general is proceeding this way.

Plus many of the people who are buying these cars new... and not just commenting on the internet... want to see the latest tech on these cars. So Porsche is doing what they think they need to do to get these additional customers.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:56 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

lol....omg...I totally fell for it.
The thing that impressed me was how legible the fine print actually is. If you zoom in enough, you actually can read a lot of it. But ain't nobody got time for that, especially this guy:

Old 02-17-2019, 02:59 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by Crester
Unless there is some mass malfunctioning of the door handles I really doubt Porsche would go back to manual door handles. The industry in general is proceeding this way.

Plus many of the people who are buying these cars new... and not just commenting on the internet... want to see the latest tech on these cars. So Porsche is doing what they think they need to do to get these additional customers.
...and by this, you mean door handles that are flush with with door panel, a la the Tesla? How derivative. Why would Porsche want to associate itself in any way with Tesla? The 911 door handle remained unchanged for decades because it was a great door handle and it fit the car. To discontinue the door handle - for the sake of progress? for the sake of conformity with the "industry?" for the sake of change just because? - is yet another example of how Porsche lost its way with the 992. The nubbin, the door handles, the increased weight of the car, the bulbous rear, all the plastic bits, the cheaper interior. If that's progress, call me old fashioned, but I'll be quite content with my 991.2 Touring and its archaic door handles and its lack of a bubble butt. To each his/her own, but the 992 door handles are just a #fail in my opinion.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:54 AM
Crester
Pro

Tesla is known for their fancy pop-out door handles but they are not the only ones... Jaguar/Land Rover use pop out door handles on their vehicles
amongst others for example. Then you have other non-conventional door handles such as touch pads located in a gap along in the door like on Corvettes... and you also have those door handles that are even crazier that you have to "stroke" the door like on McLaren's for example. So Porsche isn't doing anything ridiculous.

Porsche wants more sales... and really this is a safe bet for them. Enthusiasts who want great driving sports cars aren't going to give up buying a 911 because of a door handle or a "nubbin"... but adding tech to the cars WILL bring in more buyers from the general public who like the style of the 911 and the image it has.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:38 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Crester
Tesla is known for their fancy pop-out door handles but they are not the only ones...
You mean the ones that freeze in the cold spectacularly?

Old 02-17-2019, 10:48 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Originally Posted by ekam
You mean the ones that freeze in the cold spectacularly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqD8CqAdyo0
Wow - this is unreal. I am surprised lawsuits haven't happened. Never expected to see this.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:58 AM
ST BERNARD
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

We only have 27 Post discussing the Door Handles. There must be another 50 people who want to comment on the handles who have never either seen the door handles or tried them. After reading about all the door issues I am thinking about canceling my 992 order and buying a Ford. They apparently have good door handles.
The following users liked this post:
dhirm5 (03-25-2020)
Old 02-17-2019, 11:05 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by ST BERNARD
We only have 27 Post discussing the Door Handles. There must be another 50 people who want to comment on the handles who have never either seen the door handles or tried them. After reading about all the door issues I am thinking about canceling my 992 order and buying a Ford. They apparently have good door handles.
Now THAT's funny. Great comment.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:17 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Wow - this is unreal. I am surprised lawsuits haven't happened. Never expected to see this.
It's a well known issue, just youtube tesla door handle frozen.

Tesla owners are too busy saving the earth to file a lawsuit.

Quick Reply: Longevity of automatic door handles in the 992