Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED with PDLS or LED Matrix for $2K??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 10:54 AM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts
Default LED with PDLS or LED Matrix for $2K??

What are you getting for $2k? Descriptions are identical. Why is Porsche offering Dynamic LED with PDLS and Dynamic LED “Matrix-Design” with PDLS for $2K more? What’s the benefit? They both offer dynamic cornering, both speed dependent range control, both sport mode range adjust, and both provide active high-beam assist.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:17 AM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by adamlew
- PDLS add a silver trim around the headlight, thats the only visible difference. Functionally these lights are a bit different, lights turn with the wheel etc. if I understand correctly. LED lights (DRLs) look the same though.
- PDLS+ is a completely different headlight and looks different and more high tech. I have this option on my 2019 Cayenne and it is truly amazing when driving at night, very clever system adapting to every situation seamlessly. Would recommend for people who use their cars this way, lots of night driving on highways for example. But an expensive option.
t

LED headlights are standard on 992s.
Unless you need PDLS as described above or PDLS+ which is in a different league
I do not see any reason to go to PDLS from Standard. For me, its Standard or PDLS+ on 992.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:27 AM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

They are both PDLS+. To be clear, I’m referring to the upgraded LED headlights in the Premium package that are a $0 option as opposed to the $2k Matrix-design lights.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:10 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

With Matrix LED individual LED's are controlled to mask certain areas within the beam.
The problem is in N.America this is not fully implemented yet due to DOT regulations.

More info here.... https://www.porsche.com/internationa...lus-pdls-plus/

LED main headlights with matrix beam including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
Even greater foresight is achieved with LED main headlights featuring matrix beam technology. The matrix beam strategically deactivates specific segments of the permanent main-beam cone. Eighty-four individually controlled LEDs adapt to the situation ahead by switching off or dimming accordingly. Vehicles in front or in the oncoming lane are no longer dazzled, while the areas in between and to the side continue to receive full illumination. To optimise target fixation, not only are the lights selectively dimmed to fade out oncoming vehicles, the area to the right of the light void is lit more brightly for better guidance of the driver’s visual attention. What’s more, segment-specific dimming of highly reflective traffic signs also acts to avoid driver dazzle. LED main headlights with matrix beam including PDLS Plus: bright, homogeneous, safe.

PDLS Plus, which includes all the functions of PDLS, now comes for the first time with electronic cornering lights and an intersection assistant function based on navigation data. As you approach a crossroads or T junction, the intersection assistant function activates the left and right cornering lights, and the light cone becomes wider and shorter – for enhanced illumination of your surroundings.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:37 PM
dj997
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I actually really like the base led headlights. I have the black pdls plus on my 991.2 and love the look of the outer posts. Since that isn't available in the 992 I am going to go with the base lights, they remind be of the 918 headlights.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:37 PM
DMDSpag
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dj997
I actually really like the base led headlights. I have the black pdls plus on my 991.2 and love the look of the outer posts. Since that isn't available in the 992 I am going to go with the base lights, they remind be of the 918 headlights.
me too. LED is standard, save the 2-3k
Old 03-07-2019, 12:25 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Anyone know if the DRLs are different between the 3 options? (I bet they are and the more expensive ones are "cooler")

Quick Reply: LED with PDLS or LED Matrix for $2K??