Sponsored by:

Chris Harris Quote on the 992...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 10:25 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
He said very little about it, which should tell you something.
I think it means it is irrelevant given the rest of the car. Seems universal in all for the review of people who have driven it.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:57 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Multiple reviews have said "sounds too quiet outside, sounds great inside".

To me, those two things do not go together. When I blocked the sound symposer pipe on my 991.1, even with PSE open, the sound inside the cabin was very muted. Even on a cabrio.

I am worried interior sound is fake. I have no basis of proof for this and have asked Pete Stout to ask the engineers. But considering how much fakery they put on the 718 Boxster and Cayman, I worry.

We shall see.
Lammmme. If they just made it sound better inside (using who knows what trickery), that doesn't even count as far as I'm concerned. A good exhaust sound is dynamic, as those who drive with windows down will know.... one of the best parts is hearing it ricochet and echo off of different ambiances. All these car reviews are done with the windows up. Very easy to modulate sounds from there. How it sounds outside will be the real tell as to whether Porsche truly "fixed" the inherent harmonics of the 9A2.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:08 AM
elevensheep
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
All these car reviews are done with the windows up. Very easy to modulate sounds from there. How it sounds outside will be the real tell as to whether Porsche truly "fixed" the inherent harmonics of the 9A2.
should watch the reviews first

Old 02-06-2019, 06:16 AM
Porsch
Banned

Received 252 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Multiple reviews have said "sounds too quiet outside, sounds great inside".

To me, those two things do not go together. When I blocked the sound symposer pipe on my 991.1, even with PSE open, the sound inside the cabin was very muted. Even on a cabrio.

I am worried interior sound is fake. I have no basis of proof for this and have asked Pete Stout to ask the engineers. But considering how much fakery they put on the 718 Boxster and Cayman, I worry.

We shall see.
What did Pete find out out about this? I know a lot of M3/M4 guys were not happy with “active sound”, which is the BMW euphemism, I think.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:59 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by elevensheep

Yeah, go ahead and pull up the part where he comments on exhaust sound, and report on what position the windows are in.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:37 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

^^^ Haven't seen a bad review for this release yet and it sounds exactly the same to my ears as the outgoing 991.2 GTS - the only negative commentary is on Rennlist. The unbiased reviewers e.g. Pete Stout have been very positive. Basically the positive outweighs the negative. Besides Porsche have never been close to the best sounding cars.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:13 AM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

door handle and shaver shifter are complete debacles. They should have been let alone.

Instead they changed for the worse.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:32 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Maybe so - but they haven't been. Sometimes you have to look at things in the round - Stouts a very fair reviewer and I think hes pretty close to the mark with his review of the 992 and very candid about how he feels about it. There are very few vehicles that one looks at and think everything is great.

Personally, I like a lot of the thoughtful engineering that has gone into the 992 - by the same token there are design features and some compromises I don't like. Also I do think the pricing is getting out of hand, although this is very market dependent. I certainly won't be paying $USD275 for a Carrera S or $USD300k for a GT3 - for me there are better choices out there at these price points (and I'm happy to pay much more for the right car) or perhaps another way of putting it there are other cars that move me more or intrigue me more at these price points.

For example I can get a hand remodelled air cooled, with engine of choice, finished to my own taste and level of detail for less - and it will be just as detailed and well engineered (perhaps moreso) as a Singer - this is a route I may take. Lots of choices out there these days.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:25 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by elevensheep
Also, cell phones should be designed to deliver a brief but substantial electrical shock when the 'Record' button is pressed while the phone is held vertically.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:41 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Also, cell phones should be designed to deliver a brief but substantial electrical shock when the 'Record' button is pressed while the phone is held vertically.
Effective immediately, preferably retroactively.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:18 AM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Chris does indicate subtly that he does not like the upshift feel/speed and may be Porsche is saving the faster/firmer shifting feel for 992 GT cars .

I for for one will surely say that current 991 pdk stick is so much better in terms of flicking it to manual mode and also using the pdk stick to upshift/downshift in Roundabouts etc. My amg Benz has a M button to put in manual mode and it is not intuitive , as driver has to take their eyes off the road to find the damn button on center console and press the M button again to take it off from Manual mode
Old 02-15-2019, 08:44 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

What happens if you pull and hold both paddles? Doesn't it revert to "D"?
Old 02-15-2019, 11:28 AM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

may be , on the benz if i pull and hold the right paddle for a while , it goes back to D from M but still going into M mode is not as intuitive as a 991 PDk stick
Old 02-15-2019, 11:39 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Sorry, you are correct - right paddle only, for a few seconds. And yes, only for going M->D, not the other way.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:48 AM
darkknight26
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by casaforte9
Chris does indicate subtly that he does not like the upshift feel/speed and may be Porsche is saving the faster/firmer shifting feel for 992 GT cars .

I for for one will surely say that current 991 pdk stick is so much better in terms of flicking it to manual mode and also using the pdk stick to upshift/downshift in Roundabouts etc. My amg Benz has a M button to put in manual mode and it is not intuitive , as driver has to take their eyes off the road to find the damn button on center console and press the M button again to take it off from Manual mode
Tried this this morning in my 991.2 4S. Agree the up shifts in normal and sport mode do feel a little sluggish, however, switch into Sport Plus mode and the shifts are brutal and much faster. Having never driven a GT3 I can’t compare but the difference between Sport Plus and the other modes is discernable. Not sure which mode CH was is in?

Quick Reply: Chris Harris Quote on the 992...