Sponsored by:

First Drive in 992

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 05:19 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I rarely flat out disagree with you Pete, but I can't agree with that highlighted statement. Personally, I have yet to hear a flat-six that sounds good. Yes, the engine in the 991 GT3/RS is pretty epic, but only really at about 7500 RPM and above, because anything in the lower RPM range sounds (as one of my passengers said) like "a broken garbage truck with a loose muffler"
No worries, and have seen your other posts about not caring for flat six engines in aural terms and respect it. All of us like what we like. But...2.0, 911R (old), 2.5 911T/R, 2.2S with MFI and a sport muffler, 2.5 986, 996.2 GT3, 987.1 3.4 Cayman S, 997 3.9 SW, 997 RS 4.0, 911R (new), and 991 GT3 in any version all sound pretty amazing to me. Ferrari V12 or best of 'Murican V8s good? In some cases, yes.

YM, of course, MV. And that's all good.

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
From the pics in this thread, it looks like the entire gray plastic "insert" is different. Which, knowing Porsche, is attached to the bumper, requiring a completely different bumper. https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1128...auto-show.html

You may be able to cut it wider, as there is a metal ring around the inside. But not sure....
The saving grace may be…paint, which might have had an effect on the way the 992 bumper is assembled > giving way to 2 main bumpers (standard and Sport Design) for the Carrera line with 4 or 6 inserts in black plastic. Will be curious to see.

Originally Posted by bonn72
All Flat Sixes aren't made the same. The 911 is a true Boxer. The only other production company using a true boxer is Subaru (WRX, STI, etc.). The sound between a standard flat and a true boxer will be different if all else is the same.
I don't think Germans use the term 'Flat' at all. I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong), this is an American term that comes from flattening a V engine (Flat V or 180º V). The difference is that Boxers have one crankpin per piston.

Anyway, just food for thought.
Good food for thought, and timely as we are working on something with Hans Mezger about the Typ 912 engine for the 917—and one point we've been discussing internally is whether we go with PAG's preference of "180° V12"...which grates on the ears of most over here. Agree with your point about "flat" as lingo from here (or wherever). It's a bit like "motor" being used for engine (which bugs me) or "sway bars" being used for anti-roll bars (which also bugs me). That said, I don't hate flat six or flat twelve because everyone understands what you mean, and some of the other options are either confusing or sound really odd.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:23 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 841 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by stout

Good food for thought, and timely as we are working on something with Hans Mezger about the Typ 912 engine for the 917—and one point we've been discussing internally is whether we go with PAG's preference of "180° V12"...which grates on the ears of most over here. Agree with your point about "flat" as lingo from here (or wherever). It's a bit like "motor" being used for engine (which bugs me) or "sway bars" being used for anti-roll bars (which also bugs me). That said, I don't hate flat six or flat twelve because everyone understands what you mean, and some of the other options are either confusing or sound really odd.
Agree!

I had to do a bit of research a while back when I told a friend that the only boxer engines that existed were from Porsche and Subaru (production). He argued some other engines and come to find out those were 'flat'.
What's interesting is that Christophorus magazine actually translated "freunde luftgekühlter boxermotoren" to "friends of air cooled flat engines". Why not use the word boxer???

Anyway, I know I'm being a bit picky.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:37 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

I like picky.

At the very least, it makes you think...
Old 02-08-2019, 07:34 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

Agree!

I had to do a bit of research a while back when I told a friend that the only boxer engines that existed were from Porsche and Subaru (production). He argued some other engines and come to find out those were 'flat'.
What's interesting is that Christophorus magazine actually translated "freunde luftgekühlter boxermotoren" to "friends of air cooled flat engines". Why not use the word boxer???

Anyway, I know I'm being a bit picky.
What's a 512BB? Chopped liver?

(Trick question: they literally called it a 'Boxer', but it was really a 180-degree V12.)
Old 02-08-2019, 07:54 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

and one point we've been discussing internally is whether we go with PAG's preference of "180° V12"...which grates on the ears of most over here.
I recently got spanked hard by a Ferrari expert for claiming that the Testarossa had a "Flat 12" engine, he went on a long explanation of how a 180 degree V12 isn't a real Flat 12.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:22 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
I recently got spanked hard by a Ferrari expert for claiming that the Testarossa had a "Flat 12" engine, he went on a long explanation of how a 180 degree V12 isn't a real Flat 12.
Experts stop learning has been ringing in my head all week. Love that. And worry that a Ferrari expert might be something like the guy who has to correct everyone when it comes to the pronunciation of "Porsche." Possibly wonderful, possibly insufferable—especially if you got spanked hard.

I might just have to stick with flat six, flat twelve etc as a result of this thread, if for not other reason than making it a single-digit salute in the style guide. There does come a point where it gets pedantic…and this coming from an English Major and the son of an engineer…
Old 02-08-2019, 09:08 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
What's a 512BB? Chopped liver?

(Trick question: they literally called it a 'Boxer', but it was really a 180-degree V12.)
LOL. Yeah. I actually know about that one.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:11 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Experts stop learning has been ringing in my head all week. Love that. And worry that a Ferrari expert might be something like the guy who has to correct everyone when it comes to the pronunciation of "Porsche." Possibly wonderful, possibly insufferable—especially if you got spanked hard.

I might just have to stick with flat six, flat twelve etc as a result of this thread, if for not other reason than making it a single-digit salute in the style guide. There does come a point where it gets pedantic…and this coming from an English Major and the son of an engineer…
But....(lol)..isn't it nice to know there is only one 6 cylinder Boxer engine available in the world? And it's made by Porsche So when you say Boxer 6, there's only one!

(Both Porsche and Subaru make 4 cylinder ones)
Old 02-11-2019, 07:46 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Sorry for being off topic, but I want to step in for the PSE in the base 991.2 without Sport Chrono, including the artificial pops. I (wish I) could listen to them all day! Please don't throw things at me! ;-)

God bless,
TT

Last edited by TomTarzian; 02-11-2019 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:52 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

But....(lol)..isn't it nice to know there is only one 6 cylinder Boxer engine available in the world? And it's made by Porsche So when you say Boxer 6, there's only one!

(Both Porsche and Subaru make 4 cylinder ones)
Totally off topic, but what about the H-6 that Subaru used in the 90's and 2000's in the SVX, some of the Legacies and the Tribeca / B9? Boxer or simply a 180 degree V6?
Old 02-13-2019, 05:03 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Totally off topic, but what about the H-6 that Subaru used in the 90's and 2000's in the SVX, some of the Legacies and the Tribeca / B9? Boxer or simply a 180 degree V6?
Good question. I'm sure you can find the answer somewhere, but I would guess it's a boxer. Not sure I know of any 180 V in Subarus. I also didn't realize they still had a six cylinder boxer: https://www.vansubaru.com/subaru-boxer-engine.htm

Old 02-13-2019, 05:25 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a B9 crank, so its a boxer.

Assuming that the Ebay page I got the pic from isn't a scam.

Last edited by Argon_; 02-13-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: First Drive in 992