Sponsored by:

New to Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 12:04 PM
yl_ksa
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default New to Porsche

I have been driving a BMW 640i Gran Coupe for more than five years now and it is time to change. I was initially intrigued by the new BMW 850i Coupe, then when I found it is within the same price range of the new 992 I got so excited. I started playing with the configurator and I am sure I have spent way too many hours researching every item. This will be my first Porsche and I would like to hear your feedback on the configuration I have done before placing the order. Please let me know if you think I should remove any option or if there is something really important I should be adding.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PLH44YS8
Old 01-03-2019, 12:35 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Because there are so many options to choose from, you will get many different opinions - so please don't take offense if I don't agree with all your choices - I just want to provide some feedback:

- Love the blue colour!
- The red interior can make the car harder to resell - especially if you have red on the dash and steering wheel. The 992 now offers a greater choice of two tone interiors and it's my impression that these will be more popular than something like you have configured.
- The leather interior is an expensive option, but in my opinion well worth it. I think it really completes the car.
- Great choice selecting the sport chrono package - very desirable option.
- 911's have pretty good ground clearance - I would think carefully about whether you need the axle lift system. it's not something you see many people choose.
- I'm not familiar with Ioniser and Ambient lighting as these are new options.
- A lot of people will say the Sports Exhaust is a desirable option. I don't feel that way and I prefer the look of the quad exhausts.

Overall seems like a really nice build - hard to wrong with a 911 .
Old 01-03-2019, 12:36 PM
Niamo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yl_ksa
I have been driving a BMW 640i Gran Coupe for more than five years now and it is time to change. I was initially intrigued by the new BMW 850i Coupe, then when I found it is within the same price range of the new 992 I got so excited. I started playing with the configurator and I am sure I have spent way too many hours researching every item. This will be my first Porsche and I would like to hear your feedback on the configuration I have done before placing the order. Please let me know if you think I should remove any option or if there is something really important I should be adding.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PLH44YS8
if i were you i will go for pdcc with active rear.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:13 PM
yl_ksa
Track Day

Thanks a lot for your input, and I won't take any offense, lookong for as much feedback as possible. Here are my comments on what you mentioned.

- Love the blue colour!
I really love the dark shade of it

- The red interior can make the car harder to resell - especially if you have red on the dash and steering wheel. The 992 now offers a greater choice of two tone interiors and it's my impression that these will be more popular than something like you have configured.
To be honest, I have been debating between it and the two tone with black, your comment definitely made me question the full red again lol. I'll need to visit the dealership to see how both will look. I am worried the full red will be too much.

- The leather interior is an expensive option, but in my opinion well worth it. I think it really completes the car.
Agreed

Will definitely miss it if it wasn't there

- 911's have pretty good ground clearance - I would think carefully about whether you need the axle lift system. it's not something you see many people choose
Our streets have stupidly sized speed bumps and weird angles in parking exits. I am worried that I'll need it even though it is an expensive option. I checked the 640i ground clearance and it's 152mm while the 911 is at 120mm. I've had a couple of scraps with the 640 before.

Ioniser is for the smell and ambient lighting to choose what light color you want, both are reasonably priced so why not.

- A lot of people will say the Sports Exhaust is a desirable option. I don't feel that way and I prefer the look of the quad exhausts.
Another option I was debating but I am liking the quad exhausts.

One final thing is the audio system, I stuck with the Bose as the Burmester is a very expensive option and not sure I'll notice the difference
Old 01-03-2019, 02:53 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Full red is too much for me and at one point I considered the black/ bordeaux two tone but adding black seat centres to downplay the red. At the end of the day, I decided on a similar exterior colour and went with expresso full leather as I felt the red was better with other colours such as the greys, whites and blacks. I agree that the Bose is worth it and Burmester isn't. As far as the seats go, I'd suggest you spend some time sitting in the different seats. The pics of the 992 seats appear to be a little different but I'm unsure if they are. anyway, I'm 5'9" with an "athletic build" (170 lbs) and don't find the 14 ways very comfortable as they feel narrow for my upper back. I find the sport plus seats far more comfortable and have rationalized the extra cost for the 18 ways due to preferring the lumbar and thigh support adjustments. My previous car had the LED headlights but I personally didn't notice much difference between them and the basic PDLS ones so chose to save a few bucks for my incoming 991.2.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:25 PM
yl_ksa
Track Day

It seems like I will be switching to the two tone black/red, and I’ll take your advise and try the different seats in the dealership. As for the lights, I like the dynamic cornering lights option, that’s why I picked the PDLS.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:06 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

... As for the lights, I like the dynamic cornering lights option, that’s why I picked the PDLS.
I may stand corrected (and am not as familiar with the 992 options) but I thought the basic PDLS have the cornering lights just not using LEDs.

edit: check out this link:
Old 01-03-2019, 05:43 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
I've had 911s with it and 911s without it. Unless deviated stitching is involved, I barely notice the difference. One problem with full leather is that it's nowhere near actual full leather. It should be called partial leather. To really do full leather in the car, it is far, far more expensive than the "full leather" option (which is already costly).

To OP - since this is your first 911, you should take a look at the 991 and see if you can ****** one of the final allocations. It's a far more attractive 911 to my eye (both interior and exterior) and notably less expensive. In particular, Porsche has absolutely nailed it with the Carrera T.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:37 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Good choice on the Bordeaux/Black interior. Full Bordeaux is a bit much. I've had my Bordeaux/Black interior for 2 and a half years and am still loving it. The Gentian exterior is fabulous. I totally disagree with the person who told you to grab a 991. The Gentian Blue alone is reason enough to go with a 992.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:17 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 225 Posts

Really nice build. I would also recommend full leather but add the black for some contrast. Have it in my Turbo and it looks outstanding!
Old 01-04-2019, 07:33 AM
bmcginn
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My only comment about ordering a Porsche (vs a BMW, MB, or Audi) is you need to thread the needle between getting the options you want and overbuilding the car, thus getting killed when you trade it in. The reality is you take an enormous hit on resale from options. As an example, I’ve been pricing out a 992 C4S on the configurator and it’s around $152k. Others will likely disagree, but I think that’s the upper limit to pay for a C4S.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:02 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,182 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by bmcginn
My only comment about ordering a Porsche (vs a BMW, MB, or Audi) is you need to thread the needle between getting the options you want and overbuilding the car, thus getting killed when you trade it in. The reality is you take an enormous hit on resale from options. As an example, I’ve been pricing out a 992 C4S on the configurator and it’s around $152k. Others will likely disagree, but I think that’s the upper limit to pay for a C4S.
Agreed that you shouldn't pay much more than that.... problem is to get the car I want I can't spend much (if any) less than that either...
Old 01-04-2019, 05:34 PM
Johisco
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

You should skip the 14 ways and get sport seats plus, 4 ways or 18.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:36 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 497 Posts

Black/Bordeaux is really unique. I ordered it after seeing it in person. I would never get full red interior, it’s just too much. Pass on PDCC, RAS. Led lights are so nice! Look at some of the interior leather bits in person. It helps you decide if you must have it. For me, yes. Finishes out the interior nicely and after seeing the plastic front dashes speakers, and sport chrono trim, you justed Cant unsee it.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:55 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks a lot for your input, and I won't take any offense, lookong for as much feedback as possible. Here are my comments on what you mentioned.

- Love the blue colour!
I really love the dark shade of it

To be honest, I have been debating between it and the two tone with black, your comment definitely made me question the full red again lol. I'll need to visit the dealership to see how both will look. I am worried the full red will be too much.

Agreed

Will definitely miss it if it wasn't there

- 911's have pretty good ground clearance - I would think carefully about whether you need the axle lift system. it's not something you see many people choose
Our streets have stupidly sized speed bumps and weird angles in parking exits. I am worried that I'll need it even though it is an expensive option. I checked the 640i ground clearance and it's 152mm while the 911 is at 120mm. I've had a couple of scraps with the 640 before.

Ioniser is for the smell and ambient lighting to choose what light color you want, both are reasonably priced so why not.

Another option I was debating but I am liking the quad exhausts.

One final thing is the audio system, I stuck with the Bose as the Burmester is a very expensive option and not sure I'll notice the difference
We don't yet know how the 2019/2020 (992 gen) 911 Bose system will compare vs the Burmester. Bose has changed their audio system from time to time in an effort to improve it so it may be the same or different than the 991 gen. In the current 991 generation there is, IMO, a big difference in favor of the Burmester that anyone can appreciate. You don't need to be an audiophile to hear the difference, it's pretty plain. So it boils down to how much money you want to spend and of course how important a premium sound experience is (other than your exhaust soundtrack) in your new 911. Either way enjoy your first Porsche.

Quick Reply: New to Porsche