Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 12:19 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I bet 95 out of 100 would get the PSE, and be happy they did. Throw a pair of high-flow cats on afterwards and you will love the sound, which is why you get it (not for where the tips are located since they are all fake anyway). And I vote for the Sport Design package, which helps the overall look (a little). And if you order one do it for self and not future buyers...if you like the way it looks and what it does get it.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:43 AM
yl_ksa
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So far here is what this post helped me decide on:

Interior: changed from full red to two-tone red/black.
Seats: Will consider the Sports Plus, will have to try it in the dealership and decide.
Lifting System: will get advice from dealership whether other buyers usually get it or not.
Audio: most probably Bose but will double check
PDCC & Rear Axle: Skip it.
PDLS Plus: Skip it but keep PDLS.

Also, I agree with Bob Z. about buying it for myself, not for future buyers.

I will keep you all updated. Thanks for all the input so far.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:09 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Whatever you do don't ask the dealeship (unless you survey existing customers in the showroom) whether you should get the FAL. I had my Targa GTS out yesterday and went in & out several steep drives and I never scraped. It really depends where you live and if you angle your approach you should be fine. Besdes, the front spoiler is cheap to replace. My SA even talked me out of getting it; however, he is the exception as most SAs would probably tell you to get it: higher cost cars benefit them more than the customer at times. I do have the RAS and love it so you may want to consider it, and the Bose is fine and yesterday I found myself turning it down to hear the car. Finally, I got the headlights for the Black trim since it goes with my car well and I did not want to settle for a decal.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:05 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

FWIW I would omit folding Mirrors, 14 ways, sport Chrono (if not tracking it probably won't get used much), adaptive cruise control and alcantara ceiling. Should be a beautiful car. I've got black/bordeaux, red stitching with carbon fiber dash etc. Beautiful.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:48 PM
sf-911
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also a newbie. My thoughts after a recent test. Everyone has their own priorities, so there is no single right answer. I had to reduce options from $25k to something more acceptable.

Rear wheel steering is very subtle. I tested it turning in the parking lot and around a 360 roundabout. Not worth the $3K to me. I'm not going to track it or run high speeds to feel the difference.

Front Axel lift prevents grinding on driveways and speed bumps. Salesguy said it is more critical on cars with PASM and lower ride options.
Replacing front plastic bumper protector costs $300, lower plastic undershield is also $300. I'll pay as you go and drive slowly/carefully like others.

Auditioned Burmeister in a vs Bose using CDs. Burmeister is definitely better, mostly in treble clarity and soundstage. If the engine is on,
source material is not prime, I would probably not hear a difference. $4000 saved. (I'm a hardcore audiophile and wanted to buy it)
Old 01-08-2019, 07:51 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sf-911
I'm also a newbie. My thoughts after a recent test. Everyone has their own priorities, so there is no single right answer. I had to reduce options from $25k to something more acceptable.

Rear wheel steering is very subtle. I tested it turning in the parking lot and around a 360 roundabout. Not worth the $3K to me. I'm not going to track it or run high speeds to feel the difference.

Front Axel lift prevents grinding on driveways and speed bumps. Salesguy said it is more critical on cars with PASM and lower ride options.
Replacing front plastic bumper protector costs $300, lower plastic undershield is also $300. I'll pay as you go and drive slowly/carefully like others.

Auditioned Burmeister in a vs Bose using CDs. Burmeister is definitely better, mostly in treble clarity and soundstage. If the engine is on,
source material is not prime, I would probably not hear a difference. $4000 saved. (I'm a hardcore audiophile and wanted to buy it)
It sounds like you have done your homework! I replied to your PM and get back to me if you have any questions.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:27 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,182 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by sf-911

that's good to hear... I really appreciate quality sound and keep convincing myself Burmeister is a must-have... but obviously haven't had the chance to test it.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:46 PM
yl_ksa
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So I tried the sport seats 18 way vs the comfort 14 way and I liked the sports more, it held me tighter as if the seats were hugging my back.

The dealership advised against the front axle lift saying people here usually order it with the GT3 only.

I chose to go with the Bose to keep the price down.

Oh and I also removed the Alcantara roofing.

Now the last thing I am indecisive about is whether I should get the PSE or not.

Also it seems there is an option to collect the car at the factory in Leipzig and get to drive it around the track, will have more information in a few days about details and pricing.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:06 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Get the PSE. Many who did not get it pay to have it installed afterwards. Add a pair of high-flow cats to it, such as Soul Performance as I did, and you will have a great sounding car in Sport mode and a quiet one when it is off.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:34 PM
Johisco
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I want PSE as per functionality but can't stand the looks...
Old 01-10-2019, 12:05 AM
MacAna
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yl_ksa
So I tried the sport seats 18 way vs the comfort 14 way and I liked the sports more, it held me tighter as if the seats were hugging my back.

The dealership advised against the front axle lift saying people here usually order it with the GT3 only.

I chose to go with the Bose to keep the price down.

Oh and I also removed the Alcantara roofing.

Now the last thing I am indecisive about is whether I should get the PSE or not.

Also it seems there is an option to collect the car at the factory in Leipzig and get to drive it around the track, will have more information in a few days about details and pricing.
Good decisions all round, I wouldn't do the PSE, 90% because I prefer the look of the quad-pipes and 10% because I don't need the slightly different exhaust note.

In our region, Factory delivery isn't offered - if you have that option, from what I've read over the years, DEFINITELY DO IT.

Apart from the red interior (not my cup of tea, but it's all personal taste), you have an awesome spec and won't look back at BMW after owning a Porsche. Congrats.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:15 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johisco
I want PSE as per functionality but can't stand the looks...
If I had my choice I would have taken the dual outer tips as well but after hearing the PSE with high-flow cats, and driving one in Sport mode, I quickly decided that I could live with the center tips, which have grown on me and I am waiting on a set of Black-coated Soul tips now. I hear the exhaust every time I start the car and since I back into my parking spot I don't see the *** end of the car anyway so the choice for me was an easy one.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:26 AM
Az911GT's
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good specs! Looks like we both are from the same region/country.

As others mentioned, avoid all red, black dash top will be great (similar to my TTS). If this is going to be your DD and you will be driving a lot on the highway, the adaptive cruise control is convenient. However I would eliminate it, given the sportiness of the car. I never used it in my Panamera in the past and definitely don't need it in my TTS, and other GT's. If you drive in the capital city or Eastern province you won't be needing the FL either. My TTS doesn't have it and all you need to do is be extra cautious approaching bumps and ramps. For other 911 GT's it's a must.

Almost identical (albeit yours is darker blue)......
Old 01-13-2019, 04:03 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Two tone interior is awesome.

RE: Full leather

I am generally too impatient to special order and I would venture to say 1/4 to a 1/3 of my cars have not had full leather. Never once missed it on cars that did not have it.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:39 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yl_ksa
I have been driving a BMW 640i Gran Coupe for more than five years now and it is time to change. I was initially intrigued by the new BMW 850i Coupe, then when I found it is within the same price range of the new 992 I got so excited. I started playing with the configurator and I am sure I have spent way too many hours researching every item. This will be my first Porsche and I would like to hear your feedback on the configuration I have done before placing the order. Please let me know if you think I should remove any option or if there is something really important I should be adding.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PLH44YS8
An interesting and exciting move, going from BMW to Porsche. I think nearly all of us also recognise the perhaps excessive amount of playtime on the configurator.

If I am not mistaken you are Saudi? (If not, then my browser displays the wrong currency on the Porsche code page.)
If so, I wonder if your choice of interior color will not get too hot in your climate (and thus choosing a lighter colour therefore perhaps bieng more preferable). But of course I can only make assumptions on this topic, whilst you have the real life experience. Two tone (black dash, rest coloured) is something I'd do anywhere though because of reflection.
Lovely blue exterior, the wheels also go well with it.

The only other item I'm thinking about is that I can heartily recommend to others is going all in on audio. Bose is pretty nice, but the Burmester really shines. But then again, music is really important to me. The amount you'd want to spend there is a personal preference thing. If I would have to choose between a leather interior or the high end audio option it would definitely be audio for instance.

Quick Reply: New to Porsche