Sponsored by:

MSRP discount 992

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 02:42 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
There’s a fine line between being smart with your finances and being overly frugal.
It's a good thing that where that delineation lies is entirely subjective, and can differ from one person's opinion to another
Old 01-03-2019, 11:19 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
You wouldn't believe how many nickel and dimers we have here. Not to mention those who are more dream than steam and look to buy above their means.
scene from the god father nickel and dimes. I value money but enjoy it. I negotiate , guess it’s the art of the deal .
Old 01-03-2019, 11:58 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I did not get what I have today by giving away more than I needed to get what I wanted.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
TaraFirma (02-05-2020), thesasquatch (10-13-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 07:24 AM
italiafan
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bolo

That’s one of my favorites too. But if you follow it too far it becomes circular.
Correct.
Rich people are rich because they have money, poor people don’t.
No one has purchased a Falcon 8X by skimping on tips at the local diner.

Nothing wrong with asking for loyalty discounts, but I wouldn’t wear it like a badge of honor either.
When I buy cars I value obtaining the product soon more than a few numbers on a computer screen looking at my investment accounts; particularly when they are depreciating faster than a 4 seat Ferrari!
Old 01-04-2019, 08:59 AM
bmcginn
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I suck at negotiating. I find it awkward, repulsive, and never worth the effort. I comparison shop, figure out what I think a fair deal is, and then buy from dealers where I have a relationship. I want to enjoy the experience and not get hung up on being miserable over a couple thousand dollars.
The following users liked this post:
mike.hicks (03-03-2020)
Old 01-04-2019, 12:01 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by bmcginn
I suck at negotiating. I find it awkward, repulsive, and never worth the effort. I comparison shop, figure out what I think a fair deal is, and then buy from dealers where I have a relationship. I want to enjoy the experience and not get hung up on being miserable over a couple thousand dollars.
I don't mind negotiating and agree with the rest of your post. To me, relationships are everything. We get 1-2 1/2% off up here.
The following users liked this post:
vdar (02-17-2020)
Old 01-04-2019, 06:23 PM
DMDSpag
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have always done best with car deals when I was not in a hurry, and kicked the tire a bit before disappearing. They will reach out to you, and when you act like you have better options or maybe you aren’t even interested anymore, they’ll deal with you if they want your business.
It’s easier to just find an SA that will be accommodating and fairly discount from the get go as some posters have mentioned above. It avoids uncomfortable situations and haggling.

I’ve had the experience at a Subaru dealer where the SA tacked on a couple thousand on the previously agreed price when it was time to do the deal. I was told it was impossible to sell the car for that price, I calmly told them I only had X dollars to spend. I’ve never seen a group of grown men turn so red and I thought for sure one of the sales mamangers was going to have an aneurysm. What got them really flustered is when I told them “it’s ok if it doesn’t work out, no big deal, thanks for your time”, and began posturing as if I’m about to walk out.

They acted like I was not allowed to walk out ! Like there was some law I had to buy this car right now, it was bizarre. But anyway, I left and they called the next day and agreed to the original discounted price. They also threw in all weather floor mats ��

On the 992 my strategy is going to be to wait 7-10 months until after all the supply/demand stuff cools off.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,787 Likes on 4,776 Posts

If you're a valued client, you should never have to ask to get a discount.

At worst, you might have to suggest it.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:02 PM
GreginNH
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It’s all part of the game. Unless it’s a special interest car, the dealers expect a certain amount of negotiation.

I have purchased dozens of cars from my Porsche Audi dealer. They have NEVER started a deal at MSRP.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:30 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Evo X
PM me your build code and I'll see if I can get you $4k off at my dealership.
$4k should be easy anywhere...I know my SA can do much better since $4k is only about 3% based on a $130k build, which I just guessed is the average 911 price.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:08 PM
Seanlabonte
Platinum Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Who wants to get to the front of the line? Allocations are available...
Old 01-06-2019, 11:52 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

This thread is absolutely hilarious. The car won’t be stateside for another 4-6 months and people are already worried about what kind of deal they are going to get!

Your buying an extremely expensive car that no one needs so if your really that concerned with saving money simply don’t buy one at all. That way you can hold onto every dollar you supposedly worked so hard to make which will likely just get blown on something else that you don’t need either...

Try to take your individual life story out of it and realize these Porsche dealers work with a majority of customers who are in extremely profitible careers with incomes that are often very disproportionate to the amount of “ work” put in.

Acting as if the “ evil, greedy “ dealership, with its insane overhead and hard working people in sales , parts and service aren’t worthy of a profit demonstrates very clearly where the greed lies.

The real problem with the so called “frugal rich” is that they have no problem taking your money so long as you don’t even think about taking theirs.

It was Roger Waters who put it best in the Pink Floyd song “ Money” :

“Money, it's a crime
Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie”

Old 01-06-2019, 11:56 AM
Seanlabonte
Platinum Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
This thread is absolutely hilarious. The car won’t be stateside for another 4-6 months and people are already worried about what kind of deal they are going to get!

Your buying an extremely expensive car that no one needs so if your really that concerned with saving money simply don’t buy one at all. That way you can hold onto every dollar you supposedly worked so hard to make which will likely just get blown on something else that you don’t need either...

Try to take your individual life story out of it and realize these Porsche dealers work with a majority of customers who are in extremely profitible careers with incomes that are often very disproportionate to the amount of “ work” put in.

Acting as if the “ evil, greedy “ dealership, with its insane overhead and hard working people in sales , parts and service aren’t worthy of a profit demonstrates very clearly where the greed lies.

The real problem with the so called “frugal rich” is that they have no problem taking your money so long as you don’t even think about taking theirs.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:59 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen

It's about symmetry. In my view if it's ok for the dealer to squeeze the client's ballz until he sings when they're selling GT3s, and extract a massive rent in the form of ADM, then it's ok for the client to do the same squeezing when he's buying a low demand, unconstrained supply model.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:46 PM
Bolo
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Quick Reply: MSRP discount 992