Sponsored by:

MSRP discount 992

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 11:49 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I would at least ask what they can do for pricing on a 992 and see what they have to say, not much effort to potentially save 4 digits even if I'm set on the car

Personally I dont have a reason to be loyal to any dealer I've worked with in the past, as they seemed to have forgotten my much appreciated business when it came time for me to inquire about a GT3/3RS allocation...

Don't you have that backwards? How many Porsches have you had? How many different dealers?
Old 01-02-2019, 12:14 PM
PorscheMeister42
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts

I would imagine that many of us have or have had "for profit" businesses in our lifetimes. When someone came to you with a desire for your greatest service / good offering, did you immediately stoop to discount that desired product to what they wanted to pay for it...or did you originally set the price at a margin you knew you were comfortable with and knew the market for said product called for based on how you were differentiated in the market? My personal opinion is, if you are looking to get a 911, or anything Porsche, you're there for a reason. You know the value proposition, you know its worth, and as a byproduct you pay the price for the product you want. Nobody owes you any favors for being a good client outside of superior customer service and a delivery of the product you were promised and paid for. You don't go to a Ritz-Carlton and ask them to drop your rate for the room because you're a valuable customer of theirs and their price doesn't suit you. There are other perks and benefits of being a valued client and price shouldn't be the driving factor of the relationship. It should seen as a nice gesture when you get a discount on a product like this, not an expectation. If someone really had to squabble over $2,000....c'mon now....
The following users liked this post:
phefner (10-16-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 12:24 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Sure I guess I'll share since I have time enjoying my coffee before work (don't want to derail this thread into an GT ADM thread, God knows we have enough of those)

dealer 1 - 997.1 base Carrera, 997.2 Targa, last gen Cayenne Turbo in 2012, 991.1 C2 2 year lease (cash upfront, all new), serviced all cars there. Have a good relationship with my SA there, he's a great guy. They have an open 3RS allocation @ 50 over and my SA telling me the GSM "willing to go to down to 35 for me as a good client... otherwise he is going to spec the car himself to sell at an ADM on the lot for that guy who walks in"

dealer 2- 991.2 C4, also inquired on 18 Cayenne platinum edition to see if giving them more business would be of interest for them and they told me "all 992.1 GT3 allocations already sold for 30 over" which I dont believe/doenst make much sense for me aka between the lines no chance for me getting a GT car from them

dealer 3- first gen Cayenne Turbo, first gen Cayenne Turbo S, 996.2 TurboS - all cash new, flew in to visit dealership etc (yes I see this is older business)

So, just in my experience 3 dealers, crickets/ADM/or laugh on GT inquiry. Switched dealers due to moving or because they couldn't get the car I wanted back then so had to look elsewhere Remember that I did these deals way back when with no ulterior motive to just be loyal to them maybe out of laziness or comfort and in exchange they did offer or move below MSRP, I felt like it was a good relationship/good deal on both sides. Sometimes I'd pass on a lower price elsewhere to stick with the same dealer, but it didn't get me much when I was hoping they would come through recently

Back then, dealers were willing and very eager to work for your business. No games or BS. My SA I chat with even so much as told me this, that back then getting MSRP was a big win and a victory for them as everyone pushed for under, especially on non-GT stuff

Now with the ADM climate and unless the economy tanks which I sure hope it doesn't, looking like for the 992 GT stuff going to be more of the same as the very desirable 911s most of us want. If they are going to strong-arm me into an ADM for those since my car buying has slowed down considerably (switched to properties/land...), then I don't really know why I would give them MSRP business out the gate/buy a 992 from them when I can shop around. They are shopping around for ADM buyers for the GT stuff when local customers want the car. One dealer is even kindly offering to put me on their list for 992.1 GT3 and have the opportunity to be one of the first to pay the "market rate" above MSRP

Just my 2 cents personally, as I do have interest in upgrading my .2 C4 for a 992 to try it out (maybe 2 year lease again), but I am keeping my 991.2 GT3 for a long time now as 992 and on will be much different to my eyes
Old 01-02-2019, 01:22 PM
BasaltBlack911
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera-T
My favorite saying: rich people are rich because they live like they are poor. Poor people are poor because they live like they are rich.
People act like it’s a crime to ask for a discount. It’s not. I have owned a number of Porsches and I service them all at this same dealer. The profit on these cars, unlike other brands, is quite high. I think I’ve read as high as almost $10k, not including profit on options, or manufacturer back end.

The only people who who think an extra $2000 is nothing for the buyer are dealers or people with more money than sense (unearned income).

Dealers and salesmen aren’t your friend. They consider you a mark and laugh about their customers behind their backs. Talk to people who used to be salesman.

Dealers need to understand and that there are many options out there, and as I’ve owned multiple 911s, I’m in no need to pay extra to be the first...

I’m going for $4k off. No more. No less.
JHW911 (12-17-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 02:07 PM
Bolo
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want the car how long will you wait to get a 4K discount? If you don’t get the discount will you still buy it?
Old 01-02-2019, 02:08 PM
Bolo
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

My favorite saying: rich people are rich because they live like they are poor. Poor people are poor because they live like they are rich.
That’s one of my favorites too. But if you follow it too far it becomes circular.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:26 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheMeister42
I would imagine that many of us have or have had "for profit" businesses in our lifetimes. When someone came to you with a desire for your greatest service / good offering, did you immediately stoop to discount that desired product to what they wanted to pay for it...or did you originally set the price at a margin you knew you were comfortable with and knew the market for said product called for based on how you were differentiated in the market? My personal opinion is, if you are looking to get a 911, or anything Porsche, you're there for a reason. You know the value proposition, you know its worth, and as a byproduct you pay the price for the product you want. Nobody owes you any favors for being a good client outside of superior customer service and a delivery of the product you were promised and paid for. You don't go to a Ritz-Carlton and ask them to drop your rate for the room because you're a valuable customer of theirs and their price doesn't suit you. There are other perks and benefits of being a valued client and price shouldn't be the driving factor of the relationship. It should seen as a nice gesture when you get a discount on a product like this, not an expectation. If someone really had to squabble over $2,000....c'mon now....
Great post, particularly considering its your first. Welcome.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:01 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

My SA is discounting 992s, just as he has for many of us here on Rennlist that have ordered/bought 991s; PM me for contact info. For those don't know one can buy a new Porsche from anywhere and have several delivery options such as at the Atlanta or LA Porsche Experience Center (PEC), which is an option when building, via Courtesy Delivery where the car is sent to your local dealer directly from Germany (PCNA pays the receiving dealer for the PDI although the dealer has to agree but since you will using them for warranty, etc. they usually agree), have the dealer ship it, or pick it up when it arrives. If one wants a manual though all you can do at this point is put your name on a list since as stated above that information is not available in order to place orders.
JHW911 (12-17-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 12:20 AM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Agreed.

OP - once a bunch of cars hit the ground and the new car hype has died down you should be able to get $4k off. If you want to be one of the 1st to have the new toy on the block you will be paying market value or the dealer will be selling it to the next guy in line most likely. Best of luck.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:14 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
You wouldn't believe how many nickel and dimers we have here. Not to mention those who are more dream than steam and look to buy above their means.
I dont think seeking below MSRP means you are a nickel and dimer but sure if $4k+ is nickel and dimes for you, hey more power to you. See Bob's post quoted below, I guess the people that seek his SA's info must be some real cheap peasants! SMH....

Uh, what? I've never negotiated on a hotel room in my entire life whether Four Seasons/Ritz/St. Regis/Fairmont or the Holiday Inn in some podunk town. They set a price and I shop around. Same for cars. The dealer can set a price and I shop around. If the Four Seasons is charging much higher than the Ritz, guess what, I'm going to stay at the Ritz. If Porsche dealership A is charging MSRP for the 992, and Porsche dealership B is willing to do under MSRP (ala Bob's post below), guess what. I must be one cheap SOB because I'm going to dealership B. No point in being loyal to dealer A and pay above what I need to as they will look out for their own interests, as will I.

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
My SA is discounting 992s, just as he has for many of us here on Rennlist that have ordered/bought 991s; PM me for contact info. For those don't know one can buy a new Porsche from anywhere and have several delivery options such as at the Atlanta or LA Porsche Experience Center (PEC), which is an option when building, via Courtesy Delivery where the car is sent to your local dealer directly from Germany (PCNA pays the receiving dealer for the PDI although the dealer has to agree but since you will using them for warranty, etc. they usually agree), have the dealer ship it, or pick it up when it arrives. If one wants a manual though all you can do at this point is put your name on a list since as stated above that information is not available in order to place orders.
Very cool and pertinent info for those interested, I didn't know about Courtesy Delivery until I needed it for my euro delivery. Seems like a nice SA to do business with, I like that he seems eager to earn your business and not the other way around.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:45 AM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,183 Likes on 598 Posts

I absolutely get discounts at hotels I give a lot of business to. (1 of which is a 4 seasons). If you frequent a hotel and don’t get a discount you are missing out, very easy to negotiate a corporate rate

Old 01-03-2019, 09:39 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I forgot to add that Europena Delivery is yet another way to get an ordered car; Courtesy Delivery applies to within the US only. And my SA actually tried to talk me out of a couple options based on what I told him I planned to use the car for - how many SAs do that?
Old 01-03-2019, 10:26 AM
Cautery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a 4,5% and the rev counter colored in white added as free! Not bad for a brand new car!
Old 01-03-2019, 01:16 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

There’s a fine line between being smart with your finances and being overly frugal.
detansinn (12-12-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 02:32 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
There’s a fine line between being smart with your finances and being overly frugal.
Exactly. There are no pockets in a shroud.

Quick Reply: MSRP discount 992