Sponsored by:

Porsche Reveals Details of 911 Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 09:59 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Thats probably gonna be the gt3 RS not the carrera.

I was thinking that actually.

Solid GT line they'll have. GT3 for the purist N/A experience. GT3 RS for the innovative "raw N/A + electric boost" experience, then the GT2 with who knows what. Likely a combo of all. The only thing that keeps me thinking that might not be feasible is that the hybrid tech (especially if matched with ICE power adders) will undoubtedly "un GT" the GT weight (or lack thereof) benefits.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:16 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

I dont think hybrid will add 700 lb otherwise we wouldve seen a 992.1 hybrid. They are waiting for a reason and actually cited weight as that reason. Im sure they will be able to shave 2-300 lb off this estimate which would put it somewhere close to a 992 turbo. Just my prediction albeit pure unbridled speculation.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:53 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Not sure where I read it- or if it is true- but during the 70s gas shortage crisis, Dr Porsche was reputed to say that when the last cars are built they will be Porsches.
His analogy was buggy whips. The market for buggy whips is a tiny group of very wealthy carriage enthusiasts. Maybe he knew from experience.
I agree with those who say they will find a way to make an interesting car. It probably won't be for me, but 500,000,000 not-so-Red Chinese will be waiting in line for it, at least to the extent they wait in line for anything.

IIRC, Porsche's quote was, "The last car on Earth will be a sports car." He didn't say it would necessarily be a Porsche...
Old 12-24-2018, 10:42 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Sure, it'll be heavier. But no doubt faster, with better handling because of the better weight distro.

It's not going to be a Panamera with a 911 badge. The 918 pretty much kicks everything else's *** out there. They'll use that experience to keep the 911 a 911, but better than the previous 911... as each new version seems to be.

Or were you just getting a jump on the wailing and gnashing of teeth that seems to happen with every single change to the 911?
The wailing has little to do with the spec sheet. The complaints come from the design and with respect to a hybrid, the added weight. Better weight distribution will not make up for the 700lb increase in weight. And part of what makes a 911 - a 911.... is the rear weight bias.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:13 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts

They will have to reinforce or strengthen the chassis for such an increase in power and especially that monster torque rating......My very heavy SL65 AMG with an unbelievable 738 pound feet of torque had so much more reinforcement in the chassis and i.e motor mounts and transmission mounts.......lots of extra chassis weight to handle the power., that car was a 200 mph car with no limiter which was 186mph.......

They could go carbon fiber everywhere like the 918 to save weight, but the cost to buy the car will be near 200K........interesting news........
Old 12-27-2018, 07:49 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Not really. The GT2RS has a better lap time on the Nurburgring than the 918 by 10 secs (which is huge). It did it without the the large HP advantage, motor torque and Mid-engine layout that the 918 offers. Oh....and for a much cheaper price.

Agree to some extent. I was driven around Porsche's Leipzig track by a pro driver in a Panamera Turbo Hybrid. I'm not sure what I was more impressed with.....the driver or the car. But make no mistake about it....the car was not a sports car.

But make no mistake about it......That is where the 911 is headed. Hybrid, Full electric, then no ICE.

This is exactly the point. Porsche isn't making Turbos, lower displacement ICE engines, hybrids or electric cars because people want them. They are building these cars to comply with the regulatory environment. I'm not saying there is not demand for these types of cars, but the developmental direction is not being controlled by the people who buy the car but by the people who regulate the cars.
If they built a new 918 it would be substantially lighter and have modern tires, obviously. Recall that they developed the 918 BEFORE they raced the 919, which won Le Mans 3 years on the trot, as well as 3 successive world championships.

Furthermore, Achleitner is retiring and Walliser - the 918 chief - is in charge of 911 and 718 as of January 1.

The hybrid 911 will be well received, will serve as a halo car for the entire 911 range, and Porsche will sell all of them they make, regardless of whether some whiners on Rennlist boycott. #NotMyPorsche
Old 12-27-2018, 09:05 PM
buddalun
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I can't wait for the 911 hybrid.

Said nobody. Ever.
I can't wait for a hybrid 911 or fully electric 911. You seem to struggle with change.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:06 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle

The wailing has little to do with the spec sheet. The complaints come from the design and with respect to a hybrid, the added weight. Better weight distribution will not make up for the 700lb increase in weight. And part of what makes a 911 - a 911.... is the rear weight bias.
Because you're taking data from the Panny and applying it as-is to a future car that has yet to be engineered.

A car that has changed - for the better, generally - with each iteration.

I doubt the hybrid 911 will be 700# heavier than the current model.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:08 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by jason952
Dr Porsche Built the first hybrid vehicle in 1900! I love seeing this come full circle but I'll keep my 911's on the lighter side
Great Marketing story again for Porsche as they will present about how they have come full circle and were ahead of the times.......
Old 12-28-2018, 11:44 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Is there a petition anywhere that we could sign in order to alert Porsche before they get too far ahead of themselves that almost no one will buy this thing? I'd hate to see them spend all this time and money developing a car that is so anti 911 philosophy I'm left wondering why they are bothering at all.

Also, when are these 918 "get with the future" band wagon riders going to realize that car is not a top performer because of it's hybrid power train? In fact, if all that over-complicated heavy nonsense was removed from the car just try and imagine how much better it would have been.

A hybrid 918 or 911 or any sports car for that matter achieves absolutely nothing other than serving as some type of chest beating exercise for the engineers and as a moral high ground for those who think that buying an expensive luxury item car for pleasure purposes isn't somehow an extreme waste of resources already.

Last edited by limegreen; 12-29-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:53 AM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All cars will be electrified in 10 years. ICE cars will not be manufactured in 20 yrs. You wont see a single gas station in 30 years. They will all be converted to charging station.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

991 will be the last 100% ice 911.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:03 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
All cars will be electrified in 10 years. ICE cars will not be manufactured in 20 yrs. You wont see a single gas station in 30 years. They will all be converted to charging station.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

991 will be the last 100% ice 911.
No way. Your first two sentences contradicted each other any way.

Edit: I just realized that your last sentence is entirely false too. The 992's engine is "100% ICE".

How is YOUR bubble doing? LMAO.

Last edited by subshooter; 12-29-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:06 AM
mohara
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I dont think hybrid will add 700 lb otherwise we wouldve seen a 992.1 hybrid. They are waiting for a reason and actually cited weight as that reason. Im sure they will be able to shave 2-300 lb off this estimate which would put it somewhere close to a 992 turbo. Just my prediction albeit pure unbridled speculation.
Unfortunately hybrids are invariably going to be heavier but I am sure Porsche will come up with a way to ensure the performance is comparable to non-hybrid models
Old 12-29-2018, 11:28 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
Is there a petition anywhere that we could sign in order to alert Porsche before they get too far ahead of themselves that almost no one will buy this thing? I'd hate to see them spend all this time and money developing a car that is so anti 911 philosophy I'm left wondering why they are bothering at all
The sad truth is that there are numberless potential 911 buyers out there who don't understand the ethos of the model, don't give a fick about the heritage of the marque, but they have some money and all they care is "duh, it's FASTER, so it's better", and they'll buy thousands of 992s and then hybrid and electric junk. True 911 enthusiasts are a dead breed. You can see it from the comments around here, on what is supposed to be an enthusiasts forum.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:38 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I’m down for electric. Especially if they can manage the fatness. In fact. Electric is more interesting to me than anything new Porsche is making the last 8 years which feel more and more like appliances. Just make the jump and be like a blender. Electric.
i have 4 others that stink and burn lots of oil to keep the eco terrorists happy.

Quick Reply: Porsche Reveals Details of 911 Hybrid