Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 has new/bigger turbos with more lag and 8 other facts!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 01:52 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 546 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
If we're just comparing based on Dyno graphs then I'll take a 2018 Mustang GT over either or a ZL1.... Drops mic.

Also - comparing modified cars is ridiculous. Picks up mic from floor. Drops mic again..
Was comparing 911 to 911, drops mic. Find a way a add 200 lb-ft of torque to the GT3 NA engine without going forced induction or nitrous or adding an hybrid system with electric motor. Picks up mic and drops mic again. Oh, and the GTS gets better gas mileage on the street too. Picks up mic and drops mic again.

And just to be clear on what the argument was, someone was complaining about turbo lag. I countered with I would rather have a couple tenths lag and an additional 200 lb-ft of torque.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:58 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Was comparing 911 to 911, drops mic. Find a way a add 200 lb-ft of torque to the GT3 NA engine without going forced induction or nitrous or adding an hybrid system with electric motor. Picks up mic and drops mic again. Oh, and the GTS gets better gas mileage on the street too. Picks up mic and drops mic again.
Why do you need 200ft lb more torque in a GT3? What race series is using a derivative of the 3.0tt and not a GT3 engine? There's your answer. (smashes guitar on the mic that slipped out of your hands)

Who the hell compares performance specs of a sports car and cares about MPG's? (pushes you off stage)
Old 12-28-2018, 02:06 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

The new cars aren't that much improved in terms of performance or handling.

~3 seconds around the entire ring from 991.1 to 991.2. Also - the 991.1S MURDERS the 991.2; very contrary to the propaganda typed here. BTW, the S times had RWS on the 991.2 for the ring....

https://fastestlaps.com/models/porsc...-carrera-s-991

https://fastestlaps.com/models/porsc...a-991-facelift

https://fastestlaps.com/models/porsc...s-991-facelift
I guess better is relative to what you find as important. However, if you are looking at performance, ride, technology and sound system to name a few.....the 991.2 is the superior car as compared against a 911.1. The 992 will also trump a 991.2. That’s how progress and improvement works. Hard to sell any product that isn’t better than the generation before it. Porsche is no exception.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:10 PM
OHWHATDA
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do you need 200ft lb more torque in a GT3? What race series is using a derivative of the 3.0tt and not a GT3 engine? There's your answer. (smashes guitar on the mic that slipped out of your hands)

Who the hell compares performance specs of a sports car and cares about MPG's? (pushes you off stage)
It sounds you just really want a NA engine, and don’t care about low end torque. So why don’t you just go back to sleep grandpa and we’ll wake you up when the new GT3 is out.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:26 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. Ice

I guess better is relative to what you find as important. However, if you are looking at performance, ride, technology and sound system to name a few.....the 991.2 is the superior car as compared against a 911.1. The 992 will also trump a 991.2. That’s how progress and improvement works. Hard to sell any product that isn’t better than the generation before it. Porsche is no exception.
You're right. Progress is needed for Porsche to sustain. But, the 991.2 was a flop in terms of sales figures vs the 991.1 and didn't offer enough performance increase to matter. Tech was a mild improvement but still light years behind the likes of Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc. I have a BMW for an appliance car and don't care about tech in a sports car. Hell, I'm lusting after a V8 Vantage GT....
Old 12-28-2018, 02:39 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

You're right. Progress is needed for Porsche to sustain. But, the 991.2 was a flop in terms of sales figures vs the 991.1 and didn't offer enough performance increase to matter. Tech was a mild improvement but still light years behind the likes of Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc. I have a BMW for an appliance car and don't care about tech in a sports car. Hell, I'm lusting after a V8 Vantage GT....
Not here to debate. I personally wanted a 911 after coming from a C7 and found the 991.2 to be superior to the 991.1. I didn’t and still don’t care what their sales figures may be. I buy cars based on what I like which may or may not be in line with the next guy. I have had my share of BMW’s and Mercedes....all nice cars but not what I was personally after. Lots of nice cars in today’s market with no right or wrongs. All that matters is if the person spending his money is happy with his purchase and I couldn’t be happier with my choice. I will either get a 992 or C8 ME as those are the only sports cars that currently appeal to me in the under $150k price point. However, their are many great choices!
The following users liked this post:
b2nvs2001 (10-14-2021)
Old 12-28-2018, 02:41 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 546 Likes on 372 Posts

What top level race series uses a rear-engined Porsche? Or right.... Porsche made the 911 RSR mid-engine.... And actually, fuel economy is VERY important in motorsports, especially 24 hour of Le Mans. If they can stretch one extra lap on a stint, that translates into many pit stops eliminated which saves many minutes over the course of 24 hours. And when recent races have been decided by less than a lap, every minute counts. Burns stage down that guitar swinging dude was on taking the whole venue with it.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:46 PM
garfunkle
Banned

What top level race series uses a rear-engined Porsche? Or right.... Porsche made the 911 RSR mid-engine.... And actually, fuel economy is VERY important in motorsports, especially 24 hour of Le Mans. If they can stretch one extra lap on a stint, that translates into many pit stops eliminated which saves many minutes over the course of 24 hours. And when recent races have been decided by less than a lap, every minute counts. Burns stage down that guitar swinging dude was on taking the whole venue with it.
The NA cars get better economy when you actually drive them. The 3.0tt only wins when you don't get into boost. Like that test with an M3 against a Prius and the M3 got better economy for hot laps. No 24 hour Porsches use turbos. The RSR cars are mid engine - yes. But we were talking performance of things that existed and how is that relevant when I brought up dyne curves of other things and the response was - " well, we're only considering 3.8NA vs 3.0tt"?
Old 12-28-2018, 03:28 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

The NA cars get better economy when you actually drive them. The 3.0tt only wins when you don't get into boost. Like that test with an M3 against a Prius and the M3 got better economy for hot laps. No 24 hour Porsches use turbos. The RSR cars are mid engine - yes. But we were talking performance of things that existed and how is that relevant when I brought up dyne curves of other things and the response was - " well, we're only considering 3.8NA vs 3.0tt"?
I don't find that to be true in real daily driving.

Both my m3 and x5m are twin turbo, both return better gas mileage for me on the streets, under hard driving vs equivalent NA.

As far as turbo lag, I had switched from a NA 6.2 v8 amg engine for 3 years and I have adapted my driving to avoid most all lag with FI engines. I just have to anticipate the engine's response by downshifting a bit earlier before throttle. What is most important to me is the engine applies consistent throttle each time.

I think Randy Pobst video of the 991.2 S sums it up the best, when he says he can't tell it is turbocharged at all. I test drove the S before I ordered one, and I did not sense much lag for me. I've never driven a GT3, so perhaps ignorance is bliss.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:50 PM
OHWHATDA
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How about you provide a source for your made up 991.2 sales figures? It seems like Grandpa forgot to take his pills again cause apparently the GT3 sold more units than every 991.2 turbo engine model (all 21 models!), and every turbo engine 911 was apparently sold only in China.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:52 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

991.2 2018 - H1 double digital growth y-o-y 28% Source Porsche Newsroom

The 991.2 - 991.1 change as reported by Porsche, represented the single largest leap in performance between any generation.

When magazine racing its wise to compare like for like e.g. same track - same driver. For example the difference between the 991.2 S and 991.14S at Laguna Seca, when driven by Randy Pobst was around 2.5 seconds a lap. Likewise when Chris Gebhardt tested the 991.2 GTS at Hockenheim Short is was ~ 2.9s quicker than his time in the 991.1 GTS - keep in mind his time in the .2 GTS was within 0.1s of his time in the 991 series II GT3.

The 992 will improve on these time differences ~ 0.5s/minute or thereabouts.

Its how you drive them that counts and this applies to NA as much as turbo. . Good drivers adapt and optimise.

You could always sign up for a 982 718 GT4.....that should give you the experience you're looking for (or pick up a used GT3 - plenty of them out there).

Last edited by groundhog; 12-28-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:29 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
991.2 2018 - H1 double digital growth y-o-y 28% Source Porsche Newsroom

The 991.2 - 991.1 change as reported by Porsche, represented the single largest leap in performance between any generation.

When magazine racing its wise to compare like for like e.g. same track - same driver. For example the difference between the 991.2 S and 991.14S at Laguna Seca, when driven by Randy Pobst was around 2.5 seconds a lap. Likewise when Chris Gebhardt tested the 991.2 GTS at Hockenheim Short is was ~ 2.9s quicker than his time in the 991.1 GTS - keep in mind his time in the .2 GTS was within 0.1s of his time in the 991 series II GT3.

The 992 will improve on these time differences ~ 0.5s/minute or thereabouts.

Its how you drive them that counts and this applies to NA as much as turbo. . Good drivers adapt and optimise.

You could always sign up for a 982 718 GT4.....that should give you the experience you're looking for (or pick up a used GT3 - plenty of them out there).

This whole turbo vs NA argument is dead upon the realization that Porsche DID NOT want to turbocharge the 911 Carrera. This industry wide movement towards downsized turbo engines is nothing more than the result of pressure for reduced emissions and fuel consumption. It offers them the ability to essentially cheat the regulations while offering more power which is produced "on demand" to satisfy the requirements of a consumer base that is virtually absent of all logic when it comes to purchase motivation.

Turbos add significant cost and complexity to the engineering process, vehicle design and layout, increased component count and weight along with reduced reliability, increased warranty claims, added complexity regarding diagnosis and repair etc. and also carries with it several other drawbacks including lag, reduced throttle response and driving dynamics, muted exhaust note etc.

The added performance, while being a nice side effect, is basically a consolation prize for having to deal with not only the drawbacks but the realization that the maintenance and repair costs will also be significantly higher for those who do not treat their 911's as 2-3 yr. rentals.

The turbo engine movement ( scam) has unfortunately swept the industry and Porsche is now caught up in it just the same. It unfortunately is here to stay and has proven successful because the average consumer buys on nothing more than face value figures with little consideration for anything else or at least until they realize that the fuel economy numbers posted on the window sticker are almost impossible to achieve in real world driving....

Last edited by limegreen; 12-28-2018 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:44 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

...what Limegreen said. As an added bonus, the turbo Carreras get the turbo whistle at no extra charge. A rare freebie from Porsche!
Old 12-29-2018, 12:02 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

It is what it is . Plenty of used NA Porsche sports cars out there - there is no need to buy a 991.2 or 992 for that matter. However, there is also plenty to enjoy with turbo charged variants - I happen to enjoy both types e.g. I have a deposit down on the 718 GT4, I suspect it'll be a lot of fun. By the same token its hard to go past the current GTS (which I also own) it really does square the performance comfort circle.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:34 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

And just to be clear on what the argument was, someone was complaining about turbo lag. I countered with I would rather have a couple tenths lag and an additional 200 lb-ft of torque.
Have at it and stop dropping the mic! Porsche gave you 4 permanently mounted ones in the inner fenders!

I'll take the NA engine all day long.

Quick Reply: 992 has new/bigger turbos with more lag and 8 other facts!