Sponsored by:

992 C2S vs 991.2 GTS builds...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 01:29 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by 9912c4
5s faster around the Ring is quite something. And why should everybody want to spend the 5k $ for the SD package to make it look like the 991.2? Might be true for you, but I want a 992 because it looks and feels new. No need to spend lots of $$$ to make it look 991.2 again. Then rather directly buy a 991.2....
I don't know about you,...but a 5 second improvement for the Ring means squat in daily driving. Unless you track any of these it pretty much means nothing in the real world. Relative street performance difference between a 991.2 (S or GTS) and 992 will be very minimal. I was looking for more from the 992, Porsche could have done much better IMO.

Why would I spend $5k for the SD package?.....to make the car actually look presentable next to a 991.2 and other comparables. Sorry, I don't like the ugly huge swath of cost saving black plastic Porsche decided to design here. Flat out it looks bad and unfinished. Normally Porsche does not offer the SD package until a year or two into a run (or even when the GTS arrives), however they offer it right now for the 992 and I'm in the belief it was intentional. A good way to get $5K out of perspective buyers. They don't even offer the front portion only as in previous models as now you have to buy the whole package just to fix the front (the rear changes are laughable), kind of a scam IMO. If you like your 992 without the SD, fantastic, works for you then!....I could not look at one without it.

I'll give that the 992 looks "new",....as it pretty much looks like all other Porsches on the lot now,....which for me is not a plus. I would have liked a little distinction here. Most people won't know the difference,...it's just a 911 to them.
As far as feel new,....same chassis with little tweaks here and there,....meh, nothing earth shaking. PDK with an extra gear (now 2 gears above 1:1 ratio instead of 1 for economy ) probably the biggest change.

If I was in the market today I'd buy a discounted 991.2 GTS and thoroughly enjoy it until the 992 GTS or 992.2 arrives,....the 992 base/S just doesn't do enough for me. If I already owned a 991.x today (which I do) I'd still be waiting for the 992 GTS or better. Maybe by then they will fix some things I dislike the most.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:00 PM
darkknight26
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
I don't know about you,...but a 5 second improvement for the Ring means squat in daily driving. Unless you track any of these it pretty much means nothing in the real world. Relative street performance difference between a 991.2 (S or GTS) and 992 will be very minimal. I was looking for more from the 992, Porsche could have done much better IMO.

Why would I spend $5k for the SD package?.....to make the car actually look presentable next to a 991.2 and other comparables. Sorry, I don't like the ugly huge swath of cost saving black plastic Porsche decided to design here. Flat out it looks bad and unfinished. Normally Porsche does not offer the SD package until a year or two into a run (or even when the GTS arrives), however they offer it right now for the 992 and I'm in the belief it was intentional. A good way to get $5K out of perspective buyers. They don't even offer the front portion only as in previous models as now you have to buy the whole package just to fix the front (the rear changes are laughable), kind of a scam IMO. If you like your 992 without the SD, fantastic, works for you then!....I could not look at one without it.

I'll give that the 992 looks "new",....as it pretty much looks like all other Porsches on the lot now,....which for me is not a plus. I would have liked a little distinction here. Most people won't know the difference,...it's just a 911 to them.
As far as feel new,....same chassis with little tweaks here and there,....meh, nothing earth shaking. PDK with an extra gear (now 2 gears above 1:1 ratio instead of 1 for economy ) probably the biggest change.

If I was in the market today I'd buy a discounted 991.2 GTS and thoroughly enjoy it until the 992 GTS or 992.2 arrives,....the 992 base/S just doesn't do enough for me. If I already owned a 991.x today (which I do) I'd still be waiting for the 992 GTS or better. Maybe by then they will fix some things I dislike the most.
The front SD bumper is available on its own and not surprising, it's the more expensive single option.
The new front is beggining to grow on me and doesn't look to bad once the number plate is on. I would reserve judgement once you've seen it in the metal.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:10 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by darkknight26
The front SD bumper is available on its own and not surprising, it's the more expensive single option.
The new front is beggining to grow on me and doesn't look to bad once the number plate is on. I would reserve judgement once you've seen it in the metal.
Ahhh, you are right, didn't see it down the list.....yeah, very pricey for just the front.

LOL,....kinda funny, so you have to add the license plate to hide the ugly?
Being in the US I never run a front plate (truly ugly), so it would have to be at least the SD front for me! With it the 992 looks at least decent to me.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:43 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by pietrostone
Official times at ring are :

991.2 S: 7:30 Pirelli PZero
991.2 GTS : 7:26 Pirelli Pzero
991.2 GTS : 7:22 Pirelli Pzero Corsa (optional)
992 S: 7:25 Pirelli Pzero

Pietro its hard to know what to make of Porsche times - they appear quite selective and without knowing who the drivers are, its like comparing apples, oranges and limes; often without proof and driven by marketing necessity and balance.

Auto Motor und Sport is a really good source of reliable information and they use the same driver for their supertests - Chris Gebhardt (who is still a very good driver).

Chris tested the 991.2S and did a time of 7:34

He also tested the 991.2 GTS and did a time of 7:24 (7:23.77) and the 991.2 GT3 7:18.

The Porsche works drivers are appreciably quicker ~ 5s per lap e.g. Chris Gebhardt 991.2 GT3 7:18 Vs Porsche works driver, Lars Kern 7:12.7

I suspect Chris will be about 5s quicker in the new S and put in a time around 7:29 e.g. splits the last gen GTS and S.

Also its worth noting the Auto Motor und Sport times have video proof and a published sector break down. In this regard Porsche are very selective and as I pointed out above play times relative to marketing.

I look forward to independent reviews of performance

Its worth keeping in mind these times are blisteringly fast and a 7:25 by a works driver is crazy quick for a grocery getting Carrera S.

Last edited by groundhog; 01-01-2019 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:10 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

if you are perhaps going to end up buying a 992 GTS if and when it does come out, maybe buy a nice used 991.2 GTS while you wait? i'm sure there are many good ones in the used market and you wont have to worry so much about depreciation value compared to a new 991.2 GTS. Personally, I like the 991.2 over 992. If the decision was for the long terms, I would buy 991.2 GTS over 992 CS. If there is a possibility that you may change your mind in two or so years when the 992 GTS comes out, i think it would be a waste of money to buy a new 991.2 GTS now.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:21 AM
2thdoc14
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I ordered a 991.2 GTS in Carmine Red! I will keep the car for 4 years or so, then order a new one for Euro delivery. I dont keep cars all that long, and i cant find a GTS out there with the options I want, so used or on the lot isnt an option.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:27 AM
GT3(991)
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't understand all the hate with the new 992, some people complain about the weight, but a 2018 911 Turbo S has a curb weight of 3528 lbs and I don't hear anyone complain about the performance of that car. I will agree that the electric razor looking shifter isn't a design I like, but the rest of the car is really growing on me. The 992 has a stretched out and sleeker look to it and when you go to the configurator and compare a 991 Carrera S next to the 992, it begins to look a bit Portly. Anyways! I'm sure Porsche knows what it's doing and when the 992 Turbo S and the GT3 and GT3RS come out, they'll be amazing performance wise and who knows what kind of shifter configuration they'll come out with for those models.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:41 AM
MacAna
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the exact same dilemma in 2012... buy a 997 GTS or a new 991 S

I went with the 991 S and believe it was 100% the right decision. The moment the 991 range hit the streets, the 997 range looked dated and I would have hated it - that's how I am, shallow I guess ;-) The 6mth wait I had to endure was worth it.

As a result, I waited a long time considering options on a 991.2 GTS and finally bit the bullet and paid my deposit on a 992 last month - no way I'd be happy driving last year's model.

My environment is a bit different though, Porsche South Africa do not do discounts on new cars, at all, non-negotiable. So my 992 build is about $2000 higher than the 991.2 GTS I wanted but with a much improved interior.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:46 AM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 835 Likes on 417 Posts

I love all you guys talking about Nurburgring lap times. Get real. Unless you guys are Walter Rohrl or Timo Kluck, knock it off please. No average driver with some track experience is getting anywhere near those times. I’m not buying a car over another car because it’s 1 second quicker around the ring. Good luck finding a substantial discernible performance difference in a .2 GTS vs a 992 S.

Last edited by ryandarr1979; 01-05-2019 at 03:48 AM. Reason: stuff
Old 01-05-2019, 05:44 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
I love all you guys talking about Nurburgring lap times. Get real. Unless you guys are Walter Rohrl or Timo Kluck, knock it off please. No average driver with some track experience is getting anywhere near those times. I’m not buying a car over another car because it’s 1 second quicker around the ring. Good luck finding a substantial discernible performance difference in a .2 GTS vs a 992 S.
I think you're missing the point - its more a question of reviewing how much a vehicle has improved and where those improvements are coming from - power, torque, suspension, brakes, aero, gearing, weight reduction etc. More so given, as a rule, Porsche are about incremental improvements. For some the improvements are important, for others they are minor or even irrelevant. Either way comparative times, particular where sector analysis is offered are useful means of understanding whats on offer and where the cars strengths and weaknesses are.

By the way there are plenty of good drivers around here. Whats a second worth? In the last event of last season I stuffed up my tire management early on in the peace - 1s turned into a difference of 17 places . Different strokes for different folks
Old 01-05-2019, 11:50 PM
BlackCubic
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've owned a 991 generation already. Why not something new?
Old 01-10-2019, 05:10 PM
Johisco
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog

Pietro its hard to know what to make of Porsche times - they appear quite selective and without knowing who the drivers are, its like comparing apples, oranges and limes; often without proof and driven by marketing necessity and balance.

Auto Motor und Sport is a really good source of reliable information and they use the same driver for their supertests - Chris Gebhardt (who is still a very good driver).

Chris tested the 991.2S and did a time of 7:34

He also tested the 991.2 GTS and did a time of 7:24 (7:23.77) and the 991.2 GT3 7:18.

The Porsche works drivers are appreciably quicker ~ 5s per lap e.g. Chris Gebhardt 991.2 GT3 7:18 Vs Porsche works driver, Lars Kern 7:12.7

I suspect Chris will be about 5s quicker in the new S and put in a time around 7:29 e.g. splits the last gen GTS and S.

Also its worth noting the Auto Motor und Sport times have video proof and a published sector break down. In this regard Porsche are very selective and as I pointed out above play times relative to marketing.

I look forward to independent reviews of performance

Its worth keeping in mind these times are blisteringly fast and a 7:25 by a works driver is crazy quick for a grocery getting Carrera S.
Agree, it is hard to compare. And if it is a standard Carrera S without all go-fast-stuff it will be a lot faster when those are applied. PASM alone would shave up to 4 sec which would make 7:21. What about with RWS and PDCC?
Old 01-14-2019, 06:10 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I am in the same camp. Wait for the 992 or buy the last 991.2? Just been debating and arguing with myself for months about it. Decided with going the 991.2 route as there are just too many things I dislike or question on the 992 right now.

I dont like the way the front reminds me of the beetle
I really dislike the clamshell spoiler
I am going to use the pdk shifter to shift gears and the nubbin is non shifting
The weight and size increased which is now getting close to the weight of my f80 m3 and that’s just ridiculous for a 911 imo.
Marginal improvements on handling and power it seems
wet mode is useless to me in sunny ca
interior to me looks like a toy compared with the new AMG GT refresh, too much use of piano black and large empty areas on the center console

I plan on keeping the car for 6 years and the new 992 is just too compromised for me. I get that some of you like to be noticed in a new car, but I just don’t find 911s rare at all here at so cal and if you want to be noticed it’s the wrong car in general. I saw 3 991s in less than 10 minutes the other day just grabbing lunch. Better off getting the new Aston if u want loud and look at me attention.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:49 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread should have a poll. GTS spec will in the end be more desirable and personal preference would also steer me toward the 991.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:41 PM
991.2ducktail
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One good reason to go 991.2, manual transmission.

Quick Reply: 992 C2S vs 991.2 GTS builds...