Sponsored by:

My LA Auto Show 992 Impressions - A Different View

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 11:15 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian S.
Sorry, but I find the previous incarnation far prettier. The front end of the new one just doesn't work for me, and the side view proportions don't work either.

Here in the UK it's £120K for the base. A competitor perhaps for 992 GTS models in the future?

I genuinely hope it's a success for them. It's just a great pity they don't have anything for sale in the £80-£100K range.
Aston Martin’s finishes and quality are way too nice to be able to build and sell anything in that lower price range. I glad they don’t scale it back and ruin quality or offer a lower quality product. You really just have to sit in one, crank it up and drive it. The engine note, quality and road feel is a step or two above.

people above are talking about spending $150k range so this is definitely in that price range if you spec it right. They actually don’t need that many options. Lol, if dropping $150k, what’s another $15k or $20k.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:25 AM
boyko23
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H

Aston Martin’s finishes and quality are way too nice to be able to build and sell anything in that lower price range. I glad they don’t scale it back and ruin quality or offer a lower quality product. You really just have to sit in one, crank it up and drive it. The engine note, quality and road feel is a step or two above.

people above are talking about spending $150k range so this is definitely in that price range if you spec it right. They actually don’t need that many options. Lol, if dropping $150k, what’s another $15k or $20k.
Except the leather, almost everything else looks cheap and borrowed from lower segments in an Aston, sorry...
Don't talk about exterior design of course...
Old 12-06-2018, 11:26 AM
Christian S.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Sitting in one and driving it might change my mind, but the images of the interior don't make me want to run out and test drive one.

I agree, quality has been good in recent Astons, but against that is the parts bin sourcing for switchgear & systems. I think the Vantage's interior design is equally odd. It reminds me of TVR interiors.

For whatever reason, it just doesn't make me want to rush out and toss another £20K into the equation.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:45 PM
eisenb11
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if anyone covered this already.

Looks like the key slot on the left of the steering wheel is gone. How does one start the car? Is there a push to start button somewhere? Or are you supposed to interact with the nubbin in uncivilized and unmentionable ways?
Old 12-06-2018, 02:33 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
I guess you're right. It IS a bit flashy. But it's fun.
Lol. Glad that you enjoy it. Sincerely. Enjoyed the wife/car story - those are great moments. Kudos.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:26 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,787 Likes on 4,776 Posts

Originally Posted by eisenb11
Not sure if anyone covered this already.

Looks like the key slot on the left of the steering wheel is gone. How does one start the car? Is there a push to start button somewhere? Or are you supposed to interact with the nubbin in uncivilized and unmentionable ways?
It's there. A mini-me Braun razor
Old 12-07-2018, 02:52 AM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

Lol, uglier is one word does not come to mind with any Aston Martin. You can get them in the $165k to $175k range if you option it smartly. Base models are better appointed than well optioned 911s. I think the weight is around 3,300 pounds, but come on . . . most on here purchasing these cars cannot even drive 7/10s so weight is really a non issue. Handling and feel is more predicated on a car is set up than a few hundred pounds. Heavier modern cars feel more racy and nimble than old air cooled 911s which I really don't even find that enjoyable anymore.

Vantages can be leased for $1250 per month (+ tax), $5k due at signing, 36 months/5k miles per year. That kind of lease is better than any 911 lease will be if your over the low MRM, and the Aston is a rarer, more special car with really nice interior quality and the AMG reliability and sound. That deal is based on a 175k car...
Old 12-07-2018, 07:49 AM
italiafan
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
I was definitely talking about the 991, and not in a negative way. My first 911 was a brand new Guards Red 1987 Targa. We paid $47,000 for it. We had a 1985 1/2 944 but always wanted a 911. I ordered the 911 without telling my wife, and when it arrived I told my wife we should take a ride to the Porsche dealership just to see what they had. There it was, sitting in the showroom with a big red bow on it. My wife said "That's a beautiful car. I wonder who it was gift wrapped for." I said, "It's yours." Very happy wife, very happy life. The car became her daily driver and my weekend car. She'd strap the car seat into the passenger side and drive around with our newborn daughter. Would I trade my 991 for that car as a daily driver? No way! Did I love that car in its day? Absolutely!
great story!
i did the same thing last spring with a new cayenne turbo.
she loves it!
Old 12-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by boyko23
Except the leather, almost everything else looks cheap and borrowed from lower segments in an Aston, sorry...
Don't talk about exterior design of course...
Lol, lower segments of Aston Martin??? The Vantage is their entry level car. No idea what cars you have or are used to, but I currently have a Ferrari, Lambo, 991.2 Turbo, 997.2, Macan S and a DB11 in my garage and I also purchased new one of those pictured in you Avatar in 2005.

Based on what I currently have and have had over the years, Aston Martin including the Vantage have a better fit and finish on everything interior than everything I mentioned above. There is also not lower segment in Aston to borrow parts from a part bin.

Aston Martin are actually one of the few sports cars left that truly keeps attention to details over mass produced, costs per unit mentality which Porsche is perhaps more guilty of than anyone in the sports car market.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:23 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ssiminou
Vantages can be leased for $1250 per month (+ tax), $5k due at signing, 36 months/5k miles per year. That kind of lease is better than any 911 lease will be if your over the low MRM, and the Aston is a rarer, more special car with really nice interior quality and the AMG reliability and sound. That deal is based on a 175k car...
The MRM can be a killer for those looking to lease 911s off a lot as most have a decent amount of options.

Look, I love 911s and have used 911 turbos as my daily drivers since 1989. They are DDs and have a back seat sufficient for my children . . . just started over with kids after marrying younger wife so still need a back seat in at least one car.

If you are purchasing a 911 for a weekend toy or a second car that does not need a back seat, check out the new Vantage.

I did not like the old Vantage looks as it was getting very dated. Both the DB11 and the new Vantage in person are cutting edge and unbelievable entries into the super car market of which Porsche really is not except the 918, and upper end GTX cars.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:18 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,182 Likes on 597 Posts

The MRM can be a killer for those looking to lease 911s off a lot as most have a decent amount of options.

Look, I love 911s and have used 911 turbos as my daily drivers since 1989. They are DDs and have a back seat sufficient for my children . . . just started over with kids after marrying younger wife so still need a back seat in at least one car.

If you are purchasing a 911 for a weekend toy or a second car that does not need a back seat, check out the new Vantage.

I did not like the old Vantage looks as it was getting very dated. Both the DB11 and the new Vantage in person are cutting edge and unbelievable entries into the super car market of which Porsche really is not except the 918, and upper end GTX cars.
I love the new Vantage. Unfortunately I'm in the same category of needing a back seat for the kiddos every once and a while. Amazing how the 911 still stands relatively alone in that category. I love the R8 but same problem... what else competes with 911 that gives you DD practicality with kids?? This is why I currently drive an F80 M3 (which I have a blast with btw).
Old 12-07-2018, 04:03 PM
Christian S.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Both the DB11 and the new Vantage in person are cutting edge and unbelievable entries into the super car market of which Porsche really is not except the 918, and upper end GTX cars.
This I agree with wholeheartedly - it's apples and oranges. The Vantage has been aimed at a different market segment from the majority of the 911 range.

It's probably a very sensible business move, allowing for a smaller production run whilst returning greater margin per vehicle.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:57 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by slc4s
I love the new Vantage. Unfortunately I'm in the same category of needing a back seat for the kiddos every once and a while. Amazing how the 911 still stands relatively alone in that category. I love the R8 but same problem... what else competes with 911 that gives you DD practicality with kids?? This is why I currently drive an F80 M3 (which I have a blast with btw).
The best thing about 911s is that you can put your kids in the back seats, cheap maintenance and drive them till their wheels fall off reliability. I have yet to own an R8. Keep driving them, kind of liked the gated shifter and they are fun cars . . ., but the 458 is just such a better car for just a little more money.

I miss my 458 street (still have the Challenge) more than any other car I had in a long while. My wife purchased my DB11 for me for my 50th birthday last year so I sold the 458 to keep within my car budget. Don't tell the wife, but I want my 458 back and will get another one when the DB11 is gone next year. The 488 is awesome, but I just personally like the 458 better. Give one of those a try if and when you are thinking about making that jump to a 2 seater.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:18 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14

Lol. Glad that you enjoy it. Sincerely. Enjoyed the wife/car story - those are great moments. Kudos.
Thanks. Just to let you know, my interior is not bright red, it's a somewhat more subdued shade. However, my top is red as well. As for the vanity plate, I've run 35 marathons, so I figured a little bragging was in order.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:20 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by italiafan

great story!
i did the same thing last spring with a new cayenne turbo.
she loves it!
I'm lucky I have a "car guy" for a wife. She retires next October, and I'm hoping her 992 Targa is available shortly thereafter - with a manual gearbox of course.

Quick Reply: My LA Auto Show 992 Impressions - A Different View