Sponsored by:

My LA Auto Show 992 Impressions - A Different View

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 01:10 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Do you really consider all of those serious comparable substitutes to a 911? In other words, you would cross shop a 911 with a G wagon? Really?

I think the only comparable in that list (for a new car) would be the AMG GT. But there are lots of front engine RWD cars. Rear engine RWD? One. Porsche.
In fairness, you didn't ask what other "$150k, rear engine, RWD cars" you would consider.

If I'm spending $150,000 I'll consider any number of vehicles and then make the choice.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:27 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14

Yup. A bright red interior on a convertible, mixed with a personalized license plate. Totally incognito 🙄
Exactly
Old 12-05-2018, 01:29 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
I would be the first to agree that the 911 leans more toward daily driving and comfort than being a "pure" sports car. ..
Really? Ever since when? Arguably 991, however, how about older gens? I guess it depends on where in the lineup you started driving one
Old 12-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
For a DD, the following just off the top of my head without thinking about it much:

New AMG S 63

New AMG GT

New SL63

New G63

Bentley GT - CPO

Ferrari California - CPO
What's with all the Mercedes non-sense. Total old man's mobile and I am getting close at 51 . . .

I can pretty much drive and spend as much time as I want in a Bentley GT and a better Ferrari, but I would throw a Rapide, Maserati GT convertible and DEFINITEL the new Aston Martin Vantage.

I really like my DB11 and have been toying the idea of picking up a Rapide The new Vantage, however, is amazing and a Porsche killer in my opinion. I am a Ferrari guy and Porsche guy through and through, but the Aston Martins are a step up if looking for a DD and a bit of exclusivity. The engines and interiors are amazing.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:15 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 540 Posts

The Astons make sense, but still an older demographic...... maybe a C63 AMG or Audi R8 or S8 for DD as the 991 and 992 non GT cars are just that...

Maseratis sound great but the depreciation is a monster on those ca worse than AMG....

i guess the GT Porsches are the best against depreciation but DD them is a challenge for some of us...
Old 12-05-2018, 11:01 AM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles
If Porsche used that as their official explanation for doing this, that would be hilarious. and sad.
Porsche has done this for years. My favorite-this is from memory reading one of the Porsche books so I may get some of this wrong- is that the first gear in the 959 is labeled "G" which is the first letter for the german word offroad (G-wagon for Merc) . They did this because 6 speed cars were much more expensive to insure in Germany so they made it so 1st gear didnt count. for testing they proved you could launch the car in '1st' on the street which was mechanically 2nd out of 6 gears but allowed them to position the 959 as a 5 speed

revisionist history says this was because they intended to race the 959 in the several rally series at the time but the book noted that Porsche later admitted the real thinking as above.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:17 PM
basic666
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The new car is starting to grow on me, especially after seeing this set of pics when its on the road
View this post on Instagram

There are still a few minor annoyances like the new interior, but if i were shopping for a new car right now i wouldn't mind it TBH

ugh can never do proper links to instagram on here

Old 12-05-2018, 12:33 PM
Evilfrog
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
The 918 is a hybrid. As a result, the shifter is non-functional much of the time, so it made sense to downsize it and move it out of the way.

The 911 is not a hybrid. As a result, the transmission is a key part of the driver's interaction with the car, whether it's a PDK or a a traditional manual. Your opinion regarding whether the PDK shifter should be used to change gears in manual mode is noted but not universally shared. This, despite your user name.

The 911 might or might not be a hybrid in the future. We pay Porsche for the car that is in our garage today, not for a car that they haven't even built. In general, this car makes an awful lot of compromises to accommodate features that aren't even available yet. The deprecated PDK shifter is only one of those compromises.

The 992 will likely offer a hybrid. The reason for they used that 8 speed PDK in the car is because it has room for an electric motor already.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:02 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Evilfrog
The 992 will likely offer a hybrid. The reason for they used that 8 speed PDK in the car is because it has room for an electric motor already.
Sure, it's well understood that they are developing a hybrid 911, even though a model has not been formally announced. They have been trying to make it work since the 991 generation.

But what good does that do me, as a 992.1 customer? Bigger car, more weight, a useless 8th gear, possibly worse rear visibility as well depending on how much additional vertical space had to be reserved for package protection. And a largely-nonfunctional nubbin instead of a shifter. No upside.

The 918... now that had some upside.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:47 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Really? Ever since when? Arguably 991, however, how about older gens? I guess it depends on where in the lineup you started driving one
I was definitely talking about the 991, and not in a negative way. My first 911 was a brand new Guards Red 1987 Targa. We paid $47,000 for it. We had a 1985 1/2 944 but always wanted a 911. I ordered the 911 without telling my wife, and when it arrived I told my wife we should take a ride to the Porsche dealership just to see what they had. There it was, sitting in the showroom with a big red bow on it. My wife said "That's a beautiful car. I wonder who it was gift wrapped for." I said, "It's yours." Very happy wife, very happy life. The car became her daily driver and my weekend car. She'd strap the car seat into the passenger side and drive around with our newborn daughter. Would I trade my 991 for that car as a daily driver? No way! Did I love that car in its day? Absolutely!
Old 12-05-2018, 08:55 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14

Yup. A bright red interior on a convertible, mixed with a personalized license plate. Totally incognito 🙄
I guess you're right. It IS a bit flashy. But it's fun.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:33 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by abiazis
The Astons make sense, but still an older demographic...... maybe a C63 AMG or Audi R8 or S8 for DD as the 991 and 992 non GT cars are just that...

Maseratis sound great but the depreciation is a monster on those ca worse than AMG....

i guess the GT Porsches are the best against depreciation but DD them is a challenge for some of us...

Let me preface the below by saying I have a 991.2 Turbo Cab, especially when saying the new Vantage is a better car than the 911.

DB11s are definitely 40ish crowd . . . My wife is finance manager at Aston Martin, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Maserati . . . dealership. Most that purchase DB11s from her are around my age including bud Dave Mustaine who purchased the one I wanted.

I think the Vanquishes tend to be driven by 50 somethings due to the price of entry and most 30 somethings would rather have an Aventador, 488, McLaren and etc. for the price.

Seriously, the new Vantage is a Porsche killer and I am a Porsche guy through and through. Aston Martin engines are made by Mercedes AMG, but Aston Martin puts their own specially tuned exhaust systems on them. Check out the new Vantage though. Much better than a 911 in looks, finishes and sound. Performance is respectable 3.4 to 60 and 11.4 1/4 according to C&D instrumented tested.

My DB11 is the 12, but the new ones with the 8s are a blast to drive. The 8 cylinder trimmed something like 200 pounds off the front. The engine tone, the leather work, the look and then crank up the Bang and Olufsen for a change of sound . . . The car is the complete package.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:52 AM
Christian S.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Let me preface the below by saying I have a 991.2 Turbo Cab, especially when saying the new Vantage is a better car than the 911.

Seriously, the new Vantage is a Porsche killer and I am a Porsche guy through and through.
For me the new Vantage is bigger and uglier.... which sounds familiar...

It's also more a Turbo competitor. Aston Martin isn't offering anything in the more standard 911 model price range.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:53 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Christian S.
For me the new Vantage is bigger and uglier.... which sounds familiar...

It's also more a Turbo competitor. Aston Martin isn't offering anything in the more standard 911 model price range.
Lol, uglier is one word does not come to mind with any Aston Martin. You can get them in the $165k to $175k range if you option it smartly. Base models are better appointed than well optioned 911s. I think the weight is around 3,300 pounds, but come on . . . most on here purchasing these cars cannot even drive 7/10s so weight is really a non issue. Handling and feel is more predicated on a car is set up than a few hundred pounds. Heavier modern cars feel more racy and nimble than old air cooled 911s which I really don't even find that enjoyable anymore.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:02 AM
Christian S.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Lol, uglier is one word does not come to mind with any Aston Martin. You can get them in the $165k to $175k range if you option it smartly. Base models are better appointed than well optioned 911s.
Sorry, but I find the previous incarnation far prettier. The front end of the new one just doesn't work for me, and the side view proportions don't work either.

Here in the UK it's £120K for the base. A competitor perhaps for 992 GTS models in the future?

I genuinely hope it's a success for them. It's just a great pity they don't have anything for sale in the £80-£100K range.

Quick Reply: My LA Auto Show 992 Impressions - A Different View