My LA Auto Show 992 Impressions - A Different View - Page 4 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 992
Reload this Page >

My LA Auto Show 992 Impressions - A Different View

Notices
992 This Forum for the turbocharged non Turbo 911

My LA Auto Show 992 Impressions - A Different View

Old 12-04-2018, 11:08 PM
OHWHATDA
User

Originally Posted by porscherex View Post
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...2367a93b4.jpeg

Does the back seat have cup holders? See the pull down door in this picture.
Also, I noticed in another photo that the lever to fold the front seat forward has been replaced with a pull strap. Any photos of this?
I had assumed that was a speaker but thatís a very interesting notch on the top. Unfortunately I couldnít get inside so no close ups of the seats or their straps.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:57 PM
ipse dixit
Super User

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig View Post
if we talking Porsche, then 991 CPOd TTS, or perhaps CPOd GT3T couple of years down the road. If we talking other marquees, then couple of BMWs M2Competition cars
No, I'm talking new.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:06 AM
tgcrun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Regarding the "fake" exhaust tips: So, a decorative piece of metal that's larger than the actual exhaust pipe and is attached to said pipe is "real", but the same piece of decorative metal that performs the same function but isn't attached is "fake". My question is, if a person glues his toupee to his head does it then becomes his real hair?
Old 12-05-2018, 12:21 AM
Papa Fittig
User

Originally Posted by ipse dixit View Post
No, I'm talking new.
Then like abiazis said you got choices with Merc.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:27 AM
tgcrun
Addict
Rennlist Member

For a DD, the following just off the top of my head without thinking about it much:

New AMG S 63 - Are you kidding me? Huge 4 door sedan. Why would I ever want to replace a 911 with that thing.

New AMG GT - If you think the 992 is ugly and overweight, this car is even worse.

New SL63 - Ditto

New G63 - SUV vs 911? I don't think so.

Bentley GT - CPO - Way too flashy and it's used. Another overweight, odd looking car.

Ferrari California - CPO - Even flashier. Also used.

And the main reason I'd never choose any of these cars over a new 992: No manual transmission available.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:34 AM
Papa Fittig
User

Originally Posted by tgcrun View Post
For a DD, the following just off the top of my head without thinking about it much:

New AMG S 63 - Are you kidding me? Huge 4 door sedan. Why would I ever want to replace a 911 with that thing.

New AMG GT - If you think the 992 is ugly and overweight, this car is even worse.

New SL63 - Ditto

New G63 - SUV vs 911? I don't think so.

Bentley GT - CPO - Way too flashy and it's used. Another overweight, odd looking car.

Ferrari California - CPO - Even flashier. Also used.

And the main reason I'd never choose any of these cars over a new 992: No manual transmission available.
The sad part is that you are correct. We started looking at 4-doors sedans and SUVs vs 992. It is telling, isn't it?
Old 12-05-2018, 12:37 AM
Papa Fittig
User

Regarding the "fake" exhaust tips: So, a decorative piece of metal that's larger than the actual exhaust pipe and is attached to said pipe is "real", but the same piece of decorative metal that performs the same function but isn't attached is "fake". My question is, if a person glues his toupee to his head does it then becomes his real hair?
Yes it is fake. We all know what fake is. Former might have been fake wrt to it's diameter, but not it's function, the latter is.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:50 AM
abiazis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
The sad part is that you are correct. We started looking at 4-doors sedans and SUVs vs 992. It is telling, isn't it?
Exactly......911 is a GT or DD like the others.....
Old 12-05-2018, 12:59 AM
abiazis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abiazis

New AMG S 63

New AMG GT

New SL63

New G63

Bentley GT - CPO

Ferrari California - CPO
I was thinking 2 door coupe on S63 which is a nice car all around...

Maybe a ZR1 Vette...for the money...probably save 20k..
Old 12-05-2018, 01:41 AM
tgcrun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not to me.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:44 AM
tgcrun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes it is fake. We all know what fake is. Former might have been fake wrt to it's diameter, but not it's function, the latter is.
I would contend that it performs the exact same function. It's a decorative piece of metal that directs the exhaust to the rear of the car.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:56 AM
tgcrun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abiazis View Post
Exactly......911 is a GT or DD like the others.....
I would be the first to agree that the 911 leans more toward daily driving and comfort than being a "pure" sports car. That, and the fact that it's well built, performs amazingly well, is reasonably priced, and doesn't scream "Look at me!" are the reasons I own one now and will continue to own one in the future.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:01 AM
Benedict14
Addict
Rennlist Member

if we talking Porsche, then 991 CPOd TTS, or perhaps CPOd GT3T couple of years down the road. If we talking other marquees, then couple of BMWs M2Competition cars
Meh. I would ignore Ipse Dixits commentary. He’s either a Porsche car salesman or P.R. They both lurk here. He and ‘Chicago Whale’ have the same MO. A classic mixture of snide commentary and Kool Aid. Look at the post history - Snark and Kool Aid. Rinse, repeat. Over 6000 times.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:01 AM
ipse dixit
Super User

Originally Posted by ipse dixit View Post
Ok, I'll play.

What would you rather have for 150K?
Originally Posted by abiazis View Post

New AMG S 63

New AMG GT

New SL63

New G63

Bentley GT - CPO

Ferrari California - CPO
Do you really consider all of those serious comparable substitutes to a 911? In other words, you would cross shop a 911 with a G wagon? Really?

I think the only comparable in that list (for a new car) would be the AMG GT. But there are lots of front engine RWD cars. Rear engine RWD? One. Porsche.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:05 AM
Benedict14
Addict
Rennlist Member

and doesn't scream "Look at me!" are the reasons I own one now and will continue to own one in the future.
Yup. A bright red interior on a convertible, mixed with a personalized license plate. Totally incognito 🙄

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: