Sponsored by:

My LA Auto Show Review of 992: Less than Meh

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 02:07 PM
bosco42
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UDPride
I for one love the revisions and changes done to the 992. I say "its about time". Finally an interior with a decent modern infotainment screen thats on par with the competition. The shifter ****? THANK GOD. This is the best part of the entire interior. You use that stupid shifter in a PDK for about 2 seconds on every 15 minute to 4 hour drive -- to put the damn car in gear and go. After that you never touch the thing. There's no reason something used so sparingly should take up any more space than it needs to. You have paddles -- use them. Big center console shift gates for automatic cars are a huge waste of space and just get in the way of using center consoles anyway where you have to contort your hands to find buttons. Finally Porsche let common sense prevail and ditched the pointless thing. Really digging the new interior color choices. I like the overall layout of the dash. Very clean horizontal lines. I cant believe people are actually complaining about the layout and buttons and ergonomics. Ever driven a G series 911? I have buttons on the dash I CANT EVEN SEE. You have to FEEL FOR THEM in the most ridiculous places one would ever even consider putting switches. Its so absurd is a mockery of design. I can deal with smudge prints on the 992 layout by comparison as its far more forgivable.
Speak for yourself bud.
Personally, on my Targa 4GTS I always use the center shifter in manual mode because in automatic mode it shifts too soon and finding the mini-paddles that the car is equipped with is a joke.
Put some realistically sized paddles on the car like I have on my 488 and program the ECU to shift at the proper RPM's and then we can talk.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:13 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by bosco42
Speak for yourself bud.
Personally, on my Targa 4GTS I always use the center shifter in manual mode because in automatic mode it shifts too soon and finding the mini-paddles that the car is equipped with is a joke.
Put some realistically sized paddles on the car like I have on my 488 and program the ECU to shift at the proper RPM's and then we can talk.
Bingo,....in non-sport the auto is ridiculous,...in sport it is better but not much fun either,.....and then their is sport+ which is a bit overkill most of the time.

That's why I use manual all the time,....and the standard paddles are a joke,.....and the shifter rules for my enjoyment.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:14 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
What's fru fru?
https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...term=Fru%20Fru
Old 12-02-2018, 02:29 PM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 06C2s
And for those that have missed it, they now offer “wood” grain option on the dashboard, welcome to Buick
Porsche has offered at least one type of wood grain since the 996; this is the first time I remember a press car featuring wood.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:36 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 682 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
From what I can see,....the list of non-buyers (and waiters) vastly out weigh the buyers at this point. Will some turn, absolutely,....but it surely will not be en mass, far from it.
The car is a little too much on the fru-fru side for a lot of buyers now.
Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Not.

Ok well feel free to pass along your MSRP GT allocations my way because you are all full of it. Most in this thread will be happy to buy. Happens every new release.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:50 PM
DY369
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

It’s not about bashing or hating. It’s about being disappointed. Disappointed at how good it could
have been. Yes these same “haters” will become purchasers. We are mostly captive. We have few other choices so we cave and purchase.

I personally think the peole responsible for designing and signing off on the rear should be demoted, but what do I know? An extremely high placed friend in Wolfsburg text me “The new 911 looks dope”. He is in his 20’s, I am in my 50’s. He wasn’t even alive when I started my Porsche obsession (1980’s) but his generation is soon going to be in charge.

That’s reality. To stay in the brand I am going to have to get comfortable with the direction the kids are taking the designs.

Still....please get rid of that afterthought blob of a brake light in the 992.2! Are you listening Herr Blume?
Old 12-02-2018, 02:50 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Agree with Porsche911GTS16

I hate the new 992 design and will skipping the entire generation, GT cars included.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:09 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt

Ok well feel free to pass along your MSRP GT allocations my way because you are all full of it. Most in this thread will be happy to buy. Happens every new release.
Now that you mention it, I do have a GT3T allocation. It's going into production on 12/22. Thanks for the brilliant recommendation.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:47 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Now that you mention it, I do have a GT3T allocation. It's going into production on 12/22. Thanks for the brilliant recommendation.
Congrats on GT3T! That one will be forever a prove that Porsche indeed is an enthusiast focused company.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:54 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Congrats on GT3T! That one will be forever a prove that Porsche indeed is an enthusiast focused company.
Thanks Papa F - I totally agree. And based on my exposure to AP in press clippings and videos, I am confident that he is going to do his absolute best to make sure the 992 GT3 is an amazing vehicle, even though his cohorts in the Carrera division have given him a less than stellar platform with which to work.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:00 PM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't stand the presence of shiny black plastic in an interior especially on a center counsel area where it will reflect into your eyes, get scratched and look terrible in a year. Really bad decision. Other than that I am ok with the interior but confused by what is being accomplished by the gear shifter design. I suppose their research shows most use the paddles or allow the car to automatically shift.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:15 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by shewu
Porsche has offered at least one type of wood grain since the 996; this is the first time I remember a press car featuring wood.
1963 had wood. 993 had wood as an option. Not sure about G body or 964.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:37 PM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by 06C2s
just there this morning for the PCA event and totally uninspiring car. as my 20 year old son put it, a old man GT car. The 911 is no longer a sports car in my eyes due to all the things listed above especially the dash design and that nub is beyond bad.

After my 996 C1 and 997 tt, I thought my 991 was an old guy GT car. I’m going to test drive a boxster and there’s a 37k 993 up the coast...
Old 12-02-2018, 05:08 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Received 608 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Bingo,....in non-sport the auto is ridiculous,...in sport it is better but not much fun either,.....and then their is sport+ which is a bit overkill most of the time.

That's why I use manual all the time,....and the standard paddles are a joke,.....and the shifter rules for my enjoyment.
Are you guys not keeping your hands at 9 and 3 when using paddles? When I drove PDK on the track I found it perfect and never had to hunt for paddles. I guess driving it in the streets with your hand hanging on top of the steering wheel, you'd want an extra long paddle. I love the PDK paddles. Perfect for the track.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:47 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 992 Review

II attended the press launch and LA auto show viewing off the 992-911...

I was a bit disappointed by the evolution of the exterior of the 992—primarily the front clip——way too much Aston Martin Vantage influence in the nose section...and the angles and hard edges have lamborghini style writtten all over it....and lastly...the car looks like a panamerra sedan....great for the sedan but nothing the 911 should aspire to do....the shifter looks really bad and out of place...my wife liked the car but did not love it...same for me....I’m not saying I wont eventually purchase one but this design , while not the disasterous 996 evolution...isn’t the home run I was hoping for....car looks much bigger than current 911....more presence I guess...but I really enjoy the smaller athletic looking 911 iterations....I wouldn’t fire the design team but I wouldn’t be paying them a bonus either...lol

Cheers

Quick Reply: My LA Auto Show Review of 992: Less than Meh