Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My LA Auto Show Review of 992: Less than Meh

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 09:05 PM
haen
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

I was also at today's PCA breakfast viewing.

I said this in another forum but I think the 992 has become a caricature of the original 911. It's a 911 in terms of layout and aesthetics but not much else. The car is a victim of its own success, as is common with many successful sports car (M3) and products. The expectation of continued/exponential sales growth means an ever-increasing and broad target audience.

So what is the 911? A very fast and comfortable GT. If you only have one car, it's a great compromise but if you have a 2+ car garage, I'm not sure it would be at the top of the list. It is entirely dependent on your use case.

Here are my non-driving impressions. The styling is subjective so I'll spare everyone my thoughts.

Positives
1. The fabric inserts on some of the seats are nice. Leather is overrated. It's hot when you're hot and cold when you're cold. I don't think it wears well either.

Negatives
1. WIDE. The car will feel cramped on back roads.
2. Shiny black plastic on transmission tunnel. I saw this shiny stuff on many different manufacturers' cars. It collects fingerprints and scratches easily. Matte/flat black plastic (used in the 991) would have been a better choice.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:11 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
That console is going to go down in history next to the fried-egg headlights. It's a classic "HR failure," meaning HR f***ed up by hiring whoever designed it.

It'll be easy for them to overhaul it for 992.2, though. That will be the model to watch and wait for. All of the elements are in place to build a great 911, they just aren't all ready for prime time.
I agree with this, but I'd add I feel this is the next 996 particularly in relation to the rear of the car. It has the X-Men Scott Summers light bar.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:32 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
16. Cupholder positioned where it will be hard to use with MT.
Wow this is an excellent point!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2018, 01:39 AM
SeymourButts
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by natman316
What are the diamond 1 and diamond 2 toggle switches?

Drive mode selector does look cheap, it doesnt even light up anymore! Looks like a generic volume **** on a cheap car.
Those look like programmable buttons.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:58 AM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Went to see it today in LA. Still trying to get my head around the front and rear. The front appears inconguously angular.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:02 AM
RoWa
Instructor

The rear bumper too big top to bottom

Last edited by RoWa; 12-01-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:07 AM
FactoryMatt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
This is arguably the least cohesive 911 ever. It does not flow. It looks like a compartmentalized design (especially the interior, the center console is just plain horrible) with no continuity. The rear (especially with the hideous deployed clam shell spoiler) is hideous. It's official, cars are dead. There is nothing on the market that appeals to me anymore.
other than the oversized center screen, the miata still has it. so there's that. gotta respect them for staying true.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:10 AM
RoWa
Instructor

It was maybe the light, but the blue looked the best of the bunch as the color seemed to mask some of the issues that i had with the yellow and silver cars

Last edited by RoWa; 12-01-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:15 AM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 414 Posts

Still one of the best looking cars.
But center "black" console will be fingers print magnet...
Old 12-01-2018, 02:16 AM
RoWa
Instructor

Old 12-01-2018, 02:21 AM
RoWa
Instructor

Couple of pics for our detailer/ppf friends to noodle on

Old 12-01-2018, 03:04 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Do they not let you sit in the car at the auto show ? I’m not going to bother looking at it if I can’t sit in the car.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:25 AM
RoWa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Drifting
Do they not let you sit in the car at the auto show ? I’m not going to bother looking at it if I can’t sit in the car.
nope
Old 12-01-2018, 03:44 AM
06C2s
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If you went with PCA you could sit inside all
Old 12-01-2018, 04:00 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I for one love the revisions and changes done to the 992. I say "its about time". Finally an interior with a decent modern infotainment screen thats on par with the competition. The shifter ****? THANK GOD. This is the best part of the entire interior. You use that stupid shifter in a PDK for about 2 seconds on every 15 minute to 4 hour drive -- to put the damn car in gear and go. After that you never touch the thing. There's no reason something used so sparingly should take up any more space than it needs to. You have paddles -- use them. Big center console shift gates for automatic cars are a huge waste of space and just get in the way of using center consoles anyway where you have to contort your hands to find buttons. Finally Porsche let common sense prevail and ditched the pointless thing. Really digging the new interior color choices. I like the overall layout of the dash. Very clean horizontal lines. I cant believe people are actually complaining about the layout and buttons and ergonomics. Ever driven a G series 911? I have buttons on the dash I CANT EVEN SEE. You have to FEEL FOR THEM in the most ridiculous places one would ever even consider putting switches. Its so absurd is a mockery of design. I can deal with smudge prints on the 992 layout by comparison as its far more forgivable.

Love the improvements on the outside as well. The iexterior was cleaned up every nicely. The hood looks about 10x better and goes well with the wider front fender arches. Same with the rear. Cleaned up the lines again and ditched some unnecessary panel lines and creases that didnt need to be there. My ONLY complaint on the back end is the Sport Exhaust cars should get quad tailpipes while regular cars should get the twin tailpipes. No reason the more muscular looking exhaust should be the wimpier of the two. Its totally backwards.

Overall I think this is Porsche's best effort inside and out since the 993 and its not even close. This is a 911. Its not a damn Ferrari. Its been designed for 50+ years to be the one car you'll ever need to do everything. From going to work, going to the supermarket, hauling kids, going on a driving vacation, to going to the track. In 1964 everything you needed to do was different than 2019. All Porsche is doing is changing with changing times. The 911 DNA is all about that. In 2048 the 911 will do the same thing and Im sure it will be a very different but similar car and be just as bad-***. Its a car that needs to be able to do just about everything you'd ever want -- it does and it will whether you're a Piloti-wearing snob or just a mother who loves the 911 as a daily driver to get her honey-do list completed. Its a car that can be whatever you want it to be.

I'll take my 992 in Gentian Blue Metallic with Bordeaux Red leather please.

Quick Reply: My LA Auto Show Review of 992: Less than Meh