Sponsored by:

Don't hate me...I'm loving the 992 design

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 01:51 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Don't hate me...I'm loving the 992 design

The 991 never did it for me. It felt a bit emasculated like the first gen 996. But I must admit I just found myself lusting for the new 992.

What I like:

- I love the aggressive rear wheel arches. It gives it the muscular proportions of a 997 GTS and/or 991 GT2
- The rear bumper reminds me of the 991 GT2
- I like the rear lights and the fact the C2S and C4S have the same body style.
- I love the little Porsche logo in the headlight. Small but classy detail.

What I dislike:

- My first reaction was it stole the frontend of the Macan and rear of the Panamera.
- Seriously, what were they thinking with the PDK lever?? This isn't a Prius!
- I really dont like the new dashboard and LCD layout. I know they are tryin to reference the classic horizontal 911 dash but it doesn't work. The 997 and 991 have strong vertical lines from the center console that make it feel like a cockpit. The 992 interior feels like an SUV of pickup truck.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:19 AM
nick2413
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Great points above. The stance is pretty impressive as it's lower; those 20/21 inch wheels also look fantastic. I like that the wing had two different lengths of extension depending on speed. The Porsche 992 promo video shows the quad sports exhaust which looks much better than the GT2 RS style pipes IMO. From what I've seen, having to change driving modes via the dashboard (if you don't have sports chrono) seems a little crazy, oh and the price, 4s starts @ $120k!

If anyone is interested Carfection always gives enough info for me:

Old 11-29-2018, 02:22 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

I think it's evolutionary, kind of gives the 911 a more modern look and feel. I don't think it's better or worse than previous models, just a little different. I do not like bigger wheels; 19" was more than enough.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:40 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I pulled up against one today at a stop light. Not gonna lie, its butt looked great, so I showed him mine when I pulled away. He flicked his headlights before taking a left. It was nice to be a juvenile again for a few moments.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:55 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

It basically looks like a slightly bigger 991 in its overall appearance to me. I don't love it or hate it, it's just OK.

I do like the wider rear hips and the hood crease styling nod to the old air-cooled 911s. Not a fan of front bumper mouth.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:30 AM
adnan76
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Love it- especially the front flares!
Old 11-29-2018, 07:48 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by adnan76
Love it- especially the front flares!

Old 11-29-2018, 07:52 AM
bloomjbmw
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
The 991 never did it for me. It felt a bit emasculated like the first gen 996. But I must admit I just found myself lusting for the new 992.

What I like:

- I love the aggressive rear wheel arches. It gives it the muscular proportions of a 997 GTS and/or 991 GT2
- The rear bumper reminds me of the 991 GT2
- I like the rear lights and the fact the C2S and C4S have the same body style.
- I love the little Porsche logo in the headlight. Small but classy detail.

What I dislike:

- My first reaction was it stole the frontend of the Macan and rear of the Panamera.
- Seriously, what were they thinking with the PDK lever?? This isn't a Prius!
- I really dont like the new dashboard and LCD layout. I know they are tryin to reference the classic horizontal 911 dash but it doesn't work. The 997 and 991 have strong vertical lines from the center console that make it feel like a cockpit. The 992 interior feels like an SUV of pickup truck.
I agree - after reading the press release last night I realized that this iteration does it for me. The 991 doesn’t get me excited at all, for some reason. The only issue I have with the 992 (based on a few pictures I’ve seen) is the front intake area’s look. Otherwise I think Porsche really nailed the design. I like the pop-out handles, the dash design, the body curvature, etc. Unfortunately any of them with an NA motor will likely be out of range for me new or used; even a “base” car would be a far reach anytime soon.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:16 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

I am a bit torn, definitely like the wider hips as standard for all models. Love the creased hood and increased 450hp, door handles, mirrors, wider front flares and track. The massive wheels with new spoke design are impressive, but borderline too big in the rears. I felt that way about the 21 inch wheels on the 991 GT3/GT2 cars as well. Just my opinion. Those 21 inchers can look a bit like a cartoon caricature from certain angles. I like the nod and tribute in front fender design to the 964 as far as how it surrounds the headlight and meets the front bumper in a straight line. I always felt the 997 design was a nod and a tribute to the love for the 993 design. In the same way I feel the 992 is a tribute to a lot of the 964 design cues. As some one said, even some of the interior dash designs can be seen as a futuristic view of the old 964 interiors. I just find all those screens and gadgets distracting at the end of the day. Even on my 958 Cayenne S the first week of ownership was distracting with all the customization on the dash. Once I had it set, I never messed with it. Hardly ever use any of the gadgets in the dash.

Although I mentioned I like the front fender wings tribute to 964, I am disappointed in the softened height of the arches on the fenders where they meet the hood. Especially when you consider the arches on the 964. Now they remind me a lot of the 996 soft arch. Those arches have just seemed to melt away and I think it takes away from the classic 911 look out the front window where you expect to see those arches clearly.
As far as the rear... way too much black plastic for me around the exhaust and tail lights. I guess I feel that way a bit about the black plastic front mouth opening as well. The design I probably least like is the way the rear wing cuts into the rear hips. Although offering greater aerodynamics and new functions, it just destroys the 3/4 view of the rear arches when open. As well as the view from directly behind. It hides the view of the hips from directly behind when full attack open.. the design looks incomplete when open, especially seeing the metal stampings exposed and underneath the wing area is just dull to me. I felt that way a bit about the 991 rear wing. Just nothing exciting or special to look at when wing is up.They really missed out on doing something cool under that wing, even if they had some bits painted exterior color to break up all the black plastic parts and make it feel more like a solid wing like a Turbo wing or something. Even the Panamera Turbo design wing would have been way cooler the way it pops up, splits in two, and extends out over the rear arches. That would have been cool to see.

I am sure it's going to kick *** and sell like hot cakes for Porsche, which means more great cars to look forward to and Porsche Brand pride for us. For those reasons alone I look forward to seeing what this baby can do. Going to check it out this weekend at LA Autoshow.

Last edited by qikqbn; 11-29-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:04 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,755 Likes on 4,298 Posts

Nope.

They're getting further and further away from the best looking water cooled 911 generation, which was the 997.

The 991 got too big and bulbous and this 992 is even worse (wider and longer). The sports car 911 is officially dead - welcome to the Panamera GT Coupe.

None of the lines work together. The full width large black opening on the front looks like they forgot to install the rest of the bumper or the grills for the bumper. I saw a 2019 Cayenne Turbo from GA on the road yesterday in PA with the same front end grill treatment, so that's the new design language - yuck. Looks like King Kong could pick it up and shave with it, providing he could fit it in his hand. I'm sure it's so they only have to make one color grill, unless you want to pay $1,000 more for body color...

The rear is even worse - full width light slits that are way too skinny. And on any performance car, opening the hood or engine lid should make visible the soul of the beast, not a bunch of plastic and some fans.

I haven't seen all the angles of it either, but in the Mark Webber video (which was a bit embarrasing since they clearly told him what he should be saying) it looks like there are creases at the top line of the front fenders. God I hope not as the complex, organic shape of the 911 front and rear fenders is as much a part of the car as the number 911 is, but with the angled lines of the side mirrors, it wouldn't surprise me if the did crease the top line of the ,fender to try and tie the angles together.

Sorry Porsche, I likely own the 2 newest 911s I ever will. Hope a bunch of people need to "keep up with the Joneses" to keep a solid supply of the 2011 and older versions for me to choose from.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:24 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 210 Likes on 142 Posts

Two words; Larger, Heavier. Even larger and heavier than the generation (991.2) that preceded it. No thanks.
I couldn't give a toss about the looks of it, but larger and heavier is a non starter, regardless of performance. I'm open to giving 991.2 a try, as I'd really like a RWD turbo 911, otherwise I will end up adding another 911 in the future from the previous eras.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:39 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Looks pretty cool. Will be nice to drive one. Those worried about 110 pounds, can you really, sincerely tell a difference on the public street. No, its all mental and the newer heavier models continue to get quicker, better behaved and more neutral on a track. Does your 997 go from agile 911 to a bloated beast every time you fill it up with gas . . .
Old 11-29-2018, 10:25 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,755 Likes on 4,298 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Looks pretty cool. Will be nice to drive one. Those worried about 110 pounds, can you really, sincerely tell a difference on the public street. No, its all mental and the newer heavier models continue to get quicker, better behaved and more neutral on a track. Does your 997 go from agile 911 to a bloated beast every time you fill it up with gas . . .
The 992 has a curb weight of 3,382 lb (https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/9...s/911-carrera/)
compared to my C2S at 3,124 lbs, so that's 258 lbs, not 110. Maybe it's 110 more than the bloated 991, but not compared to my 997. That's like carrying an extra passenger all the time, that is until you actually add the extra passenger. They're not going to make up for that difference in power either, as my car is still 40 HP higher than this newest 992 (443 HP), so I have a 250 lb and 40 HP advantage over the new car without all the silly tech and screens. Thanks, but I'll keep what I've got. Maybe they'll bring some Mercedes folks over to the brand with the new car though.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:59 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
... Thanks, but I'll keep what I've got. Maybe they'll bring some Mercedes folks over to the brand with the new car though.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:36 PM
d_2
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whether you're a Jalopnik fan or not... still a quick read w/ pics.
https://jalopnik.com/here-s-how-the-...e-o-1830719042

Quick Reply: Don't hate me...I'm loving the 992 design