Shaver Knob

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 10:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,069 Likes on 5,253 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
good for you but I still prefer a ***** to hold.
Originally Posted by K-A

True. A ***** is far more ergonomic than a teeny pecker razor.
Is this from personal experience?
Old 12-19-2018, 03:56 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Is this from personal experience?
Considering I’m solely blessed with the former yet not the latter, mostly yes.

However, ask any gay man or straight woman and you can bet that itty bitty thumbtack shifter they’ll concur.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:08 PM
F80-911
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a fan. Something about the shifter design seems out of place when viewed against the overall design. However, I’m sure I’ll get used to it as often do.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:18 PM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow this post is still going strong. I think they will have a $500 option to replace the shaver **** and everyone will order it.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:07 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
wow this post is still going strong. I think they will have a $500 option to replace the shaver **** and everyone will order it.
A $2000 option for those who don't want to pinch the roach to actuate their shifter.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:31 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,442 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Me, and anyone who regularly drives spiritedly. Nevermind the more visceral feel, but at sharper corners, the center shifter comes in major handy as your hands lose track of, and have to twist over themselves to reach/find the paddles.
Why are you shifting while turning? If you knew what you were doing, you would have gotten your shifts done prior to the turn. If you find that you are shifting when your hands are so crossed up that you can't keep track of the paddles, you need some driving lessons.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:13 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 571 Posts

Plus 1
Old 12-21-2018, 12:44 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Why are you shifting while turning? If you knew what you were doing, you would have gotten your shifts done prior to the turn. If you find that you are shifting when your hands are so crossed up that you can't keep track of the paddles, you need some driving lessons.
You might want to tell that to all the pro racers who herald Ferrari's paddles for the very reason I described. [golf clap]

Having the freedom to do as you like, have options, and correct mistakes goes a long way. I also don't need to redline after every left or right turn from a stop light, so having a center shifter to "short shift" after making said hard lock turn is essential to my enjoyment and control.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:14 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,442 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
You might want to tell that to all the pro racers who herald Ferrari's paddles for the very reason I described. [golf clap]

Having the freedom to do as you like, have options, and correct mistakes goes a long way. I also don't need to redline after every left or right turn from a stop light, so having a center shifter to "short shift" after making said hard lock turn is essential to my enjoyment and control.
And the shifter paddles on F1 cars are where again???? If the "pro racers" loved the paddles on the column so much, you'd think they'd want that done on their F1 cars. Not to mention, thats not even the point. I don't think any racer will suggest to you that mid corner, with your arms crossed up, that you remove a hand from the steering wheel and slap the center console shifter around. Not only does that have the potential to upset the car, then you only have 1 hand on the wheel to potentially correct. Just poor form.

so let me get this right. When you are making easy left and right hand turns from a stop light, you get so confused about which shift paddle is which, that you must use the center console shifter? Thereby again removing a hand from the wheel, which somehow improves control? If this process is so confusing for you, perhaps it might be safer to just leave it in auto mode. Oh, but I forgot, you want to pretend you have an actual manual transmission, so you have to fiddle around with the joystick.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:27 AM
K-A
Drifting

And the shifter paddles on F1 cars are where again???? If the "pro racers" loved the paddles on the column so much, you'd think they'd want that done on their F1 cars. Not to mention, thats not even the point. I don't think any racer will suggest to you that mid corner, with your arms crossed up, that you remove a hand from the steering wheel and slap the center console shifter around. Not only does that have the potential to upset the car, then you only have 1 hand on the wheel to potentially correct. Just poor form.

so let me get this right. When you are making easy left and right hand turns from a stop light, you get so confused about which shift paddle is which, that you must use the center console shifter? Thereby again removing a hand from the wheel, which somehow improves control? If this process is so confusing for you, perhaps it might be safer to just leave it in auto mode. Oh, but I forgot, you want to pretend you have an actual manual transmission, so you have to fiddle around with the joystick.
Yeah, actually fiddling with the joy stick does give a nice tactile sensation that provides a small semblance of manual shifting. It’s pretty cool to have that option. Having two options sure beats being stuck with just one. After all, having fun and getting a heightened sensory experience in whatever fashion that may arrive in, is what car enthusiasm is all about.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:37 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Yeah, actually fiddling with the joy stick does give a nice tactile sensation that provides a small semblance of manual shifting. It’s pretty cool to have that option. Having two options sure beats being stuck with just one. After all, having fun and getting a heightened sensory experience in whatever fashion that may arrive in, is what car enthusiasm is all about.
If you want the tactile sensation of manual shifting, why not just get the damn manual?

And if you don't want to go to redline off every stop light, take your car out of Sport Plus. The PDK is better than you (or I) will ever be and you paid for it. Why not let it do its thing... especially for in town driving (red lights and all)?
Old 12-21-2018, 03:11 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
If you want the tactile sensation of manual shifting, why not just get the damn manual?

And if you don't want to go to redline off every stop light, take your car out of Sport Plus. The PDK is better than you (or I) will ever be and you paid for it. Why not let it do its thing... especially for in town driving (red lights and all)?

Old 12-22-2018, 11:21 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Shifter paddles are mounted on F1 car steering wheels because there's nowhere else to put them since they need to open up the area to get in and out of the car. Plus the way the steering is set up in an F1 car... they don't actually turn the wheel that much.

On other cars it makes more sense to have the paddles mounted in a fixed position so you know where they are at all times.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh

What about people who want to control the gears sometimes and have auto shifting at other times???
Old 12-23-2018, 09:29 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Crester
What about people who want to control the gears sometimes and have auto shifting at other times???
Paddles.

And stop whining that you don't have a pseudo shifter that moves a half inch forward or backwards to provide you a "tacticle sensation" of shifting sensation.

Quick Reply: Shaver Knob