Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   992 (https://rennlist.com/forums/992-245/)
-   -   Shaver Knob (https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1115285-shaver-knob.html)

gary.lee 11-28-2018 10:28 AM

Shaver Knob

I cant figure out why cant they just use the shifter from Panamera?

Also, need Volcanic Grey.

Agate grey just doesnt do it.

Panamera has better knob and color. Go Figure.

VOLTCONTROL 11-28-2018 12:20 PM

The shaver is a weird one for sure.

I for one love the colours. Very promising greens, blues and silvers.

sechsgang 11-28-2018 12:25 PM

And you cant shift it from there anymore...honestly that was a stupid move. Enough that it would deter me from it for a while unless they come out with the turbo s targa I've always wanted...

zelement 11-28-2018 12:25 PM

Yeah wish they used a similar shifter to the Panamera. It will be weird that you can't shift it from the lever but oh well...

Nugget 11-28-2018 12:34 PM

I wish they'd just removed it entirely. On a PDK car I'm fine with just the paddles.

captainkirk 11-28-2018 12:53 PM

Actually, the real bad design is the electric handbrake button - it is between the dash console and cup holder. Who puts a button which involves braking there.

Shaver is not aesthetically in sync with the car console. This is 100% lets over engineer the design b/c we have to do it cuz our jobs are on the line mentality

skiahh 11-28-2018 01:02 PM

I think the nubbin is a tie in to the 918, nothing more.

Oh, and cheaper than putting an actual knob there that has just 3 positions (R-N-D). Bet there's a nubbin under the Panamera's knob.

Gus_Smedstad 11-28-2018 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Nugget (Post 15460276)
I wish they'd just removed it entirely. On a PDK car I'm fine with just the paddles.

I’m not.

Yes, the paddles make more sense. Yes, PDK is faster at shifting than I ever will be with a manual. But when I was driving a PDK-equipped S, I found that I much preferred manual shifting with the stick to automatic shifting or shifting with the multi-function wheel buttons. It was purely psychological, but it mattered. Granted, I didn’t drive a car with proper paddles, but I just felt slightly more involved with the “let’s pretend it’s a manual” feeling of using the stick.

These days, I’m happier just driving a manual. But if I felt tempted to return to PDK for some reason, lack of manual control via the center selector would be another barrier for me.

Gobbi 11-28-2018 02:01 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ccdcdea16a.jpg

Here a comparison and a reality check. 99% of a 'normal' people will say it's the same interior plus/minus a cosmetic flick, all here are lunatics obsessed with the little unimportant things.

Now more for the topic discussion. I have a very valid conspiracy theory why nubbin is there in the first place but I must be very careful. Let's say it has to do with the biggest market being Asia now and certain regional male attributes of the target group. They were showing cardboard with a different sifter shapes and the nubbin was the most comfortable for the group!

Needsdecaf 11-28-2018 02:53 PM

China is not the biggest market for 911's.

raclaims 11-28-2018 02:56 PM

I actually shift my cars all the time with the lever, reminds me of my 997 cup and I find it way more fun than the paddles...so shame that's gone.

rcristobal 11-28-2018 02:57 PM

Shaver then blow dry my hands on the vents. :(

Crester 11-28-2018 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gobbi (Post 15460516)
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ccdcdea16a.jpg

Here a comparison and a reality check. 99% of a 'normal' people will say it's the same interior plus/minus a cosmetic flick, all here are lunatics obsessed with the little unimportant things.

Now more for the topic discussion. I have a very valid conspiracy theory why nubbin is there in the first place but I must be very careful. Let's say it has to do with the biggest market being Asia now and certain regional male attributes of the target group. They were showing cardboard with a different sifter shapes and the nubbin was the most comfortable for the group!

99% of the general public will say the EXTERIOR is the same... but I think even non-car enthusiasts can tell there is a noticeable difference in the interior. The pics you showed make the interior look very similar... but if you look from the passenger's seat towards the driver's side of the car you can see pretty big differences in the interior layout.

And while there's still a large central tach...the appearance of that is pretty different as well.

arek 11-28-2018 07:13 PM

I hope some third party is already working on bringing the old PDK lever back.

2016 gt3 11-28-2018 07:14 PM

As far as I'am concerned the dash in this car almost looks like a bit of an mis -mash. There is no thought in the genealogy of the interior of the 911's here. The nub or whatever looks like an portable electric shaver and coupled with the cup holder if someone told me this is an new option called the convenience package, I would have believed it, just think you can sip your coffee and shave while on your way to the office. As it stands it looks totally out of place and the right side of the dash looks like an American car from the 1970's who signed off on this, that is what I would like to know.