992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaver Knob

Old 11-28-2018, 07:51 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I've been laughing for the last 10-15 min since I've seen that pimple in the center console. We have to make sure we let new passengers know it has nothing to do with our masculinity.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:26 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,422 Posts

The whole interior revamp fails for me. As an old 997 owner I really appreciated the simplicity of that design, and while it’s dated now esp. around the technology many things just worked. Like the window switches, at least on a RHD car you could raise and lower the drivers window with one flick of your little finger. Hand never needed to leave the wheel. The gear lever was lovely leather that was a very tactile and comfortable place to rest your hand when waiting for traffic. It also got better with use. The console was simple and fitted the character of a 911, as did the dash generally.

All that has gone now. What we have now seems to mimic what BMW and Mercedes also have in their cars. Two digital slabs with a few design elements thrown in below. Sad.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:29 PM
Porsches
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Long long ago, I recall when the Ferrari came out with the same little tiny shifter. That killed it for me.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:09 PM
SockToy
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

My wife doesnt think the 992 interior looks 'that different' to the 997.2 interior on my C4s. So. General public is a little less detail focused than your typical rennlister
Old 11-28-2018, 11:55 PM
poverty spec
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gobbi
The new center tach design looks like it belongs on a Ford Mustang.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:47 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

This is what I have to do. I know we have some HFM in here.

Lets put some right people in the board of VW and change the direction of management.

I want to do what Kenny Powers did the with the company shares!!! I am not kidding.

Last edited by captainkirk; 11-29-2018 at 01:50 AM. Reason: typing error
Old 11-29-2018, 02:49 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

I've sat in a 992 and felt the nubbin in person. It's a complete joke and disaster.

Not surprisingly, since then, I use my shifter to shift most often, as I've increasingly appreciated the feel, more connective feedback (than a nubbin) and ergonomics.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:12 AM
SeymourButts
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobbi
Now more for the topic discussion. I have a very valid conspiracy theory why nubbin is there in the first place but I must be very careful. Let's say it has to do with the biggest market being Asia now and certain regional male attributes of the target group. They were showing cardboard with a different sifter shapes and the nubbin was the most comfortable for the group!
Yeah, what you're saying isn't very cool ... so you're saying if it were an African market, the shifter would be...
Old 11-29-2018, 09:09 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SockToy
My wife doesnt think the 992 interior looks 'that different' to the 997.2 interior on my C4s. So. General public is a little less detail focused than your typical rennlister
I think there are several sets of people to consider here.

1. The general public that will never drive a 911. I don't really care what they think about the interior changes.

2. People who drive a 911 for status reasons. They may not care about the shaver either, but are a concern because they buy cars, and that influences Porsche.

3. People who actually enjoy a 911 for the driving experience. The changes may or may not bug people in this group. I know I sure don't like the shaver. I don't know how I feel about the other console changes, since I haven't sat in one and haven't driven one. I do appreciate the readily accessible front lift button, and I'd be seriously annoyed with needing to go through menus to turn that on.

4. Track monsters. They probably aren't going to care because the paddles are the only controls they use regularly, and they still work.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:13 PM
zelement
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 9 Posts

Change is hard to accept for most. Anyone that thinks the Chinese market has anything to do with the shifter is nuts. Porsche is simply trying to get up to the 21st century on the center console design for a modern day supercar. There is not one single supercar or hypercar that has a shifter from the console. Welcome to the party! Better late than never...
Old 11-29-2018, 06:18 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by SockToy
Exactly right! They are looking for brand new customers outside of the Porsche loyalists to sell more overall cars.......the new 911 design now blends in with the other Porsche models.........also looks like a targeting of new markets with this design not interior and exterior, i.e. rear end lights, i.e. China and Asia where there is more potential sales growth....shifter is beyond understanding for me...........
Old 11-29-2018, 06:53 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the shaver **** looks like my AKG C414 condenser microphone I used to record with. Just weird - Porsche has messed up these things before. Remember the old tiptronic buttons, the steering wheel buttons instead of paddles in the 997/991, the shifter going forward to upshift etc.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:53 AM
sullic
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Maybe they are intentionally trying to drive people to the manual.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:14 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
I think the shaver **** looks like my AKG C414 condenser microphone I used to record with. Just weird - Porsche has messed up these things before. Remember the old tiptronic buttons, the steering wheel buttons instead of paddles in the 997/991, the shifter going forward to upshift etc.

the shifter still goes forward in my 2017 Macan GTS to upshift
i am amazed it is still such a major fail

i usually drive it in automatic mode with sport mode and stiffest suspension setting

yes it is no sports car but it is a great fun modern Porsche practical vehicle (that was for the posters in other threads poopooing any Porsche SUV effort)

back to the 992, the interior is cheap hideous and a major fail and the exterior front and rear are horrible

so much for a planned euro delivery in fall of 2019

i had great hopes for the 992 but my 993 will stay forever
maybe down the line the funds that would’ve gone for a 992 euro delivery can go to a 991.2 GT3 manual, albeit preowned
Old 11-30-2018, 12:25 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sullic
Maybe they are intentionally trying to drive people to the manual.
I've said this a few times. Maybe this is a way to shove the 'manual feel' crowd into actual manuals.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shaver Knob