Sponsored by:

992 at LA Motor Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 08:06 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DKST
I'm curious, what would be your perfect 992 (without mentioning all the things you don't like)?

That would need it's own thread my friend!

Ideally it would be : lighter , smaller, keeping with the rounded design theme and definitely maintaining it's own identity. NA engine , modern yet simple / less luxurious interior ( a tach flanked by two LCD screens that can display everything important all at once and a simple center stack and console that isn't so high and wide). Less road / tire noise. Etc Etc Etc. It's a wish list for the dream world........
Old 11-01-2018, 08:17 PM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen

Ideally it would be : lighter , smaller, keeping with the rounded design theme and definitely maintaining it's own identity. NA engine , modern yet simple / less luxurious interior ( a tach flanked by two LCD screens that can display everything important all at once and a simple center stack and console that isn't so high and wide). Less road / tire noise. Etc Etc Etc. It's a wish list for the dream world........
Yeah...the 992 won't be your car for sure! Sounds like the 991T would suit you better or a Singer Porsche?

Old 11-01-2018, 08:25 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah...the 992 won't be your car for sure! Sounds like the 991T would suit you better or a Singer Porsche?

Nice choices for sure but the T turned me off with un defeatable auto rev matching for the M/T in Sport mode and not enough changes to make it worthy ,I felt , of a true enthusiasts version. They missed the mark by not using a 6 speed with much shorter gearing and by not deleting things like the PASM..... As much as I dislike forced induction I would have jumped the NA ship if they just made that car a little more special under the skin rather than offering a few tacked on bits and marketing hype....

As for the singer.......... Sigh........... I wish........................Sigh

I'm not a total anti tech guy , I just feel it should be completely in the background of the car at not at the forefront like it appears to be in this 992.....
Old 11-01-2018, 10:30 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,301 Likes on 653 Posts

bigger, more luxurious and not meaningfully lighter (assumption) will likely cut down on road/tire noise.... so at least its not a total loss for you
Old 11-02-2018, 01:28 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Nice choices for sure but the T turned me off with un defeatable auto rev matching for the M/T in Sport mode and not enough changes to make it worthy ,I felt , of a true enthusiasts version. They missed the mark by not using a 6 speed with much shorter gearing and by not deleting things like the PASM..... As much as I dislike forced induction I would have jumped the NA ship if they just made that car a little more special under the skin rather than offering a few tacked on bits and marketing hype....

I'm not a total anti tech guy , I just feel it should be completely in the background of the car at not at the forefront like it appears to be in this 992.....
GT3
Old 11-02-2018, 06:06 AM
chris14465
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Porsche Experience Center Los Angeles will be closed on the following days:
Thursday, November 22nd & Friday, November 23rd, 2018 (Thanksgiving)
Tuesday, November 27th & Wedesday, November 28th, 2018 (Private Event)

https://www.porschedriving.com/porsc...er-los-angeles
Old 11-02-2018, 09:40 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

more specific, 996 GT3. A good car is sold in the 60's, great car 70's (maybe 80), an new 992 will be around $130k, so that leaves $50k in customization. 996 GT3 is powerful with 0-60 about 4.0sec, good suspension that can easily be customized for track, terrible stereo but great engine, no traction control, etc. Even remove the wing and make it a GT3 touring.
Well, sounds more like SEMA and Not LA Motor Show.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:17 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 331 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Perhaps they are scrambling to find a way to get rid of the nubbin in the PDK cars before it is too late... Just kidding - sort of...
Well it would be very wise if they did, long shot, but would at least move me one step closer to even looking at one.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:51 PM
DKST
Racer

Originally Posted by chris14465
The Porsche Experience Center Los Angeles will be closed on the following days:
Thursday, November 22nd & Friday, November 23rd, 2018 (Thanksgiving)
Tuesday, November 27th & Wedesday, November 28th, 2018 (Private Event)

https://www.porschedriving.com/porsc...er-los-angeles
Porsche will debut something at LA Autoshow. Either the 992 or the 718 GT4 / Spyder. For either of these cars the Porsche Experience Center will host a private event.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:54 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 151 Posts

Porsche will debut something at LA Autoshow. Either the 992 or the 718 GT4 / Spyder. For either of these cars the Porsche Experience Center will host a private event.
​​​​​​Yup
Old 11-04-2018, 07:42 AM
DKST
Racer

Today's article in Stuttgarter Newspaper mentioned specific details about 992 debut in LA on Nov 27 at Porsche Experience Center.

https://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/i...10a3f6d00.html

Translation:
The new Porsche 911 is warming up for its world premiere in California. The eighth generation of this sports car icon, which has been the face of the brand for decades, is to be unveiled on 27 November at the Porsche Experience Center in Los Angeles, where customers and prospective buyers have been able to test the models of the Stuttgart-based company on several tracks for the past two years.

One more thing:
My contact at Porsche just mentioned that his colleagues are able to configure their 992 as of November. Also he went for a visit to production line in Zuffenhausen. They're already building the 0-Series! Therefore NO WAY that the car will only debut in Geneva in MARCH next year!

Last edited by DKST; 11-04-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:12 AM
chris14465
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today's article in Stuttgarter Newspaper mentioned specific details about 992 debut in LA on Nov 27 at Porsche Experience Center.

https://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/i...10a3f6d00.html

Translation:
The new Porsche 911 is warming up for its world premiere in California. The eighth generation of this sports car icon, which has been the face of the brand for decades, is to be unveiled on 27 November at the Porsche Experience Center in Los Angeles, where customers and prospective buyers have been able to test the models of the Stuttgart-based company on several tracks for the past two years.

One more thing:
My contact at Porsche just mentioned that his colleagues are able to configure their 992 as of November. Also he went for a visit to production line in Zuffenhausen. They're already building the 0-Series! Therefore NO WAY that the car will only debut in Geneva in MARCH next year!
Well, why don't you keep your Ticket then
Old 11-04-2018, 08:17 AM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 151 Posts

Thanks for the update. Looks like youll be flying there after all?
Old 11-04-2018, 08:22 AM
DKST
Racer

Originally Posted by MEM82
Thanks for the update. Looks like youll be flying there after all?
Hahaha no...that ship has sailed man. It's okay, the person I gave my ticket to will take some photos / videos and I'm sure there will be enough coverage of the model anyways.

Originally Posted by chris14465
Well, why don't you keep your Ticket then
Had to make the decision...otherwise I couldn't have canceled the tickets anymore for free.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:21 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Translation:
The new Porsche 911 is warming up for its world premiere in California. The eighth generation of this sports car icon, which has been the face of the brand for decades, is to be unveiled on 27 November at the Porsche Experience Center in Los Angeles,
so strictly speaking, that's not the LA auto show, it's a private event not connected with the show, right?

In which case, by a bizarre twist of fate, whoopsy Pietro and the other from the Genf gang might save face...

Quick Reply: 992 at LA Motor Show