Sponsored by:

992 and 991 on the street together...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 02:59 AM
PNW2015
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles
seriously looks more like a facelift than a new series.
Agree, it's like a 991.3.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:02 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
We all know what it’s going to look like and drive like and trust me there won’t be any rabbits pulled out of a hat at the unveiling so it’s pointless to pretend that anyone who is skeptical will suddenly rejoice upon their first viewing and test drive. That’s never happened as long as I’ve been in this game.
Disagree. It happens every year with every new model car that significantly changes... People hate it, then many come to love it. Some love it right away. Wait and drive and see...anachronism

noun
anach·ro·nism | \ə-ˈna-krə-ˌni-zəm \Definition of anachronism

1: an error in chronology especially : a chronological misplacing of persons, events, objects, or customs in regard to each other

2: a person or a thing that is chronologically out of place especially : one from a former age that is incongruous in the present

3: limegreen

4: the state or condition of being chronologically out of place

Love your passion and caring... but... dang!!!

S

Old 10-26-2018, 03:18 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by simplex
I had a 991. I sold it after driving the Alfa 4c.
I didn't buy the Alfa for other reasons (garage too full), but driving it showed me that a car can evoke pure joy.
After that I could no longer fully enjoy my 991. Even though I used to track and autocross it heavily, I can't remember it ever bringing me as much joy as the little 4c did on a relatively short drive.

I don't want this to sound like Porsche bashing - I love the company and its history. But something's gone amiss, from my perspective.
Not sure if the 992 can fix it. I have my doubts.
The Alfa is a ton of fun, but that is not a fair comparison. The 911 has never been a 2,4XXlb mid-engined car, nor will it ever be. If light and mid-engined is your jam, you bought the wrong Porsche...
Old 10-26-2018, 03:30 PM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The Alfa is a ton of fun, but that is not a fair comparison. The 911 has never been a 2,4XXlb mid-engined car, nor will it ever be. If light and mid-engined is your jam, you bought the wrong Porsche...
The point is not about light weight and engine layout, but about engineering priorities that determine the feel.
There have been front-engined cars heavier than the 911 that put an ear-to-ear smile on my face.
My old E90 BMW 335i had a sublime steering feel despite being a 4-door sedan.
I found it to be better than the contemporary Cayman, which was lighter and mid-engined.

Last edited by simplex; 10-28-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:33 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Get with the times!
Old 10-27-2018, 09:18 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by simplex
I had a 991. I sold it after driving the Alfa 4c.
I didn't buy the Alfa for other reasons (garage too full), but driving it showed me that a car can evoke pure joy.
After that I could no longer fully enjoy my 991. Even though I used to track and autocross it heavily, I can't remember it ever bringing me as much joy as the little 4c did on a relatively short drive.

I still own a Porsche, the Macan Turbo. Wife daily commutes in it and complains that it's too soft, albeit luxirios.
I don't want this to sound like Porsche bashing - I love the

company and its history. But something's gone amiss, from my perspective.
Not sure if the 992 can fix it. I have my doubts.
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Agree that the small mid-engine cars are more fun to drive than a 911 which has really just become a 2 door Panamera. Thats why I kept my 981 after purchasing my 991.2.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
I agree, which is why I find it funny to see 991 owners firing up the #NotMy911 machine. I mean, I can see being disappointed if you're more into the older cars and were never totally on board with the 991 look, but if you already like the 991's body/exterior I don't see a lot to hate on with these subtle changes.
There is nothing subtle about the changes to the front or rear of the car. One is simple and gorgeous, and the 992 is busy and fugly.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:07 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

There is nothing subtle about the changes to the front or rear of the car. One is simple and gorgeous, and the 992 is busy and fugly.

Careful , you may also be labeled as an " anachronism " for speaking the truth....
Old 10-30-2018, 01:19 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Careful , you may also be labeled as an " anachronism " for speaking the truth....

If the shoe fits...

S
Old 10-30-2018, 02:40 PM
limegreen
Pro

Originally Posted by S S

If the shoe fits...

S
No thanks , I’d rather go barefoot ....
Old 10-30-2018, 07:48 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

No thanks , I’d rather go barefoot ....
Then be extra careful where you step.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:47 AM
limegreen
Pro

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Then be extra careful where you step.
I certainly won't step in the bulls#it I can promise you that much!
Old 11-01-2018, 12:12 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing radical about it. Why mess with something already so well done

Dislikes:
BMW shifter for PDK
black plastic body work
3rd brake light - what is up with that? If looks like something you'd see on a bad lego model.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:24 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

The point your missing is that IF people continue to buy these cars with all their missteps, the next design rollout will only be WORSE.

No one asked us what we wanted, Porsche doesn't poll large groups of current model owners before designing the next ( well, the right people anyways).

It's only through complaining and getting people to open their eyes that we even have a chance of making things better. If we stop buying them they will be forced to make changes. If we keep accepting them then they will just continue on.... Seems pretty simple to me, oh by the way, this method works just as well in politics. The only problem is getting enough people to agree with each other.......
There are still lots of people that will love the car. same as anything really...just because you don't think its right/like it doesnt mean its wrong/ugly. Pretty sure they would have polled thousands of people.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:25 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by blk on blk
Nothing radical about it. Why mess with something already so well done

Dislikes:
BMW shifter for PDK
black plastic body work
3rd brake light - what is up with that? If looks like something you'd see on a bad lego model.
The car isn't finished yet...............

Quick Reply: 992 and 991 on the street together...