Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   992 (https://rennlist.com/forums/992-245/)
-   -   992 and 991 on the street together... (https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1107251-992-and-991-on-the-street-together.html)

S S 10-24-2018 04:23 AM

992 and 991 on the street together...

Not the greatest shots, but some perspective...

Motor 1 Article

usccharles 10-24-2018 06:17 AM

seriously looks more like a facelift than a new series.

chuckbdc 10-24-2018 09:11 AM

Some folks will need clues to identify the 992. So vast is the difference. :icon107:

limegreen 10-24-2018 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by usccharles (Post 15382258)

It's probably the laziest model redesign in Porsche history that has achieved nothing in terms of making the 991 better, only worse, much worse on the inside. Such a shame......

Rocket_boy 10-24-2018 11:38 AM

There are a few aspects that show some "freshness",....but not many. Definitely the the 991.2 looks better from the front,....too much black plastic on the 992 front and rear, hopefully there will be some paint options to cure it. Can't tell, is the blue car a widebody (c4/c4s)? The 992 definitely shows it looks wider and kinda "bulkier" (good and bad). The stock mirrors are horrible of course (as they are on the 991.X),....bring on the sport designs please.

Otherwise, it seems to be more of a refresh rather then a complete new design,....typical of Porsche though. What disturbs me the most is the talked about large price increase and reduced quality/materials for the interior. That to me is not forward progress but a step back considering most generation updates have improved upon this. Just never thought of Porsche as a pay more get less company.

Still waiting to see the very final product.

Craigy 10-24-2018 05:36 PM

Still don't comprehend the 3rd taillight.

ClassJ 10-24-2018 11:07 PM

My Carrera t purchase is the first time I bought the last model year of any body style. I have to say that so far I have zero regrets.

sechsgang 10-24-2018 11:31 PM

Its amazing how much more I like the 911.2, wow.

garfunkle 10-25-2018 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy (Post 15382724)
There are a few aspects that show some "freshness",....but not many. Definitely the the 991.2 looks better from the front,....too much black plastic on the 992 front and rear, hopefully there will be some paint options to cure it. Can't tell, is the blue car a widebody (c4/c4s)? The 992 definitely shows it looks wider and kinda "bulkier" (good and bad). The stock mirrors are horrible of course (as they are on the 991.X),....bring on the sport designs please.

Otherwise, it seems to be more of a refresh rather then a complete new design,....typical of Porsche though. What disturbs me the most is the talked about large price increase and reduced quality/materials for the interior. That to me is not forward progress but a step back considering most generation updates have improved upon this. Just never thought of Porsche as a pay more get less company.

Still waiting to see the very final product.

All are wide body for the 992 therefore none are wide body :)

Skwerl 10-25-2018 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by usccharles (Post 15382258)

I agree, which is why I find it funny to see 991 owners firing up the #NotMy911 machine. I mean, I can see being disappointed if you're more into the older cars and were never totally on board with the 991 look, but if you already like the 991's body/exterior I don't see a lot to hate on with these subtle changes.

S S 10-25-2018 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Skwerl (Post 15385581)
I agree, which is why I find it funny to see 991 owners firing up the #NotMy911 machine. I mean, I can see being disappointed if you're more into the older cars and were never totally on board with the 991 look, but if you already like the 991's body/exterior I don't see a lot to hate on with these subtle changes.

I don't agree with any of the bashing, on the cars or people posting here, etc. I do think most people have issues with the big things that have changed though: the rear, the interior, the rear lights. Some people don't like the hood lines and gaps, but many do like the throwback as a nice homage to earlier models. I particularly like the more squared front fascia and vents. I think they definitely had to go big with them up front to keep some balance with the rear. Otherwise, it was going to look very 92X / 94x, IMO.
These will be awesome cars and most folks will come around when seen on the street or driven. Ultimately, if you don't like it, just keep what you have and wait until the next design rollout... Or until they go hybrid in the .2 and everyone can get on The Hate Train!

S

limegreen 10-25-2018 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Skwerl (Post 15385581)

There is nothing subtle about the interior of the 992 and every exterior change brings absolutely NO improvement over the outgoing model. I even started a thread asking 992 lovers to explain what is so much better about it and it's so far it's been crickets on that thread. A few saying " get with the times" but offering no explanation.

Skwerl 10-25-2018 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by limegreen (Post 15385894)
There is nothing subtle about the interior of the 992 and every exterior change brings absolutely NO improvement over the outgoing model. I even started a thread asking 992 lovers to explain what is so much better about it and it's so far it's been crickets on that thread. A few saying " get with the times" but offering no explanation.

I specifically and intentionally referred to the "body/exterior."

My point isn't that the 992 is aesthetically better than the 991, it's simply that they are extremely similar, to the extent that the facelift shouldn't be enough to make someone think "the 991.2 is beautiful and the last real 911 - the 992 is an abomination," as is a common sentiment here.

The 991.2 moving to forced induction is a much larger and more groan-worthy shift than the 992 having some different plastic on the back end, IMO.

limegreen 10-25-2018 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by S S (Post 15385849)
I don't agree with any of the bashing, on the cars or people posting here, etc. I do think most people have issues with the big things that have changed though: the rear, the interior, the rear lights. Some people don't like the hood lines and gaps, but many do like the throwback as a nice homage to earlier models. I particularly like the more squared front fascia and vents. I think they definitely had to go big with them up front to keep some balance with the rear. Otherwise, it was going to look very 92X / 94x, IMO.
These will be awesome cars and most folks will come around when seen on the street or driven. Ultimately, if you don't like it, just keep what you have and wait until the next design rollout... Or until they go hybrid in the .2 and everyone can get on The Hate Train!

S

The point your missing is that IF people continue to buy these cars with all their missteps, the next design rollout will only be WORSE.

No one asked us what we wanted, Porsche doesn't poll large groups of current model owners before designing the next ( well, the right people anyways).

It's only through complaining and getting people to open their eyes that we even have a chance of making things better. If we stop buying them they will be forced to make changes. If we keep accepting them then they will just continue on.... Seems pretty simple to me, oh by the way, this method works just as well in politics. The only problem is getting enough people to agree with each other.......

erik_plus8 10-25-2018 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by limegreen (Post 15385936)
The point your missing is that IF people continue to buy these cars with all their missteps, the next design rollout will only be WORSE.

No one asked us what we wanted, Porsche doesn't poll large groups of current model owners before designing the next ( well, the right people anyways).

It's only through complaining and getting people to open their eyes that we even have a chance of making things better. If we stop buying them they will be forced to make changes. If we keep accepting them then they will just continue on.... Seems pretty simple to me, oh by the way, this method works just as well in politics. The only problem is getting enough people to agree with each other.......

Very true. Look at how the M/T re-apperared in the .2GT3...