Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 04:23 PM
siitech
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Well, the engine size and car design seem to be pandering for the Chinese laws and taste Chinese, respectively. But that's probably just a coincidence. Porsche would say intelligent performance courageous design changes everything. In the proper font.
We can not blame a bad design of Porsche on Asian influence. There is a huge market for Porsche in Asia because a good number of affluent Asian appreciate the performance, heritage, and the classic teutonic design of Porsche. I would think a fleet of Porsche cars looks like Lexus or Kia would be a quick way to lose market in Asia as well as the rest of the world. It would be stupid for Porsche to catering to a particular taste but not the state of the art design. In general, my experience is a good or bad design not only reflects the taste of the design department, but even more importantly, the top management of the company. As for example, we all can see Steve Job's influence on the Apple products, it would not have been the same without him. I too do not like the design of the new Cayenne's front end, and think the overall design is bland. I worry it shows the direction Porsche is heading into. Let's hope not. And if so, I would only blame Porsche for it but not the Asian market.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:55 PM
Zwhaler
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny how reading this thread just makes me really dislike the new design. Overall I don't hate it but I don't like the plastic near the tailpipes. Yes, the car is getting a more unified design with the rest of the lineup and is going more mainstream. But it will drive better. Worth it? I think so.

Last edited by Zwhaler; 11-15-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:03 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Spin
I'm with you. I'm old school. Don't care for electric or FI. NA for me. Perhaps when I'm done with GT cars I move on to Singer.
Electric cars don't bother me so much. It is when the slot cars start showing up that I am out!
Old 11-16-2018, 01:40 PM
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like the new one at all. I know they are unveiling it soon, but the its not going to deviate too much from the spy shots.
I am pretty unhappy because I have been planning for years to buy my dream car (a brand new paint to sample Turbo) but when I am going to be set, the 992 is what's available...and I am sure as heck not buying it.

I like the new hood.

I don't like the ugly rear lights (looks just like the cayman and panemara; it looks good on them, not the 911). The new spoilers designs are terrible. The regular 911 looks like its skirt is being blown up, the turbo spoiler looks ho hum. All the cars are wide body, so they all look even more similar. The interior is atrocious...it looks like a Volvo from the early 2000s. The nub is possibly the least sports car thing they could have put. Either put a "real" looking faux shifter, or just make it buttons on the console with paddle shifters only. The console itself doesnt look too hot (I dislike large consoles). I really liked the 911 because they only had "emergency" cupholders, no more.

At least now I won't feel like I am settling if I buy a used 991 now, in addition to saving 40k. Unfortunately, it won't be signal yellow. My dream car got away...

If I had to buy a new one in a year or two I'd probably just get a cayman or a panemara. They look a lot better than the 911 does, and are way cheaper
Old 11-16-2018, 01:47 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 911247365
I don't like the new one at all. I know they are unveiling it soon, but the its not going to deviate too much from the spy shots.
I am pretty unhappy because I have been planning for years to buy my dream car (a brand new paint to sample Turbo) but when I am going to be set, the 992 is what's available...and I am sure as heck not buying it.

I like the new hood.

I don't like the ugly rear lights (looks just like the cayman and panemara; it looks good on them, not the 911). The new spoilers designs are terrible. The regular 911 looks like its skirt is being blown up, the turbo spoiler looks ho hum. All the cars are wide body, so they all look even more similar. The interior is atrocious...it looks like a Volvo from the early 2000s. The nub is possibly the least sports car thing they could have put. Either put a "real" looking faux shifter, or just make it buttons on the console with paddle shifters only. The console itself doesnt look too hot (I dislike large consoles). I really liked the 911 because they only had "emergency" cupholders, no more.

At least now I won't feel like I am settling if I buy a used 991 now, in addition to saving 40k. Unfortunately, it won't be signal yellow. My dream car got away...

If I had to buy a new one in a year or two I'd probably just get a cayman or a panemara. They look a lot better than the 911 does, and are way cheaper
Your not alone , even some of us who currently own 991's have had our dreams crushed as we realize there will not be another future 911 worth buying.

The 992 redesign simply sucks. period. end of story. They made NO subjective improvements over the previous design and have only succeeded in making the 911 more of a homogenized sport/luxury vehicle similar to the rest of Porsche's current lineup.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:12 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I like the new hood.

deleted
Old 11-16-2018, 02:15 PM
AutoX

yeah its pretty bad...I am not even "stuck in the past" or "hate change"...I am 35, haven't owned a porsche before, but driven plenty of nice cars. I like porsche because they always kept their design classy and sporty. Now the interior looks like it wants to be an electric car.

IMO they are going to lose a lot of fans. I keep using myself as an example, since I know myself best. I've wanted a 911, specifically a turbo, forever. I am not a motor head, but rather someone that loves good design. I've been buying used cars and driving them to the ground, saving, working hard to get where I am, and was planning on rewarding myself with a brand new Turbo. Now, the reasons I love the 911 will be gone. My wife has an electric car. Its plenty fun, and really sporty. It's not loud, but its good at what it does.

I wish I was in a financial position to order one of the 991s, but I am going to miss it by a few years.

My dream car list just went from "brand new paint to sample 911 Turbo-911-911- some other car" to "991/997 Turbo-used 911/Tesla Roadster-something super cheap so I can spend my time/money on other things".
Old 11-16-2018, 02:24 PM
Warren99
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts

I like the new hood.

I understand you not like the interior, several have expressed that same sentiment, but I don’t understand the early 2000s Volvo comparison. It’s interesting that you said you rather buy a Panamera because you think it’s better looking. Most people on this hate thread have complained the 992 looking too much like the Panamera.

Signal Yellow is a good choice. I like that color a lot. It would be hard to find a 991 Turbo like that, so that stinks. You could take that 40k you save though and use it to get it repainted. Not the top choice, but for a dream car, may be worth it. Best of luck figuring out your purchase.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:47 PM
AutoX

Yeah, I always though a modern Signal Yellow turbo would look good and age well. Alas. Nah, I won't repeat (edit: repaint)...I've goofed around with cars to where I now prefer just to keep them stock except for minor tweaks (exhaust tips, wheels). Especially with something this pricey.

The early 2000 volvos had this attempt to look futuristic/minimalist but it really just looked good without being actually a good layout for the console. I get the same sense from the 992. Haptic buttons, tons of screens, a nub..but in a car that is supposed to be sporty and classic? It just doesnt match. This is the interior I expect in a hybrid or electric car.

I would rather buy a panemara..its a family car, not a sports car. The interior matches the outside, and its overall function. The 911 is a sports car.
The Panamera do look pretty good...but that doesn't mean the 911 should look like one.

Last edited by 911247365; 11-16-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:21 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah, I always though a modern Signal Yellow turbo would look good and age well. Alas. Nah, I won't repeat...I've goofed around with cars to where I now prefer just to keep them stock except for minor tweaks (exhaust tips, wheels). Especially with something this pricey.

The early 2000 volvos had this attempt to look futuristic/minimalist but it really just looked good without being actually a good layout for the console. I get the same sense from the 992. Haptic buttons, tons of screens, a nub..but in a car that is supposed to be sporty and classic? It just doesnt match. This is the interior I expect in a hybrid or electric car.

I would rather buy a panemara..its a family car, not a sports car. The interior matches the outside, and its overall function. The 911 is a sports car.
The Panamera do look pretty good...but that doesn't mean the 911 should look like one.
For someone that has never owned a Porsche before you sure are DEAD ON with your assessment of what's happening. I'm the same age and agree 100% with where your coming from. It's sad and I wish we had better choices to look forward to.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:47 PM
AutoX

Well, I have been admiring/reading/appreciatingwaiting my whole life to buy one
For me a Porsche was always that classic look, an air-cooled (ok water cooled) flat 6 (NA and turbo!), and it was sleek and sexy but also wide and low for the tuned up versions. They age so well. Even the 996 I really liked. The 992, for some reason, I doubt will age well at all.

But now they'll all look the same, and there's no NA unless go GT. They took the things I liked most. I mean, if they are going to make the 911 spoiler look like that, they might as well have taken the panamera split wing tech.

I dont even mind going hybrid or electric, as long as it's done right.

The good thing is I can now shift my goals from *New turbo" to "used turbo AND money", "Cayman AND electric car" or "Tesla Roadster". Or heck, maybe just wait for the 992 successor and get an electric/future sports car. This 992 is a bridge for the 911 to become a high end hybrid or electric...I dont think it will be remembered for much else. Its styling is too forward for its technology.

I am actually browsing local lux car shops, maybe I'll go check out a used 991 a little earlier...I mean, if I am gonna have used car in 3 years, might as well be me using during those 3 years

PS: Re looking forward to better choices...unless you really like supercars, there's always the reasonable choice: buy a super cheap, useful daily driver (my prius takes $20 of fuel, my electric $1-3 a day and its dead silent/smooth/smart) and then get an entry level cayman any color you want because its never going on an errand)
Old 11-16-2018, 08:01 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Spot on but you might swallow the pill if you think the otherway round
The 992 is a Panamera that looks like a 911

Where the hell the designer and the board have drunk that day they have chosen this 992 design??

time for another robmypro funny video...
Old 11-17-2018, 12:11 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

It's interesting how no one calls out the Mercedes GT as a 911 alternative. I like the car, but can't see it as a daily driver...
Old 11-17-2018, 12:37 PM
AutoX

Originally Posted by fxz
Spot on but you might swallow the pill if you think the otherway round
The 992 is a Panamera that looks like a 911
at that point I’d rather take the two extra seats and expanding rear spoiler, as well as my dignity.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:25 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
It's interesting how no one calls out the Mercedes GT as a 911 alternative. I like the car, but can't see it as a daily driver...
Not sure why either,....but IMO (and just that) the Mercedes GT is about one of the butt ugliest cars to be be released,...and that goes for the whole recent Mercedes lineup.
It simply looks to me like the ultimate size 13 clown shoe that got hit in the nose 10 more times. I've seen only a couple around since they rolled out,...look pretty nice from the
back and cabin, but that nose, OMG....

Quick Reply: Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.