Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 06:30 PM
Warren99
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts

​​​​​​​They started the fake exhaust with the 991.2 GT2RS
Old 11-12-2018, 06:49 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by Warren99

​​​​​​​They started the fake exhaust with the 991.2 GT2RS
Allegedly it reduces insurance premiums in Germany, as a rear end collision is cheaper to fix without involving the exhaust system. Allegedly.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:48 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

If above is true I don't know - seems likely. But one definite reason for doing fake exhaust tips is that manufacturing won't have to align and adjust exhaust tips in relation to the bumper. You take out all tolerances and possibilities for looking bad from behind when doing this. Problem (IMHO) is that now it really looks bad from behind because you see the smaller diameter shiny pipe ends inside huge fake oval tips. Look at Audi R8 V10 for a really horrible example.

I was hoping Porsche wouldn't do this but the 991.2 GT2RS proved me wrong, and it seems to continue
Old 11-13-2018, 08:15 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Warren99

They started the fake exhaust with the 991.2 GT2RS

I think they started the practice of placing the hot muffler exit pipe inside of a fitting that keeps hot gases slightly away from the decorative bodywork on the 918. A GT2RS showed up at Cars N Coffee last Saturday. This "horrible" feature was not the topic of discussion. Granted, it was not the 992 version so we will have to wait on that judgement.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:31 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
Can you guys educate me on why hybrid is necessarily such a bad thing for the 911?

I love high driver engagement and low weight, probably like most of us. I don't see this necessarily being less engaging, so is it the weight that's the issue, or just that's it's a new (perhaps more complicated) drivetrain?
Weight, reliability, ease of self maintenance, driver engagement, dilution of the name.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:40 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,479 Likes on 627 Posts

All exhaust tips are "fake." They don't serve a function other than adding bling. Whether they are welded on or aligned but not physically connected doesn't make them real or fake. And how they are connected (or not) does not affect performance one iota. Real exhaust comes through them in both cases. It's fine to not like the lack of a physical connection, but to call them fake is like saying a Lotus chassis is fake because it's "glued" together rather than welded.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:54 AM
Warren99
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts

I forgot about the 918 exhaust having a similar treatment. I was just thinking in 911 terms. Personally it doesn’t bother me, on the GT2RS or the new 992.

Denny Swift has a good point about “fake” exhaust. I think truly fake would be what you see on a new Audi, where it’s solid plastic with some chrome shaped to look like exhaust.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:08 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
Weight, reliability, ease of self maintenance, driver engagement, dilution of the name.
+ Very expensive long-term maintenance and technology that becomes obsolete very quickly.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:14 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
Can you guys educate me on why hybrid is necessarily such a bad thing for the 911?

I love high driver engagement and low weight, probably like most of us. I don't see this necessarily being less engaging, so is it the weight that's the issue, or just that's it's a new (perhaps more complicated) drivetrain?
Guys buy 911s for many reasons but certainly performance, handling, prestige, and history are at the top of the list. They don't buy 911s for high mpg or low emissions. 911 folks are not clamoring for a hybrid. It is being forced upon them by regulatory requirements.

So then the question is, what does a hybrid do for the sports car enthusiast? Not much. More weight, complexity, worse handling, sound sucks etc. You can make an argument that performance can be increased (918, 919) but these are specialty cars, in part to emotionally prepare the sports car community for hybrids and to be a developmental test platform.

If you want to know the future of the 911, look at what Porsche just did at Le Mans. Abandoned LMP1 for Formula E. All electric is coming to the 911.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:46 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Guys buy 911s for many reasons but certainly performance, handling, prestige, and history are at the top of the list. They don't buy 911s for high mpg or low emissions. 911 folks are not clamoring for a hybrid. It is being forced upon them by regulatory requirements.

So then the question is, what does a hybrid do for the sports car enthusiast? Not much. More weight, complexity, worse handling, sound sucks etc. You can make an argument that performance can be increased (918, 919) but these are specialty cars, in part to emotionally prepare the sports car community for hybrids and to be a developmental test platform.

If you want to know the future of the 911, look at what Porsche just did at Le Mans. Abandoned LMP1 for Formula E. All electric is coming to the 911.
I somehow doubt that a 911 hybrid will be "foisted" on anyone, any more than Porsche will stop marketing a deconted, "lightweight" 911T to satisfy the "purists" if there are sales to be had and money to be made. A 911 hybrid is most likely to be the range topper for non-GT cars, slotted above the big engine Turbo. If you want to understand why, get a ride in a Panny TT Hybrid and see why demand exceeds supply.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:12 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I somehow doubt that a 911 hybrid will be "foisted" on anyone, any more than Porsche will stop marketing a deconted, "lightweight" 911T to satisfy the "purists" if there are sales to be had and money to be made. A 911 hybrid is most likely to be the range topper for non-GT cars, slotted above the big engine Turbo. If you want to understand why, get a ride in a Panny TT Hybrid and see why demand exceeds supply.
Fair enough. I did get a ride in that car on Porsche's track in Leipzig by a professional driver. Scared the crap out of me.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:52 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter

No doubt the all electric 911 is coming,....and that will be my bow out from the name and new cars in general. I grew up on ICE's and it's too much in my blood,....every single electric toy I had,....I always wanted the gas version. Plus I think there are much better alternatives coming compared to a bunch of batteries and electric motors. There is just no way I could drive around a silent 911. Now that will be a sad day (at least to me). I'll let the next generations handle the autonomous electric car world.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:02 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
No doubt the all electric 911 is coming,....and that will be my bow out from the name and new cars in general. I grew up on ICE's and it's too much in my blood,....every single electric toy I had,....I always wanted the gas version. Plus I think there are much better alternatives coming compared to a bunch of batteries and electric motors. There is just no way I could drive around a silent 911. Now that will be a sad day (at least to me). I'll let the next generations handle the autonomous electric car world.
I'm with you. I'm old school. Don't care for electric or FI. NA for me. Perhaps when I'm done with GT cars I move on to Singer.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:42 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I think they started the practice of placing the hot muffler exit pipe inside of a fitting that keeps hot gases slightly away from the decorative bodywork on the 918. A GT2RS showed up at Cars N Coffee last Saturday. This "horrible" feature was not the topic of discussion. Granted, it was not the 992 version so we will have to wait on that judgement.
It predates the 918 by a long time on VW products. The decorative chrome tips of my Gallardo are attached to the rear fascia, but not to the exhaust pipes, so it's been going on for at least a decade. As you say, I expect it is to keep hot pipes away from flammable plastic.

As we move away from ICEs, however, I do not understand the big faux-pipe trend. Who are they fooling with giant square dual exhausts on a 2.0 turbo-4 (pick your manufacturer)? It's like fake side pipes back in the 1970s. Even as a little kid I thought it was ridiculous.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:15 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

The move toward FI and ultimately toward electric is why I am stockpiling - if 2 cars is stockpiling - NA 991s. God willing, my GTS and GT3T are the last two cars I will ever buy. If I want to drive an electric vehicle, I'll go play golf and rent a cart.

Quick Reply: Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.