Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Georg Kacher: Porsche Controls the Future for Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, and Lamborghini

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 01:31 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Georg Kacher: Porsche Controls the Future for Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, and Lamborghini

Lots of interesting stuff here: https://www.automobilemag.com/news/p...d-lamborghini/

Porsche is about to release the next 911, dubbed 992. Originally, this was meant to be the final iteration of the MHB toolkit, but since the 992 architecture can accommodate PHEV componentry, we would not be surprised to see it live on in modified form. While the 992 retains the classic rear-engine layout, the still-pending 960 would be a mid-engine coupé featuring a six-cylinder boxer and a 200-kW (268-hp) electric front-wheel drive system.

Although Porsche has allegedly signed off the Boxster/Cayman replacement (codenamed 983), it’s another low-margin project because the segment is in free fall. We hear that 983 is package-protected for a straight-five engine in case Audi feels like replacing the TT with a proper sports car.

Rumor also has it that Porsche is investigating an all-electric sports car scenario. Derived from the MMB components set, there is talk of a neo-Cayman E (two motors good for 400 hp, 100-kWh battery) and a neo-919 E (three motors rated at 600 hp, 125 kWh battery).
Old 09-10-2018, 07:27 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

"and a neo-919" Doubt Porsche are going to name a road car the same as one of their existing prototype race cars.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:29 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by JMartinni
"and a neo-919" Doubt Porsche are going to name a road car the same as one of their existing prototype race cars.
I think you mean retired prototype race cars...
Old 09-11-2018, 01:07 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Is it still considered a 'prototype' if it won LeMans?

Not like they ever intended to put the 919 into production. It is basically the 918's competition sibling.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:09 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by JMartinni
Doubt Porsche are going to name a road car the same as one of their existing prototype race cars.
They already did that..

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Is it still considered a 'prototype' if it won LeMans?
"Prototype" is the colloquial term generally used for race cars that are not based on production cars. The LMP1/2 category stands for Le Mans Prototype.

I think the use of the word stems from the fact that the cars are usually a rolling test bed for future technologies, thus a "prototype" for them.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:06 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
"Prototype" is the colloquial term generally used for race cars that are not based on production cars. The LMP1/2 category stands for Le Mans Prototype.

I think the use of the word stems from the fact that the cars are usually a rolling test bed for future technologies, thus a "prototype" for them.
That makes sense, I suppose.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:27 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Some interesting observations about the potential engineering fallout from really innovative "prototype" racing (as opposed to simple class labels) is in a great writeup on driving the 919:

<https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big-reads/chris-harris-drives-porsche-919-hybrid>
Old 09-11-2018, 07:26 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I think you mean retired prototype race cars...
No, I mean existing prototype race cars, as in the number has been assigned to a totally different car already. Retired or not doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
They already did that..

Key difference being that a 718 Spyder was a lot closer to a road car and if I'm not mistaken were able to be made road legal, plus the similarities between new and old are evident enough for Porsche to name a new model after it. Unless Porsche are releasing a road legal version of the 919 Hybrid (which Kacher wasn't talking about) naming another road car after a recent prototype race car is nonsense. Porsche aren't going to release an all-electric "919 E" road car.

Quick Reply: Georg Kacher: Porsche Controls the Future for Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, and Lamborghini