Sponsored by:

Porsche Drivers Council: Focus Group

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 02:01 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Lead Foot
The 992 shown at this focus group was the production version and not another concept variant.
To repeat, the 3rd brake light is vertical and stands out like a sore thumb in the middle of the engine cover. It was ugly to me. Also, the gear shift is the same as the spy shot where it is an electric travel razor. More important to me was some of the materials were cheaper than normally seen plastics in the 991.
Why would they show a “production version” to a focus group ? What if the car was so heinous, that you all started vomiting wildly ? What was the plan ? Serious question with a funny ending - I don’t see the point of a focus group if the car is completely finished.

I think we’re being trolled by Porsche with that gear shifter. Even the Panamera isn’t that bad. Look at every other modern 911 derivative; they’ve produced some evil cool PDK shifters. A female friend of mine once described the RS shifter as - ‘if Darth Vader had a dik, that’s what it would look like’. Now I can’t unsee it.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:36 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14
I think we’re being trolled by Porsche with that gear shifter. Even the Panamera isn’t that bad.
Also, previously Porsche placed both shifters in a fairly similar (interchangeable, I presume) center console panel. Don't quite see why they would now implement a PDK shifter that's so substantially different from the manual one, or from the PDK shifter in any other Porsche. Plus, with that approach they can't even charge for different PDK shifter design options anymore...
Old 08-09-2018, 06:45 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JMartinni
or from the PDK shifter in any other Porsche
Correction, I remembered there's one.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:58 PM
atombomb33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lead Foot
The 992 shown at this focus group was the production version and not another concept variant.
To repeat, the 3rd brake light is vertical and stands out like a sore thumb in the middle of the engine cover. It was ugly to me. Also, the gear shift is the same as the spy shot where it is an electric travel razor. More important to me was some of the materials were cheaper than normally seen plastics in the 991.
Agree it wouldn't have been a "concept variant." Porsche is well beyond that phase with the 992. But I'm not sure it was the production version either. It's most likely a pre-production unit of the 992. Probably about 95% of what the final car will be. But some of the material finishes (interior and exterior) may not have been fully dialed in yet.

I work in the auto industry and work with OEMs to do early product clinic research, like the research that some people in this thread attended. Being this far out from the purported reveal of the production model at Paris or LA, and with a rumored on-sale date of late Q1 or early Q2 of 2019, you more than likely saw a pre-production model at the focus group.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:09 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts
Default 992 PDK Toggle

Ohhhh-- the 918 shift nub: BINGO! I can see the marketing shaping up on this one.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:15 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Why would they show a “production version” to a focus group ? What if the car was so heinous, that you all started vomiting wildly ? What was the plan ? Serious question with a funny ending - I don’t see the point of a focus group if the car is completely finished.
The focus of the focus group was not design of the 992. I'll leave it at that.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:27 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The focus of the focus group was not design of the 992. I'll leave it at that.
Ah. Understood. BTW - Your avatar cracks me up
Old 08-18-2018, 11:51 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by JMartinni
Correction, I remembered there's one.

Exactly. And it wouldn't stop me buying a 918 if I had the opportunity.

What matters is how the car drives. Couldn't give a damn what the shifter looks like.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:21 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
The payment is not for your time. Its because you cannot have a valid contract without consideration. In other words, their NDA is worth zip if you weren't paid.
That is not true in certain states where consideration is only required on one side. By having consideration on both sides, you completely avoid the argument entirely, but in some states, consideration on only one side (agreement not to disclose something that you may otherwise be permitted to disclose) is sufficient even if there is no payment.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:24 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

The payment is not for your time. Its because you cannot have a valid contract without consideration. In other words, their NDA is worth zip if you weren't paid.
Couldn't access to unreleased Porsche information be considered of value and thus consideration? Spy shots and information that dribbles out is all worth something to those trying to get the scoop on their competitors.

So, in consideration for being granted access to prototype and pre-production materials and ideas, you agree not to disclose that same material and ideas.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:12 PM
baronwilberforce
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My $0.02

Access to confidential information can be a form or consideration, otherwise every standard NDA out in the market is void. I'd suggest that the Porsche lawyers are fairly conservative given the amount of regulation they deal with on a day to day basis, so they have probably insisted that the participants be paid so that the consideration is clear.

The other way to do it would be through a deed (which doesn't require consideration), but they are more difficult to execute.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:05 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Ah. Understood. BTW - Your avatar cracks me up
same..I scrolled back couple of times to look at it again
Old 09-01-2018, 12:06 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Consideration does not need to be monetary and may be nominal. That’s covered in the third day of law school.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:13 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Can someone tell them how ugly the new pdk shifter is?
Old 09-06-2018, 07:33 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by phx991
Consideration does not need to be monetary and may be nominal. That’s covered in the third day of law school.
X2 most courts don't even care for the "consideration" aspect as it's a mere technicality at this point in most if not all jurisdictions from my understanding. It's almost always nominal and a given

- from a short lived attorney

Quick Reply: Porsche Drivers Council: Focus Group