All season tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2024, 11:39 AM
Gr1320
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All season tires

Hello all,
I have a 992.1 turbo s coupe and currently reside in the north east. I want to drive the car during winter months when it isn’t actively snowing and was wondering if anyone has any input if there are any all season tires that could be used for the car, and if so any recommendations?. Not sure if only option is to swap to winter tires ?
thank you in advance for any input anyone can provide and also apologies if this has already been hashed out in another thread
Old 09-20-2024, 11:45 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,362 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by Gr1320
Hello all,
I have a 992.1 turbo s coupe and currently reside in the north east. I want to drive the car during winter months when it isn’t actively snowing and was wondering if anyone has any input if there are any all season tires that could be used for the car, and if so any recommendations?. Not sure if only option is to swap to winter tires ?
thank you in advance for any input anyone can provide and also apologies if this has already been hashed out in another thread
Best options from a performance standpoint is to swap to winter tires. All seasons are be better from a cost and convenience perspective, but I rather not sacrifice performance on a performance vehicle.
Old 09-20-2024, 11:51 AM
Gr1320
8th Gear

Gotcha thank you for advice. Yea I have a cayenne gts and I swapped to winter tires on that, I didn’t like how the steering felt on it once the tires were swapped and was worried it would be the same thing for the turbo. Probably because the winters on the gts were smaller size
Old 09-20-2024, 12:49 PM
turbonator
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts

True winter tires will always feel "spongy" compared to summer or even all season tires. I would suggest using all season tires in the winter (as long as you're not planning on driving in snow) and then switch to summer/performance tires during the rest of the year
Old 09-20-2024, 07:12 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 446 Likes on 291 Posts

I drive my car year-round and live in the northeast too. I bought a set of Pirelli CINTURATO P7™ for a smoking deal on Tirerack a few days before I picked up my car in November last year. They are very good for what they are. I also ended up getting a second set of wheels from someone on FB marketplace. I switch to the all-season around Thanksgiving and switch back around Easter. With my Last TTS I had a set of winter tires and yes they are very spongy. I like the all seasons I have and they are even mud and snow rated.
Old 09-20-2024, 07:22 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,776 Likes on 1,111 Posts

If you are in a city and/or they plow a lot, then Michelin AS/4 all season tires are quite grippy and sporty in low temps as long as the road surface is not covered in snow and ice continually. Dry/wet performance is good.

These AS tires will also prevent you from being stuck in snow up to 4-5.” I mean, you’ll be sliding around, and they are worse than winters, but you won’t get stuck.

EDIT: one other benefit of AS tires is that occasionally, in the winter, sometimes there’s a nice, warm, sunny 50F day. It’s a pain to swap your tires just for one good day.

Last edited by Mike Murphy; 09-20-2024 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-21-2024, 12:47 PM
Foosh
Burning Brakes

Received 446 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Gr1320
Hello all,
I'm in exactly the same situation as you, and went to the Continental DWS 06+ year-round, which is an ultra high performance (UHP) all season tire with the same speed rating Y-rating/186+ mph) as the 911 OEM summer tires. They give up nothing in spirited street use even in summer temps, and they are outstanding at temps well below freezing. You have to get summer tires really hot to gain a grip advantage of summer tires vs. the best UHP all seasons, and the only place you can sanely do that is on a race track.

I've been running the DWS06+ for over a year now, and I'm much happier with them than the OEM P-Zeros I took off.

If you're not going to drive in snow, you have no need for dedicated winter tires. However, the DWS 06+ will get you home just fine in light snow if caught by an unexpected storm. They are available in all OEM 911 sizes. The are rated almost the same as the Michelin AS4 (#1 and #2), which is an excellent tire, but the AS4 is not available in OEM TTS sizes for both front and rear.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-21-2024 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-21-2024, 03:17 PM
Gr1320
8th Gear

Thank you all for the advice this has been really
informative, going to see if I can find any of the all seasons you guys mentioned to keep on the car for winter months. Seems like the continentals are not available at moment but will continue to look!
Old 09-21-2024, 03:50 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,776 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I'm in exactly the same situation as you, and went to the Continental DWS 06+ year-round, which is an ultra high performance (UHP) all season tire with the same speed rating Y-rating/186+ mph) as the 911 OEM summer tires. They give up nothing in spirited street use even in summer temps, and they are outstanding at temps well below freezing. You have to get summer tires really hot to gain a grip advantage of summer tires vs. the best UHP all seasons, and the only place you can sanely do that is on a race track.

I've been running the DWS06+ for over a year now, and I'm much happier with them than the OEM P-Zeros I took off.

If you're not going to drive in snow, you have no need for dedicated winter tires. However, the DWS 06+ will get you home just fine in light snow if caught by an unexpected storm. They are available in all OEM 911 sizes. The are rated almost the same as the Michelin AS4 (#1 and #2), which is an excellent tire, but the AS4 is not available in OEM TTS sizes for both front and rear.
I had Continental DWS tires on my Boxster S a long time ago. I agree, they are great. They are probably the very best AS tire when it comes to snow and ice. I remember being stuck on the expressway behind a bunch of cars, trucks, and SUVs going about 40mph, all in one lane, because the other lane was not plowed. It was probably 4-5” of snow in that lane. So I moved my Boxster into the left lane, and passed all these vehicles, carefully. Tire Rack tested these tires in the arctic circle and they outperformed every other AS tire in snow and ice by a large margin at frigid temps.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (Today)
Old 09-21-2024, 10:13 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Does Tire Rack sell the continentals in the sizes we would need? When I do a search under our car, I never see continentals as an option. The fact, the only reason I was able to find the Perelli’s is because I searched the tire sizes individually not the car.
Old 09-22-2024, 12:16 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 465 Posts

I have the Continental DWS06+, I love them, much quieter than the PS4's I had before, cheaper and for me no loss of performance, plus I got them from Tire Rack.
Old 09-22-2024, 08:28 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Jim, not that I am in the market, but just out of interests sake, I went on tireracks site. I searched 315/30/21. They do not have a Continental tire in that size. I then went on Continental site and the tire that you reference is also not available in that size. They do have a 255/35/20. But I don’t see what tire you guys are going to run in the rear if you have those continentals. At least they’re not available on the website of Continental.
Old 09-22-2024, 09:17 AM
Gr1320
8th Gear

Yes agree with above post can’t seem to find any of these tires on manufacture website or tire rack. Maybe discontinued?
Old 09-25-2024, 01:59 AM
cptcolo0
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

For more of a colder weather tire and possible light snow duty you could look at the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. They are available in the old 991 GT3 sizes of 265/35-20 (9.2" tread width) and 325/30-21 (11.7" tread width). These size tires would really only work with the Exclusive Design wheels (9.5x20, 12x21) to keep the thread with less than or equal to the wheel width. Hopefully you have ED wheels. The 265/35-20 and 325/30-21 tire sizes are a direct fit as reported by several on this site.

You could even use these tires in the summer and they would do decently but they will be a significant compromise compared to gripper summer tire. For a car like the Turbo it definitely needs summer tires in the summer or what is the point. Tires are the most important component you have on your car that effects performance.

Old 09-25-2024, 11:56 AM
Foosh
Burning Brakes

Received 446 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by cptcolo0
For more of a colder weather tire and possible light snow duty you could look at the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. They are available in the old 991 GT3 sizes of 265/35-20 (9.2" tread width) and 325/30-21 (11.7" tread width). These size tires would really only work with the Exclusive Design wheels (9.5x20, 12x21) to keep the thread with less than or equal to the wheel width. Hopefully you have ED wheels. The 265/35-20 and 325/30-21 tire sizes are a direct fit as reported by several on this site.

You could even use these tires in the summer and they would do decently but they will be a significant compromise compared to gripper summer tire. For a car like the Turbo it definitely needs summer tires in the summer or what is the point. Tires are the most important component you have on your car that effects performance.
What you say above may have been true 5 or so years ago, but both Michelin and Continental have developed significant rubber compound improvements to their ultra-high-performance (UHP) all season tires to the point that their performance nearly matches summer max performance tires for even summer street driving. You can't heat tires up on the street anywhere close to the temps seen in extended track sessions because you can only do short bursts if you want to retain your license to drive. You need a lot of max braking and high-G cornering to get to track-level tire temps.

The pro race drivers at the Corvette and Cadillac high performance driving schools at Spring Mt. have tested the OEM Michelin PS4S max performance tires vs. the AS4 and found the lap times to be nearly identical for the first 3-5 laps. After that, heat-build up produces a significant advantage for the summer tire. However, you can't do that in street use and stay out of jail.

The Continental DWS 06+ performs nearly as well as the AS4, the difference is round-off error, and that's the tire I use year-round because AS4s are not currently available in both OEM front and rear sizes for the Turbo S.

There are different classes of all season tires, just as there are for summer tires, and the UHP all season category has significantly closed the grip gap with street summer performance tires like the OEM P-Zero and PS4S. Then there is the massive added benefit of UHP all season being significantly better than the PS4S at temps below 60ºF down to sub-zero temps.

Tire technology is progressing faster than the user knowledge base. If you're tracking, then absolutely yes you'll benefit from a good max performance summer tire. If you're street-only, you won't.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-25-2024 at 12:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Butzi (09-25-2024)

Quick Reply: All season tires