Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Taycan Turbo GT 1/4 Mile

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2024, 10:16 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,912 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by L76
How many times can the Taycan Turbo GT (or any eCar) repeat these acceleration numbers before the battery requires a recharge? And how long does it take for a full recharge? Just curious.

cheers,
L76
tldr; about 1/2 hour turn around to charge the battery to 80% or more after 10-15 1/4 mile runs @ a 350 kW 800V fast charging station - power consumption math says 20-25 runs possible, but that would be the "limit"…and performance might drop off as battery approaches 30% or less capacity…so you can do 15-20'ish 9.25 second 1/4 mile runs - or drive highway speeds for about 300 miles for one battery cycle - the main limiting factor for Taycan will be battery capacity and tires - other EV's might have more problems with battery Thermals for repeat performance, but most every EV vendor is getting better across the board in this space as EV products evolve. Suggesting newer model EV's in 2020 and later have a "repeatability" problem regarding acceleration is dredging up the truth from 2014, but not necessarily the case today.

math and detailed description below
----------------------------------------
From Porsche's technical information website for the Taycan GT - but charging times would/should be identical across the product line (base to GT) - I would estimate you'll get at least 10 "pulls" for this - maybe more - I ran my gen1 Taycan Turbo flat out @ Laguna Seca for about 15 min before I got to battery temp thresholds and had reduced power until the battery cooled - I was at 50% battery capacity when I came off track - started with 98% battery - the new gen2 Taycan have better battery cooling and more endurance, but Porsche has not yet characterized it in concrete terms vs. gen1 Taycan. Back to back 1/4 mile runs at 9.25 second each max power should be no problem for an EV than ran flat out @ laguna for 15 minutes or so and can run full power for a full ring lap - there is ample down time between 1/4 mile full power runs for everything to "recover" and be ready for the next run.

max power is 760 kW according to Porsche - so that is maximum consumption - nominal Voltage is 780 volts - so 760 kW / 780 volts = 974 amps of current - call it a 1000 amp dump into the two EV motors at 780 volts - that's a huge rush of power being dumped in milli-seconds…honestly it's awesome.

so a 1/4 mile run in 9.25 seconds is 760 kW max power for duration of the 1/4 mile - so we need to delivery 760 kW across a time period of 9.25 seconds - that amount of power is 0.211 kWh per second of operation - let's round it up to a full .250 kWh per second - 9.25 seconds @ 0.250 kWh/sec is 2.3 kWh consumed of battery capacity - we'll round that up to a solid 3 kWh of battery capacity/consumption for a full power 1/4 mile run - or about 0.0023 kWh per foot (2.3 wH per foot of distance traveled) - 3 kWh can run a home microwave for about 3 hours or take a Taycan GT 1/4 mile in 9.25 seconds - your choice ;-)

Taycan GT's battery is 97 kWh net capacity according to Porsche - so 3 kWh / 97 kWh = 3.09% - I'l round that up and call it 5% per-run - 10 runs like this should put you in the range of 30-50% battery depending on circumstances and consume 50-60% battery for 10 runs - I'm confident in the 5% or less number because there will be some power recovered slowing down from the 1/4 mile run @ 242.67 kph due to Taycan's excellent regeneration - 5% for the 1/4 mile run at full power is a conservative estimate and it might be slightly less in real world.

NOTE: 3 kWh is normally about 10-12 miles of highway range for Taycan - so using 3 kWh for a 1/4 mile jaunt is very high consumption - so the numbers make some sense - but this is all back of the envelope math - but it is math and I've added generous buffers - at least 10 runs down to 10% and you'll then spend 20'ish minutes at a fast charging station to get back to 80% battery charge - basically park the car - plug it in - walk away - do a bio break, get a snack, collect your 1/4 mile time slips - talk with some buddies and come back to the car and you'll be pushing 80% or more for at least another 10 runs…

I'd be unsurprised if performance once below 20% SOC doesn't drop off - but I'd expect with Porsche performance would be constant until at least 30/40% battery.

Taycan gen2 net battey is 97 kWh - gross being 105 kWh according to porsche - 105 kW is about equivalent amount of power of 3.1 gallons of gasoline - so you can do either 15+ 1/4 full power runs or about 310 miles of highway driving with your 97 kWh net capacity - all for the same amount of energy in about 3 gallons of gas.

Spoiler

them's the number's as I figure - I welcome data driven corrrections.

See Porsche's charging metrics below from the Technical information section of the Prosche USA website.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-08-2024 at 05:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cavemanmoore (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 07:17 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cavemanmoore
If the Taycan Turbo GT does this, what will the 992.2 Turbo S be like?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeEl1JrF_50
turns out we don't need my math or reasonable speculation - it's all there in the video if you know where to look! I am however a bit smug and pleased that my estimates aren't too far off observed data from the video - the internet can rip me as they see fit -

battery percentage is visible in this video - before launch 95% - then at the very very end of the video last frame - I'm gonna say 92% based on the partial frame - that matches my math/estimates of 3% without my fudge factors and is consumption for a full 1/2 mile full power launch…

439 km is estimated range on the vehicle prior to launch
video ends with a 431 km estimated range - having consumed enough power in 1/2 mile for 8 km of normal driving

it's look as though it's approximately 2-3% battery for a 1/4 - 1/2 mile full launch

battery temp is up by 1C - so that's no problem in terms of thermals - Taycan could do many launches back to back based on these observed numbers - 2-3% per launch - means 20+ launches is 60% battery capacity.

based on the data from this video - which I think lines up with my math pretty well - I'm pretty please with the estimates I did in #16 matching the dash board data - 3% is a reasonable budget for a 1/4 mile run - and it turns out my math was pessimistic - but I was upfront about that in my analysis - if 3% turns out to be true that means a 95% battery down to 10% could do 85 / 3 = 28 launches before running out of 'juice" - I'm fairly confident the battery thermal won't be taxed either with only a 1C rise in temp for the demo video - plenty of time between launch for battery thermals to bring down the 1C temp rise - battery-capacity/tires will be the main "limits" on how much you can do this in a Taycan

Taycan gen1 was limitedon power once you hit 15% battery - still plenty fast - but you no longer have 'full' power - and you need some battery to get to the fast charger.

can a 911 TTS do 28 full power launches in a row with out needing a 18 minute break - which is what would be required to recharge the Taycan's battery to 80% (allowing another 23 1/4 mile runs back down to 10% battery) - I want to honestly know? Fuel consumption for a 1/4 mile full power run? 28 1/4 mile runs in one battery cycle is a LOT of drag racing IMHO.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-07-2024 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-09-2024, 03:41 PM
ER911S
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 136 Posts

We have unfortunately come to the age where electric cars are quicker and faster in a straight line. The rest is just noise. Get used to it. For the majority of TTS owners, they are blessed enough to be able to own both so let's celebrate this new age of technology.
I can't wait to be able to buy a Taycan GT in 2 years from now at half MRSP
Bluehighways (08-12-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 03:59 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ER911S
We have unfortunately come to the age where electric cars are quicker and faster in a straight line. The rest is just noise. Get used to it. For the majority of TTS owners, they are blessed enough to be able to own both so let's celebrate this new age of technology.
TIFIFY

weight will come down over time and battery tech improves - that's the trend - so eventually you'll have the instant torque, more HP, better control over the power, and equal or less weight…I look forward to where we'll be in 5, 10, 15 years as this evolves…

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-09-2024 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-11-2024, 02:42 PM
absent
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by L76
How many times can the Taycan Turbo GT (or any eCar) repeat these acceleration numbers before the battery requires a recharge? And how long does it take for a full recharge? Just curious.

cheers,
L76
Full charge, from 20% to a 100 took about 4-5 hours in my garage (220v), overnight so car was always fully charged in the morning.
No long trips, only daily commuting or going to dinner.
Had a Plaid in 2021 for about 6 months as daily, traded in for M5 CS that finally arrived.
Acceleration from stop is crazy and may be nauseating to some, true, it was not the best thing about that car though (IMO).
Instant, maximum torque, always available, always there, on our busy tollways, when a small gap opens, you don't have to wait for your transmission to downshift, you don't need to be in the sweet spot, just step on it and you are already where you wanted to be, before anyone around you even realizes what happened and the usual a-holes who speed up to block you, only look in confusion how and when did you manage to get in front of them.
That was the best thing about Plaid, for me at least.
Have the new S63e at this time and really like it, really does not feel as heavy as it is, probably best AMG I ever had (and had them all in the past 30 years).
Taycan Turbo GT (not Weissach) is coming late in August and will trade the S for it, hopefully would not be sorry about it......
le rafiot (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 03:05 PM
absent
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ER911S
I agree, resale on these cars is horrible but to be honest almost all cars are bad in that regard with some small and rare exceptions.
Had the early Plaid and after 6 months and 5k miles got 100% of my money back, same in case of M5 CS.
My wife's GTC4 Lusso though, after a year and 6k miles went from $365k to $200K back in 2019 (trade in value, I just don't want to deal with selling private, too much hassle).
I am picking up a Turbo GT later this month and as you mentioned, I am aware I would lose a lot but at 65 I just don't feel I would want to wait 2 years to get a steal of a deal.
Life is short and in the end my kids would just inherit a little bit less then they would, have I chosen to forgo my gratification for later.
daveo4porsche (08-13-2024)
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM
Ensoniq
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

More power to you guys embracing electric. ive thought about the Tesla roadster but that seems to only be a theoretical car.

until I put up a separate garage a few 100 feet from the main house I’ll remain a spectator. Too much fear of a Car-Ba-Cue
Angryinch (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 235 Posts

No fake Tubo cars here,

Quick Reply: Taycan Turbo GT 1/4 Mile