Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Carbon fiber wrap

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 08:15 PM
rmrmd1956
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by f4bones
You can get a nice, used OEM carbon roof for under $5,000 - probably $1500 to install - maybe a little more, but then you have the OEM setup. I just received a set of China carbon mirror caps to evaluate - they were $340 delivered and look really nice. I haven't installed them yet to test out fittement, but they look nearly identical to the factory ones, and for a low-cost option, these might be worth a try . . .https://www.ebay.com/itm/224797807660

BTW, I made a best offer of $300 and they accepted w/ $40 shipping.
Those look pretty good, but I wanted the upper caps, lower caps, stock and base in CF, hard to find. Please let me know how they look once fitted, thanks
Old 06-28-2024, 11:32 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,265 Likes on 2,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Shogunade
Speaking of which. Anyone know what it would entail to install a CF roof? Would the windshield have to come off? Hypothetically this would be a slick top.
@f4bones can probably tell you, he’s done a roof swap on a project 992 car.

edit: didn’t realize he already chimed in.

Last edited by shrimp money; 06-28-2024 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2024, 11:53 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,252 Likes on 492 Posts

As far as the carbon mirror bottoms, the only source I know of for those is DB carbon - I ordered 3 sets from them in January and I still haven't received them. DB parts are amazing and beautiful, but their lead times are getting longer and longer. Worth the wait for me as I have several projects underway and don't need them right now, but I'd count on 6 months if you place an order with DB. They told me they are trying to staff up, but difficult like it is everywhere.

For the mirror caps, by far the best option is to get the Porsche Accessory package, which includes the carbon caps and the unpainted lower parts - PN 992 044 817 D is around $1,300 (D PN is with cameras, B is folding mirrors, and no letter is manual w/ no cameras). However, the china ones look pretty darn good, and I'll be surprised if they don't fit perfectly. When I put the side by side with the factory, I can't tell the difference. . . see below - Guess which one is factory and which one is Chineesium.

Old 06-28-2024, 11:57 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Speaking of carbon, I just received today this amazing wheel from Protechparts - the quality is off the charts. Really beautiful work! I'm glad they finally decided to do the OEM wheels with partial carbon wrap - just ordered a second one for my TTS as well. He custom painted the stripe in GT Silver to match the car - for my TTS wheel I stuck with the racing yellow stripe to match stitching. . . amazing. Thanks Protechparts.eu!!

Last edited by f4bones; 06-29-2024 at 12:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JPJRJR70 (07-17-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 03:54 AM
kbkevin74
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Vendors

I’ve been researching getting more carbon fiber for my tts because I got factory cf roof and mirrors and trims plus sport design are package when I specked it out but I want a carbon fiber front splitter and rear spoiler and diffuser as well as side air intakes in carbon fiber and in addition to DC CARBON you should check out CTCARBON, vivid racing and ahcarbon. They all have good carbon fiber selections for the 992 tts even ones with aero which is rare. Let us know what you go with.
Old 07-15-2024, 10:10 PM
rmrmd1956
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kbkevin74
I’ve been researching getting more carbon fiber for my tts because I got factory cf roof and mirrors and trims plus sport design are package when I specked it out but I want a carbon fiber front splitter and rear spoiler and diffuser as well as side air intakes in carbon fiber and in addition to DC CARBON you should check out CTCARBON, vivid racing and ahcarbon. They all have good carbon fiber selections for the 992 tts even ones with aero which is rare. Let us know what you go with.
So I scrapped the carbon fiber wrap idea and bought the Chinese mirror caps that f4bones suggested and rear wing from https://karbonization.com, haven’t got them yet but another thread said dbcarbon lays carbon fiber over the stock plastic parts (carbon fiber skinning). Does anyone know if this is true? If I remove my plastic pieces is there a company that could do the same for less?

Last edited by rmrmd1956; 07-15-2024 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-15-2024, 10:20 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,163 Posts

Originally Posted by rmrmd1956
So I scrapped the carbon fiber wrap idea and bought the Chinese mirror caps that f4bones suggested and rear wing from https://karbonization.com, haven’t got them yet but another thread said dbcarbon lays carbon fiber over the stock plastic parts (carbon fiber skinning). Does anyone know if this is true? If I remove my plastic pieces is there a company that could do the same for less?
It is true. DB Carbon skins oem pieces. I'm sure you could find someone who does this as a hobby/side hustle to get the cost down as it does get spendy, but are you willing to go through all that trouble at the chance of it not coming out well?
Old 08-06-2024, 10:14 PM
rmrmd1956
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=f4bones;19521010]As far as the carbon mirror bottoms, the only source I know of for those is DB carbon - I ordered 3 sets from them in January and I still haven't received them. DB parts are amazing and beautiful, but their lead times are getting longer and longer. Worth the wait for me as I have several projects underway and don't need them right now, but I'd count on 6 months if you place an order with DB. They told me they are trying to staff up, but difficult like it is everywhere.

For the mirror caps, by far the best option is to get the Porsche Accessory package, which includes the carbon caps and the unpainted lower parts - PN 992 044 817 D is around $1,300 (D PN is with cameras, B is folding mirrors, and no letter is manual w/ no cameras). However, the china ones look pretty darn good, and I'll be surprised if they don't fit perfectly. When I put the side by side with the factory, I can't tell the difference. . . see below - Guess which one is factory and which one is Chineesium.

So website for porsche 992 044 817 B mirror kit says:
“Includes two new exterior mirrors with carbon upper trims. Paintable lower trims and mirror feet in black (high-gloss) or in exterior color”
So lower trim is unpainted plastic? and for the base you can select high-gloss black or my exterior color? Seems odd, my exterior color is Dolomite Silver, currently a PTS color for the 911, am I understanding this correctly? Sorry for all the dumb questions.
Old 08-06-2024, 10:25 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

If you purchase the carbon mirror kit referenced above, it includes the OEM top caps - all the other pieces are unpainted plastic, and you would need to paint them to match. Even if you don't need to the bottom pieces, this is the least expensive way to purchase the OEM top caps. The Chinese ones are pretty good, especially at $400, but for me, I'd spend the $1300 for the OEM ones. Nice part about getting the OEM kit is you can have the parts painted without taking off the mirrors - IE take the bottom pieces to the paint shop, and once done, you can swap everything out without taking your car down. If you get the China caps, and want to paint the bottoms, you car will be down while you paint your original pieces. . .

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber wrap