Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

992 TT(S) Track Build?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 04:57 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,914 Likes on 5,192 Posts

I would get the TT with PCCBs and the Lightweight Pkg.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:57 PM
L76
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Pathy
If you replace the stock Turbochargers with an upgrade, supposedly the TT engine is otherwise fundamentally identical to a TTS, so a Turbo-upgraded TT is the same as a Turbo-upgraded TTS.

What I want to know is - are the steel brakes superior to the PCCBs for track driving? I don't do much of that, but that is what I gather from some comments on here.
Both TT and TTS are good platforms for track cars, but it seems the choice comes down to:

PCCB or not
PDCC or not

L76
Old 03-10-2024, 07:53 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,163 Likes on 685 Posts

The composite brakes do not last long if the car is used for heavy track use. Most guys run steel brakes for this reason. They are $$$ to replace.
Old 03-10-2024, 11:33 PM
L76
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch
The composite brakes do not last long if the car is used for heavy track use. Most guys run steel brakes for this reason. They are $$$ to replace.
Starting track season (TTS is my DD so this is a dual purpose car) — looking at a track package comprising:
tires
wheels
rotors
pads
running stage 2 mods on 91/93

guess I’ll have to live with the PDCC… this was my only reason for TT over TTS (as I plan on running the PCCBs only on road). Just “got over it” and bought the TTS anyway. Anyone got ideas how to turn it off/delete on TTS? 🤣

Cheers,
L76
Old 03-11-2024, 12:08 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 493 Posts

I wouldn't bother with the steel brakes - if you change the pads at 50%, the carbon disks will last a very long time, and you have the benefit of lower weight and better (arguably) performance - plus you don't have the go through the hassle of swapping them. For replacements, I just bought a complete "conversion" kit for my GT3 for $17K - that includes the rotors, pads and calipers! I've also heard good things about the Surface Transforms replacement disks . . .

​​​​​​https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...92gt3pccb.html
Old 03-12-2024, 08:49 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,448 Likes on 2,531 Posts

I tracked my 992 TTS. If you replace the pads at 50%, they last less than 2 track days. For me, that’s a dealbreaker in terms of hassle and cost. My understanding is that iron rotor conversion is not currently available for these brakes. So if the car will be tracked, I think it has to be TT with regular brakes, which is unfortunate because I love the feel of PCCB.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:01 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,354 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by L76
I vacillated on this when deciding TTS vs. TT on my build. wrt to 70hp... that can be overcome with tune/turbos/etc. right? wrt to PCCB - is this your preference (?) as performance differences ($$ aside) between PCCB and iron rotors from what I have seen is still open to the jury. I've seen arguments both ways. As for PDCC... there's no way to "turn it off" in the TTS. Assuming your conclusion is that it is a performance degradation? Any ideas of performance degradation of PDCC equipped vs. non equipped?

Thx,
L76
Yes, turbo upgrade and tune would equal TT-S power potential. But I want to maintain factory warranty, so this is a no-go for me. Both my turbos and wastegates had to replaced last spring, I am sure glad it was covered.

PCCB do not offer a meaningful braking performance advantage over iron rotors with track pads. All reliable info I have seen this far shows that PCCB rotors wear about just as fast as iron rotors with track use. With the higher cost of PCCB pads and rotors, it significantly increases consumable costs. If the different feel and unsprung mass reduction are worth the extra cost, it is up to you.

I’ve read reports from pro-drivers that say that PDCC makes the handling less predictable at the limit, particularly over bumps or curbs.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 03-12-2024 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:33 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

if priority is purity of feel while driving on track, i think way to go is a carrera t and then upgrade turbos to 550hp. thats basically a rwd tt with option of stick shift too. lots of youtube videos of these turbo swaps and seem pretty straight forward
Old 03-15-2024, 03:42 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
if priority is purity of feel while driving on track, i think way to go is a carrera t and then upgrade turbos to 550hp. thats basically a rwd tt with option of stick shift too. lots of youtube videos of these turbo swaps and seem pretty straight forward
Not if one wants to retain warranty. I purposely buy new cars to track because of the warranty, and that strategy has served me very well over the last 25 years of doing so. Further, the -T has a much softer suspension than the turbo, so that would have to be modified too.

I did not get a chance to drive a -T on track, but I did drive a base C4, a stock -S, a modified -S, a LW GTS, a 4-GTS and obviously my own TT. Of all those, I find my TT to be the most entertaining to drive on track. The next level up for track fun IMO are GT2/3.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 03-16-2024 at 12:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Pad Bender (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 10:56 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Yes, turbo upgrade and tune would equal TT-S power potential. But I want to maintain factory warranty, so this is a no-go for me. Both my turbos and wastegates had to replaced last spring, I am sure glad it was covered.

PCCB do not offer a meaningful braking performance advantage over iron rotors with track pads. All reliable info I have seen this far shows that PCCB rotors wear about just as fast as iron rotors with track use. With the higher cost of PCCB pads and rotors, it significantly increases consumable costs. If the different feel and unsprung mass reduction are worth the extra cost, it is up to you.

I’ve read reports from pro-drivers that say that PDCC makes the handling less predictable at the limit, particularly over bumps or curbs.
Curious what exactly was wrong with the waste gates and turbos on a fairly new car??
Old 03-16-2024, 12:56 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Curious what exactly was wrong with the waste gates and turbos on a fairly new car??
On a very cold morning, when I started the car, the waste gates made a screeching sound at the end of the cold start sequence. From then on, I got an intermittent check engine light. In the spring, when I brought the car in for service, I asked that they check for faults regarding the check engine light. They said it was due to faulty waste gates and that Porsche had a new part number. When they attempted to remove the waste gates, they stripped the threads in the turbos and therefore also needed to replace the turbos.
Old 03-16-2024, 01:26 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
On a very cold morning, when I started the car, the waste gates made a screeching sound at the end of the cold start sequence. From then on, I got an intermittent check engine light. In the spring, when I brought the car in for service, I asked that they check for faults regarding the check engine light. They said it was due to faulty waste gates and that Porsche had a new part number. When they attempted to remove the waste gates, they stripped the threads in the turbos and therefore also needed to replace the turbos.

Makes sense, thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: 992 TT(S) Track Build?