Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Exhaust recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 09:00 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 634 Likes on 345 Posts

I changed cats before I ever tuned and never got a CE light so, I think it depends on the cat. I use Kline. As far as catless, I have had this discussion many times. The 200 and 100 cell cats flow something like 95% and 96% and well as a straight pipe, so unless you are looking for that extra 1hp (or whatever) there is no reason to go straight pipe. The negatives I found with straight pipes are the strong smell of raw gas in my garage after going for any drive. The 100% chance of throwing a CE light without a tune. The insanely loud sound (especially at cold start) with straight pipes and the fact that they are ILLEGAL in all 50 states, but that is the least of my concerns
Old 12-13-2023, 09:01 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,814 Likes on 1,507 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
...Just changing the cats may be enough sound and increase in power to just stop right there...
This was absolutely true on my 991 Turbo S... I had run at least 7 different permutations of exhausts and cats (or bypasses), and while I settled on a Soul exhaust with cat bypass, my second favorite was just the stock exhaust with cat bypass.

I'd also suggest trying to listen/drive as many combos as you can in person! Combos that others have loved on their cars were absolutely not for me, and likely vice versa. Likewise, youtube videos are largely useless IMHO for determining if you will like an exhaust.

Given the extremely high cost of many of these setups, it might be worth investing a bit of travel budget into hearing some in person before you buy something that you potentially won't love.
Old 12-13-2023, 09:03 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Shogunade
IDK if it's your verbiage or not,, but a center replacement alone will not cause any CELs. Changing cats will more than likely throw CELs according to my understanding for > MY2021.
Who on earth spends all that money to change the center muffler and doesnt change the cats? Whether it's the cats alone or the cats in conjunction with the muffler delete, everyone I know gets a CEL when changing over the exhaust, EVERYONE. Thats why I asked to see if anyone who has done it on 992 TTS has experienced this. Anyone in the NY area with a TTS that has changed their exhaust I would love to get a listen or drive along. The drone has kept me away from even considering changing the muffler section. Wont do that again...
Old 12-13-2023, 09:14 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,926 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Who on earth spends all that money to change the center muffler and doesnt change the cats? Whether it's the cats alone or the cats in conjunction with the muffler delete, everyone I know gets a CEL when changing over the exhaust, EVERYONE. Thats why I asked to see if anyone who has done it on 992 TTS has experienced this. Anyone in the NY area with a TTS that has changed their exhaust I would love to get a listen or drive along. The drone has kept me away from even considering changing the muffler section. Wont do that again...
I've changed out just the center coupled with a valve controller. The reason I changed out the exhaust was per poll answers from fellow rennlisters who said the car would be louder with exhaust change vs cat change. It should be noted this was for a 992 GTS.

I moved the parts over to my current TTS and feel it's not as loud. Could be in my head. So I'm currently debating cats.

Old 12-14-2023, 09:38 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 486 Posts

I have Kline exhaust and headers in inconel, catless, screams when you get on it
Old 12-14-2023, 10:09 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hcvone
I have Kline exhaust and headers in inconel, catless, screams when you get on it

Ah, but is there any drone? Be honest. My last Kline exhaust had drone around 2500 RPM range.
Old 12-14-2023, 10:54 AM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 648 Posts

If you change cats I state..."eventually you may get a CEL sometimes"...992s are sensitive creatures. My first one came after months when pulling hard in frigid weather.

Fear not...the rewards are great.

Old 12-14-2023, 11:57 AM
Beherit
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I have the IPE Titanium exhaust with 200 cell cats, with the valves open there is a tad bit of drone around 2500 but it isn't bad enough for me to complain about it, with them closed there is none.
Old 12-14-2023, 03:10 PM
Engro
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 162 Posts

anyone who says their favorite brand of aftermarket exhaust/CAT does not drone is not being truthful since they all do. even stock has drone albeit very small. tuned out the CEL on my car after concluding there is no other way. i used to carry a small scanner to clear the CEL but it was getting a bit much to do it every few days. Even with tune i still get CEL if i track the car hard and once i let the car cool down and clear the CEL everything goes back to normal. as others indicated the 992 is just way too sensitive after adding exhaust + CAT.
Old 12-15-2023, 02:01 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 965 Likes on 587 Posts

Hi all. If anyone would like to give Kline a shot we are proud to be their largest stocking dealer world-wide and offer Rennlist specials. We have several options in stock from sound/performance level to material and catalytic section options. Even carbon tips and we pride ourselves on our FULL guarantee and customer support

All the best and happy holidays!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 12-15-2023 at 02:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust recommendations