Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Exhaust recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 09:58 AM
Minisoda
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Exhaust recommendations

My TTS gets built in a few weeks and doing some exhaust planning. There are SOOO many threads that it would take forever to read, so was hoping to get feedback on my specific requirements:

- need to keep the factory warranty in place
- this car already has crazy power, but I have no problem adding more
- cats or anything else installed purely for emissions purposes needs to go
- I don’t hate the PSE but it’s a little boring
- don’t want obnoxiously loud
- need to keep the valves in place

Point me in the right direction!
Old 12-13-2023, 10:39 AM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 648 Posts

JCR Titanium Valved Centre with Sport Cats...done.

https://jcr-developments.com/product...lved-race-cats

The following users liked this post:
Minisoda (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 11:02 AM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

akrapovic
Old 12-13-2023, 11:43 AM
mrjbb7
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 47 Posts

I have the GMG exhaust with 200 cell sport cats from them, sounds amazing. TONS of compliments. 31lbs lighter than OEM and adds HP/TQ and NO CEL.

https://shop.gmgracing.com/products/...exhaust-system

EDIT: Just noticed you needed valves to work, this system removes the use of your valves but it doesn't trigger a CEL.

Last edited by mrjbb7; 12-13-2023 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:00 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

GMG does sound really good. All of these are great well engineered options.
mrjbb7 (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 01:01 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

We do a lot of Soul Performance and Akrapovic. Meets all your standards!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
BC Forged / Soul Performance / Akrapovic / Bilstein / HRE / AL13 / CSF + more

Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Old 12-13-2023, 02:54 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,095 Likes on 653 Posts

I really like Soul, they have a true 3” exhaust and x pipe.

Not sure if they keep the valve though, mine is deleted, hate that thing.
mrjbb7 (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 02:56 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 634 Likes on 345 Posts

You are going to get a lot of answers and opinions so I will give you mine...

All the major mod guys agree that the headers on these cars are optimal, so no need to touch them unless you are changing the entire exhaust.
CATS are the single biggest improvement you will get in both sound and power. Just changing the cats may be enough sound and increase in power to just stop right there.
Muffler and exhaust replacement will shed some weight, will increase the sound and will increase the power but only marginally. Meaning you may spend 5k to change out that muffler/exhaust to gain maybe 10hp.

What you will most certainly get if you change the muffler/exhaust is DRONE. This is the only reason why I chose not to change it. The drone ruins the entire driving experience for me. Once I hear it I focus on it and become obsessed with it. I get annoyed and headaches so I wont do any mod that introduces drone at any RPM. You will also require a tune because you will get a check engine light from the new exhaust.

200 cell cats, no drone, no CE light, no tune required. Best bang for your buck with power and sound. One caveat.. Choose the cat that matches the exhaust if you think you may want to go down that road. Buying a Kline cat (for example) wont work with an Akrapovic exhaust. I chose Kline because I have had good experience with them and would swap out the exhaust for Kline and have the correct cats already..

Last edited by PTS-BRG; 12-13-2023 at 03:01 PM.
Pad Bender (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 03:24 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Drone is definitely a fun killer. Zero issues with the JCR combo. I also appreciate how quiet it can be under stable throttle with valves closed. Conference call friendly.

Cold start is more aggressive with race cats (even more with tune) but I usually make a quick exit to appease neighbours.
Old 12-13-2023, 03:30 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Never heard an aftermarket exhaust that didn’t drone in all my years. If I could hear your exhaust and verify I would buy it in a hot second. I suggest anyone looking to change their exhaust listen to one on their exact model before buying. Once you buy it it’s too late.

as far as cold start, I finally had M engineering remove the cold start so now it’s not stupid loud on start up. I found that the reason for this to begin with was to warm up the cats to help with emissions. M engineering also claims this adds power so I did it for that reason as well.
Old 12-13-2023, 04:40 PM
mrjbb7
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
Drone is definitely a fun killer. Zero issues with the JCR combo. I also appreciate how quiet it can be under stable throttle with valves closed. Conference call friendly.

Cold start is more aggressive with race cats (even more with tune) but I usually make a quick exit to appease neighbours.
I agree I HATE drone. No issues with my GMG exhaust with 200 Cell sport cats. Though my cold start is LOUD, I don't appease the neighbors and let it sit lol Probably should start making quicker exits
Old 12-13-2023, 05:26 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,926 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
You are going to get a lot of answers and opinions so I will give you mine...

All the major mod guys agree that the headers on these cars are optimal, so no need to touch them unless you are changing the entire exhaust.
CATS are the single biggest improvement you will get in both sound and power. Just changing the cats may be enough sound and increase in power to just stop right there.
Muffler and exhaust replacement will shed some weight, will increase the sound and will increase the power but only marginally. Meaning you may spend 5k to change out that muffler/exhaust to gain maybe 10hp.

What you will most certainly get if you change the muffler/exhaust is DRONE. This is the only reason why I chose not to change it. The drone ruins the entire driving experience for me. Once I hear it I focus on it and become obsessed with it. I get annoyed and headaches so I wont do any mod that introduces drone at any RPM. You will also require a tune because you will get a check engine light from the new exhaust.

200 cell cats, no drone, no CE light, no tune required. Best bang for your buck with power and sound. One caveat.. Choose the cat that matches the exhaust if you think you may want to go down that road. Buying a Kline cat (for example) wont work with an Akrapovic exhaust. I chose Kline because I have had good experience with them and would swap out the exhaust for Kline and have the correct cats already..
This is just plain incorrect.

In the 992 you'll get no CEL with any of the reputable makes. Flat 6 did an extensive video series on exhausts for the C and you can listen for yourself if you hear any kind of drone.

Any CELs you may get would come from aftermarket cats.

There is also debate from which you'll get more of a sound difference. Some say exhaust, some say cats.
Old 12-13-2023, 06:12 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Plain incorrect? Now you’ve got my attention..

Since there are dozens of guys on this forum who have changed their exhausts, can some of you chime in and let us know if you got a check engine light error or if you had to get a tune in order to have it disappear?

Ive never spoken to anyone who did a full exhaust change that didn’t get a CE light error that either had to install 02 sensors to trick the car or get a tune in order to remove the error. Not getting an error with a full exhaust swap is something I don’t think is even possible but anxious to learn if it is. Thx
Old 12-13-2023, 06:47 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,926 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Plain incorrect? Now you’ve got my attention..

Since there are dozens of guys on this forum who have changed their exhausts, can some of you chime in and let us know if you got a check engine light error or if you had to get a tune in order to have it disappear?

Ive never spoken to anyone who did a full exhaust change that didn’t get a CE light error that either had to install 02 sensors to trick the car or get a tune in order to remove the error. Not getting an error with a full exhaust swap is something I don’t think is even possible but anxious to learn if it is. Thx
IDK if it's your verbiage or not,, but a center replacement alone will not cause any CELs. Changing cats will more than likely throw CELs according to my understanding for > MY2021.
Old 12-13-2023, 08:26 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,095 Likes on 653 Posts

With DI and closed loop these cars burn pretty clean at idle, very very little in the way of fumes. Ive barely noticed it. FYI - Re no cats. Ps, the sounds is phenomenal without cats

Quick Reply: Exhaust recommendations