Old 11-13-2023, 12:07 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Steering wheel and weissach paddles UPGRADE GUIDE turbo s gts etc

Hello.

I made some guides to help people or technicians disassemble the steering wheels on the latest generation and upgrade either the Weissach magnetic paddles or the carbon fiber trim or move all the components to a new core.This guides will make it easy for anyone from DIY to dealers or tehnicians to they are know exactly what they doing

1. To Upgrade to a Carbon Fiber Trim Cover

1. Take steering wheel off the car (plenty of guides on Youtube).
2. Take all the 5 screws off from the backside of the steering wheel, 2 on the paddles, 3 on the plastic cover.
3. Use a plastic tool and remove the back plastic cover; they come clipped with the front cover, so use the plastic tool between them and at corners.
4. Remove the 4 bigger screws holding the front cover frame.
5. Unscrew the 2 screws holding the chrono drive button; only unscrew a bit until it becomes loose but don't remove, just so the cover frame can be removed.
6. Push the front cover frame from the backside with your fingers until it's removed.
7. Install the new carbon cover frame and install back in reverse steps 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
8. Done

JOB TIME ESTIMATE DIY: 35min

2. To Upgrade to a New Steering Wheel Core. Example: Race-Tex Core + Carbon Fiber Trim Upgrade

1. Take the steering wheel off the car (plenty of guides on Youtube).
2. Take all the 5 screws off from the backside of the steering wheel, 2 on the paddles, 3 on the plastic cover.
3. Use a plastic tool and remove the back plastic cover; they come clipped with the front cover, so use the plastic tool between them and at corners.
4. Remove the 4 bigger screws holding the front cover frame.
5. Remove the 2 screws holding the chrono drive button.
6. Push the front cover frame from the backside with your fingers until it's removed.
7. Remove control buttons' small screws from the backside.
8. Remove the small back screw on the backside of the steering wheel that is holding the control unit module.
9. Remove the 4 big screws from the metal contact plate, unplug the little horn wire from it and take the plate out.
10. Remove the small U metal shape from the 4 columns.
11. Remove the 4 screws from the 2 metal brackets that are holding the controls/buttons.
12. Unplug the controls/buttons from the brackets, remove the brackets from the steering wheel.
13. Unplug the control unit from the center of the steering wheel.
14. Take the complete electric kit out now, buttons+control unit+harness+chrono buttons, NO NEED to unplug any wires etc., just take it as it is and put it on the table.
15. Now the steering wheel is empty but we still have to move the airbag 4 plastic parts. For this, please mark a stripe with a colored marker at 12 o'clock on every one of the four plastic brackets. I guess this is the trickiest part of the job. Use a tubular key or just a good pair of pliers to hold the black plastic cover in place, and on the backside of the steering wheel, you will see they are held in with torx screws. ATTENTION: screw to the RIGHT side to unscrew them. ATTENTION: Remove 1 by 1 and install on the new steering wheel so it's easier and faster so we don't lose or forget positions.
16. Now you need to install the black plastic brackets to the new steering wheel. For this, we will hold them as they were on the old steering wheel, and we will pay attention to the 12 o'clock marker we painted on them and install them on the same exact spots they were before and all with the marker in the same position.
17. Now here's a TIP to not waste any time. Take the metal contact plate we took out at step 9 and test it on the black plastic brackets. It has to slide up and down on them. Tweak them left or right if needed and then screw them tight.
18. Move the fabrics that are glued to the old steering wheel to the new one. You will find many all over the steering wheel; those help the cover frames clip one to another. Not really important but best to move those also.
19. Now it's all done, and you can reverse install 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
20. Job done.

JOB TIME ESTIMATE DIY: 50-70min

3. To Upgrade the Paddle Shifters to WEISSACH Magnetic Paddles

1. Take steering wheel off the car (plenty of guides on Youtube).
2. Remove the 2 screws holding the paddle shifters from the backside of the steering wheel.
3. Remove paddle shifters connectors.
4. Before installing the new Weissach magnetic paddles MAKE SURE you have the rubber o-rings installed on them; if not, just move them from the old paddles. These are important as they don't permit the paddles to wobble and distort the click sound.
5. Plug the connectors back to the paddles; wire harness may seem short but they fit ok. Install paddles on both sides.
6. Screw back the screws on the paddles tight.
7. Install back on the car.
8. Job Done.

Badges on the frames can be replaced also as the center part of the cover frames.Use a small dremel or tool to grind the plastic solders and glue back in with a good fast 2-part glue.

A video guide i found to replace the paddles

JOB TIME ESTIMATE DIY: 20min
```
Attached Images    
The following 2 users liked this post by ProtechpartsEU:
eclou (11-13-2023), Freddy (03-13-2024)
Old 11-19-2023, 03:27 AM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We are now able to assemble steering wheels according to VIN to fit plug and play.If anyone needs any help message us.

SPECIAL DISCOUNT on NEW WEISSACH magnetic paddles available 19.11.23-15.12.23 for Rennlist users
DISCOUNT CODE:SANTARENNLIST
Old 11-23-2023, 10:35 AM
grahampeterm
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Great addition to my TurboS

The following 2 users liked this post by grahampeterm:
Freddy (03-13-2024), heshalosny (12-24-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 10:39 AM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by grahampeterm
Great addition to my TurboS

We got more in stock and now all prices on all items reduced untill the end of the year.Black friday start,steering wheels reduced by 200usd.
The following users liked this post:
Freddy (03-13-2024)
Old 11-23-2023, 02:24 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 970 Likes on 583 Posts

How much are the shifters?
Old 11-23-2023, 02:39 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Angryinch
How much are the shifters?
you can find them on our site at discounted prices untill the end of the year
Old 11-24-2023, 04:52 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Profesionall way to replace steering wheels

-battery terminal off to avoid airbag errors and reset.Put wheels in straight line,remove airbag.Remove screw,mark 12 o clock with a thin fine paint marker.Install new steering wheel.Do this steps after you tested new steering wheel and everything is ok with it so no more installs needed.
Order a new screw for the steering wheel before this and a blue loctite glue for screws.Install new screw with loctite like in the photo.Use a profesionall socket torque with still a good black impact spline head.Max torque maybe 36ft/lbs max not sure,should be in service manuals a good mechanic from porsche can answer this.After installing new steering wheel take the car directly to a workshop or dealer to do a laser wheel alligment.This makes sure new steering wheel and wheels in perfect harmony.Thats all.

Extra info:screw is about 7-10usd,loctite glue 6-7usd
Part nr for screw attached also
Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2023, 04:14 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 741 Likes on 305 Posts

Several sources have told me there are after market Weissach paddles available for purchase - particularly in Europe. What is the porsche part number for the paddles you sell and is this imprinted on the actual paddles you sell?

my porsche dealer said they won’t install them if they are not an oem official Porsche part.

still even if not oem / might be worth getting the discount - as perhaps they are coming from the same supplier that makes the paddles for Porsche.
Old 12-11-2023, 04:23 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Targa32
Several sources have told me there are after market Weissach paddles available for purchase - particularly in Europe. What is the porsche part number for the paddles you sell and is this imprinted on the actual paddles you sell?

my porsche dealer said they won’t install them if they are not an oem official Porsche part.

still even if not oem / might be worth getting the discount - as perhaps they are coming from the same supplier that makes the paddles for Porsche.

No afternarket on these only genuine.We get them from contacts in Cz where they make them.All have part nr on them you can see on our site.Ordering from dealer is also available but they put you in wait about a month.
Old 12-12-2023, 10:50 AM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

My Porsche dealer service dept manager told me they would not install the paddles if they were not factory parts and had the correct Porsche part number on the paddles. I will take a look at the paddles you sent me and find the part number per your comment below and I will post the cost to install quotes to me. They did say they could install them while I wait. The dealer service manager wants my GT3’s vin number and the part number on the part.
Old 12-12-2023, 11:11 AM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

My Porsche dealer service dept manager told me they would not install the paddles if they were not factory parts and had the correct Porsche part number on the paddles. I will take a look at the paddles you sent me and find the part number per your comment below and I will post the cost to install quotes to me. They did say they could install them while I wait. The dealer service manager wants my GT3’s vin number and the part number on the part.
Part nr on them are 9GT927197B+9GT927198B and when you want to order they only come as set with code 9GT998540A5Q0
Attached Images   

Last edited by ProtechpartsEU; 12-12-2023 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-14-2023, 01:50 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

the bolt is $19.95 from my local porsche dealer parts department -- not sure if really necessary to replace - but probably good practice.

My Porsche dealer would not replace the stock GT3 paddles with the GT3-RS magnetic paddles because these new paddles are not shown as an official part for the base GT3--- and they went as far to say that if the "wiring" or something were to fail in the steering column that the warranty would not likely apply because of the paddles not being being listed as a part for the base 2024 GT3. Not sure what could go wrong in the steering column or maybe if the buttons on the steering wheel failed probably a good idea to put the original paddles back on the car to avoid any discussions about warranty with your Porsche dealer. I assume POrsche official line is that if you want these magnetic paddles just buy a GT3-RS and you will have them.

My local independent German car repair shop is going to install the magnetic paddles next Wednesday and he thinks it will take him one to two hours and will charge for the time. I am picking up the new bolt from my Porsche dealer myself. Not sure if these bolts are all the same on different year and different models )Winged or touring) but if they are then maybe you could get a supply of the bolts and provide them with the paddles. Maybe the bolt comes also from your source for the paddles.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:00 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

the bolt is $19.95 from my local porsche dealer parts department -- not sure if really necessary to replace - but probably good practice.

My Porsche dealer would not replace the stock GT3 paddles with the GT3-RS magnetic paddles because these new paddles are not shown as an official part for the base GT3--- and they went as far to say that if the "wiring" or something were to fail in the steering column that the warranty would not likely apply because of the paddles not being being listed as a part for the base 2024 GT3. Not sure what could go wrong in the steering column or maybe if the buttons on the steering wheel failed probably a good idea to put the original paddles back on the car to avoid any discussions about warranty with your Porsche dealer. I assume POrsche official line is that if you want these magnetic paddles just buy a GT3-RS and you will have them.

My local independent German car repair shop is going to install the magnetic paddles next Wednesday and he thinks it will take him one to two hours and will charge for the time. I am picking up the new bolt from my Porsche dealer myself. Not sure if these bolts are all the same on different year and different models )Winged or touring) but if they are then maybe you could get a supply of the bolts and provide them with the paddles. Maybe the bolt comes also from your source for the paddles.
Hah 1-2hours payment lol.Most of our clients just change them theirselves,15 min job.When you go to a dealer just change them back.
As for what you are saying is just like on Lamborghini,Aventador doors sistem that go up is like 1.5k but they will never let you install it on Huracan because its a main reason to buy an Aventador.

Paddles on porsche are just a contact button nothing special,we saw on bmw where they have chipsets that are different from one series to another that work on different frequencies.Whats special in the weissach ones is an extra magnetic trigger they added that does the clicking but the actual button inside is next to the magnetic one and is the same as the series ones.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:04 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Also info on that bolt that holds the steering wheel.That bolt goes across all VAG even on Vw or Skoda.Usually good to replace after 2-3 times,more important i would say is some loctite blue glue on it before install.
Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2023, 02:13 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

I will watch some Youtube videos and maybe this Saturday I will try changing the paddles myself -- removing the airbag seems like the difficult part of the installation.
What about buying the new bolt-- do you think this is really necessary?

Quick Reply: Steering wheel and weissach paddles UPGRADE GUIDE turbo s gts etc