3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Added weight.

Slower than 992 TTS

Porsche > Artura
Vocabulary used is wrong. Porsche is “quicker” to 60/100/quarter mile but mclaren is “faster”. Its terminal velocity is higher.

I did several launch control on my TTS. Its absolutely quicker but the problem is in real world, you dont do this. In real world, you are in gear and speed and you floor it. TTS does not take off anywhere near like artura. In a roll racing, TTS wont last. 720S is not even a contest and the 750S I’m ordering probably require that 1100 hp M-Engineering package to keep up (and even then sorry to say but it wont win). 600-700 lbs is too much weight to counter AND its already down on power.

Reading comments here (like chance6), it sounds a lot like myself before the test drive. I said very similar things about mclaren. The test drive completely changed my perspective. Its like you are comparing an F-18 to a cessna superjet. Cesna will have far better fit and finish and quality and F-18 will rattle and squeak, but once you are going its game over. Both in terms
of performance of it but also mentally you wont think about panel gaps or squeaks.
Old 08-29-2023, 09:45 AM
Engro
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 162 Posts

OP was same person complaining about sound, experience and lag in TTS. Pure Straightline speed was garbage then and non-factor until discovery of McLaren . McLaren sound, experience and lag is similar to TTS. Sound is probably worse and lag as well.
Test drive for 30 min is NOT the same experience as owning the car. OP will order the McLaren and have same regret since the car will be exactly the same experience as the TTS. Maybe OP will go on the McLaren forum to complain too who knows.

You thought you lost money on the TTS? Wait until you have to trade in or sell the McLaren . OP should stick to NA cars.
The following users liked this post:
Patton250 (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 09:45 AM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 185 Posts

3-Pedals,
Glad to hear you have found a car you like. I am sure the 750S will be a great car for your intended purpose of speed and handling. I agree with a few others that personally I could not drive a 750S around my area without feeling like a douche bag. (If I lived in Newport Beach I would be ok with it). I actually dislike even driving a 911 in traffic or behind someone going slow on a back road. If I was looking for a track car I'm sure I would take a look at at 750S or used 720S. I have a McLaren dealership within 2 miles of my house so dealer service would not be a issue. Good luck, I look forward to hearing back after you take delivery.
3-Pedals (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 09:57 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Engro
OP was same person complaining about sound, experience and lag in TTS. Pure Straightline speed was garbage then and non-factor until discovery of McLaren . McLaren sound, experience and lag is similar to TTS. Sound is probably worse and lag as well.
Test drive for 30 min is NOT the same experience as owning the car. OP will order the McLaren and have same regret since the car will be exactly the same experience as the TTS. Maybe OP will go on the McLaren forum to complain too who knows.

You thought you lost money on the TTS? Wait until you have to trade in or sell the McLaren . OP should stick to NA cars.
Where do I start? The sound of artura I drove was nothing like my lightweight TTS. Sound was much more mechanical (a lot of valve train noise, very little exhaust), much louder. TTS sounds nothing like Artura. Power of TTS was underwhelming to me in flooring while driving. From stand still, it feels like a jet plane, but while cruising it doesnt pull hard. There was a thread here by “n d” that had a title “this car isnt as fast as advertised” and his comments are pretty spot on.

Above in mind, two comments I want to make :

1) I am not buying the Artura I drove. I am buying a 750S. I never drove 7 series so 7 series might feel much worse than Artura in sound/lag department. I have time sat aside next week to drive a 720S. I will report back here once I do that test drive.

2) I am still getting my PTS TTS. I need a car that can carry 3 people. At this point its probably extremely unnecessary as I wont use TTS in the right manner lol when I’m driving alone and use 750S instead but I am still going to go through with it.

My personal situation is unique and there probably arent a ton of people who would own both TTS and 750S. I just dont think if this is your only car and you want a pure sports car, I would go with TTS. The problem as many here stated, it doesnt feel special. You spend too much money to buy a car that doesnt feel special. If you think it feels special, then you may not have explored all other options. Preowned 720S can be had for less than TTS preowned. Its so obvious a vast majority here never drove a mclaren. I was one of them. The reason for the thread is to share my view (as a person who was so strongly opposed to mclaren), I wouldnt judge a book by its cover.
Old 08-29-2023, 10:08 AM
Billy Bluejay
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Where do I start? The sound of artura I drove was nothing like my lightweight TTS. Sound was much more mechanical (a lot of valve train noise, very little exhaust), much louder. TTS sounds nothing like Artura. Power of TTS was underwhelming to me in flooring while driving. From stand still, it feels like a jet plane, but while cruising it doesnt pull hard. There was a thread here by “n d” that had a title “this car isnt as fast as advertised” and his comments are pretty spot on.

Above in mind, two comments I want to make :

1) I am not buying the Artura I drove. I am buying a 750S. I never drove 7 series so 7 series might feel much worse than Artura in sound/lag department. I have time sat aside next week to drive a 720S. I will report back here once I do that test drive.

2) I am still getting my PTS TTS. I need a car that can carry 3 people. At this point its probably extremely unnecessary as I wont use TTS in the right manner lol when I’m driving alone and use 750S instead but I am still going to go through with it.

My personal situation is unique and there probably arent a ton of people who would own both TTS and 750S. I just dont think if this is your only car and you want a pure sports car, I would go with TTS. The problem as many here stated, it doesnt feel special. You spend too much money to buy a car that doesnt feel special. If you think it feels special, then you may not have explored all other options. Preowned 720S can be had for less than TTS preowned. Its so obvious a vast majority here never drove a mclaren. I was one of them. The reason for the thread is to share my view (as a person who was so strongly opposed to mclaren), I wouldnt judge a book by its cover.
I just don’t understand why you would buy a TTS after all the Debbie Downer treatment you have given. Your stated use case is so you can have three people in a car??? Literally hundreds of cars better at that than a TTS. You also have a cayenne correct? I don’t understand why you just don’t skip the TTS all together.
Old 08-29-2023, 10:17 AM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 858 Posts

Vocabulary used is wrong. Porsche is “quicker” to 60/100/quarter mile but mclaren is “faster”. Its terminal velocity is higher.

I did several launch control on my TTS. Its absolutely quicker but the problem is in real world, you dont do this. In real world, you are in gear and speed and you floor it. TTS does not take off anywhere near like artura. In a roll racing, TTS wont last. 720S is not even a contest and the 750S I’m ordering probably require that 1100 hp M-Engineering package to keep up (and even then sorry to say but it wont win). 600-700 lbs is too much weight to counter AND its already down on power.

Reading comments here (like chance6), it sounds a lot like myself before the test drive. I said very similar things about mclaren. The test drive completely changed my perspective. Its like you are comparing an F-18 to a cessna superjet. Cesna will have far better fit and finish and quality and F-18 will rattle and squeak, but once you are going its game over. Both in terms
of performance of it but also mentally you wont think about panel gaps or squeaks.

Terminal Velocity to 100mph……is………100mph…..in actual, measured races, Porsche wins…….in woulda coulda shoulda any result can be claimed.

Porsche > Artura
Old 08-29-2023, 10:27 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Billy Bluejay
I just don’t understand why you would buy a TTS after all the Debbie Downer treatment you have given. Your stated use case is so you can have three people in a car??? Literally hundreds of cars better at that than a TTS. You also have a cayenne correct? I don’t understand why you just don’t skip the TTS all together.
We are a family of 3, all car people. We like taking spirited drives all 3 of us. Other options arent very good like M4 or Audi’s. Much larger cars. Both wife and daughter want this car.
Billy Bluejay (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 10:28 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Terminal Velocity to 100mph……is………100mph…..in actual, measured races, Porsche wins…….in woulda coulda shoulda any result can be claimed.

Porsche > Artura
1/4 mile terminal velocity is Artura > Porsche. 140 > 137
Old 08-29-2023, 10:37 AM
Billy Bluejay
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 104 Posts

We are a family of 3, all car people. We like taking spirited drives all 3 of us. Other options arent very good like M4 or Audi’s. Much larger cars. Both wife and daughter want this car.
Fair. So you are saying 2 out of three Pedals would recommend a TTS.
Old 08-29-2023, 10:58 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Billy Bluejay
Fair. So you are saying 2 out of three Pedals would recommend a TTS.
Not really, we all do. And I never thought of us as 3 pedals like that, I like how it sounds

I really like TTS. I think as much as I tried my best to not sound very negative, its rennlist and we are all Porsche fanatics. If I didnt like the car, my OP would have said “here is how I cancelled my TTS and ordered 750S instead”. No one is forcing me to buy a TTS. I just think it is such a different car that I was probably trying to use it in a way that its not really meant to be. Now I will use it for what its good at. No problems!
AlexCeres (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 02:08 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Engro

Sound in the v8 macs is much much better than the tts. The TTS is a better grand touring, and has a better launch off the line. It does incognito well too. It’s a car you can daily to place you don’t want to “make an entrance”. It is in every other way an inferior sports car to the 720. It weighs 500# more, the suspension isn’t in the same league, it has less power and less torque. It drives like a touring car with a crazy launch. The 720 drives like a mid engined supercar.

i’ve owned both. One is a $200k car and one is a $300k car. The TTS dominates its demographic and competition. It does not however compete with a 720.
3-Pedals (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 05:27 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 858 Posts

1/4 mile terminal velocity is Artura > Porsche. 140 > 137
So….not a significant digit compared to the rest of the metrics.
Old 08-29-2023, 05:44 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,227 Likes on 705 Posts

Youtubers and influencers ruined everything. So you look like a douche no matter what you're in nowadays and the first thought that comes to mind when people see flashy cars is YT'er/Influencer/Poser except for maybe Ferrari and TTS 911. McLaren and Lambo are deep in the abyss save for models like the 765 or SVJ but 9/10 people won't even be able to differentiate the different trims.

Comparing TTS to any McLaren is apples and oranges. McLarens are purpose built race cars, 911's are built with daily driving prioritized or at minimum 50/50.

vs

Old 08-29-2023, 05:46 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

So….not a significant digit compared to the rest of the metrics.
It is significant. 3 mph trap speed difference in a TTS would require a stage 1 tune and at least 70 whp more.

Also, keep in mind these metrics are all taken from standstill. There is Turbo’s area of expertise and one pony trick that comes in. The higher trap mclaren has gives you a hint its got a lot more power but the best way to really see this is during a 60-130 rolling benchmarking. Turbo will do a 6.8-7.0s stock, Artura is a one full second faster. Each tenth of a second is usually 2 car lengths (give or take half a car length). 1 full second means about 2.5-3 bus lengths between two cars. If theoretically you were to “keep going in Mexico” where this race was held, Mclaren would get to 180mph quite a bit sooner.

In real life, we experience performance while the car is in motion a lot more of the time vs stopping the car, hitting the brake, floor throttle, boost builds, and launch the car. That is cool and you do it here and there but if you look at the total number of miles you own a car, it probably makes less than 1% of the time.

My TTS with lightweight package was the lightest spec you could have. Its the stock “9 second TTS” as per car and driver. And my seat of the pants of power surge between TTS and Artura wasnt even close. Mclaren was pulling so hard and it was able to continue pulling as hard. One thing I noticed with TTS is after 2nd gear, the 3rd gear pull is weak and 4th is much weaker. Mclaren feels like its a gear lower than TTS. Its 3rd gear feels like 2nd gear in Turbo terms.

Quick Reply: Mclaren surprised me a lot