992 Turbo and Turbo S 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Mclaren surprised me a lot

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2024 | 12:32 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Its on IG, someone posted it, Matt Farrah, follow him and you will see. Popped the CEL on the track during testing. Story of a Macs life.
Old 09-26-2024 | 12:57 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Its on IG, someone posted it, Matt Farrah, follow him and you will see. Popped the CEL on the track during testing. Story of a Macs life.
Found it. No CEL while driving picture only when stationary. Maybe its like ferrari where it comes on briefly upon startup and disappears?
Old 09-26-2024 | 12:57 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I see 93 GT3RSs listed in auto trader same place I see 60+ 750s. Mclaren makes much fewer of these cars per year than porsche builds gt3rs. I think your 167 figure might include other ones like 991? Or maybe you looked at both gt3 and gt3rs?

Regardless, no one buys these cars for investment but at the same time we dont want to take a bath either. Also, I dont think any of these porsches (even a king of depreciation turbo s) goes for below msrp with delivery miles.

I’m just highlighting here where rubber meets the road, the story of 750S as a success dont align with the market reaction. I know first hand (not through grapevine) that dealers have allocations that they cannot sell hence they end up having to configure these cars, they try to sell them to buyers between order to delivery, still cant, cars show up at the dealer and sit and sit and thats when they have to discount them. If I can call up a mclaren dealer and say “I want a 750S” and can get an allocation promptly to be delivered in 4-5 months, no lists, no wait times, as much as thats flattering and I love no porsche foxtrot tango dance to score allocations, it still highlights that market reception has been weak. They cant sell these cars for some reason. Mclaren plant makes 3500 cars/year including all models. Porsche makes that many GT3RS for north america alone. Math doesnt add up.
Porsche has been making sports cars for 75 years, and has a huge, sometimes cultish, following and an incredible brand. And it sells in a much lower price bracket (pre adm). There are a lot more buyers at $240K for a 75 year old brand than $400k for a 10 year old brand. Porsche demand is unusually strong, and some of it is self fulfilling by way of speculators and flipping. McLaren depreciation is more of a normal exotic like Lambo or Aston.

If you want to judge a car based on the markets supply / demand ratio instead of how it drives, I mean different strokes and all, but that sounds pretty ****ing weird. And hollow. Nobody is arguing the McLaren is the better business. But if we’re investors and not drivers, Porsche’s stock isn’t doing so great either. I would …. not invest in the automotive sector at all tbh.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
ENCT (09-26-2024), HOTCHKIS (09-26-2024), Manifold (09-26-2024)
Old 09-26-2024 | 01:03 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Matt Farrah and the crew at Road&Track are doing Sports Car of the Year...

Did you see the 750 lol. CEL on, half a tank of fuel, saying 5 miles left to empty.

Enjoy the Mac boys!

Spyder RS GONNA WIN!
yawn. This morning my 4rs wouldn’t shift into first. And the there was the time my gt3 window cracked from a stiff breeze. Or … stuff happens.
Old 09-26-2024 | 01:51 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I’m just highlighting here where rubber meets the road, the story of 750S as a success dont align with the market reaction. I know first hand (not through grapevine) that dealers have allocations that they cannot sell hence they end up having to configure these cars, they try to sell them to buyers between order to delivery, still cant, cars show up at the dealer and sit and sit and thats when they have to discount them. If I can call up a mclaren dealer and say “I want a 750S” and can get an allocation promptly to be delivered in 4-5 months, no lists, no wait times, as much as thats flattering and I love no porsche foxtrot tango dance to score allocations, it still highlights that market reception has been weak. They cant sell these cars for some reason. Mclaren plant makes 3500 cars/year including all models. Porsche makes that many GT3RS for north america alone. Math doesnt add up.
You have to understand or appreciate where the 750 slots in the Mclaren Super Series hierarchy.

On paper, the 750 is supposed to slot between the 720 and 765LT, but in reality it's really neither.

Yes, it's better, on paper, than the 720, but if you have a 720, the 750 isn't worth the upgrade. The juice isn't worth the squeeze, as they say.

If you own a 765LT, the 750 is not hardcore enough for you, so there's no reason to up(down?)grade.

As for "new' buyers entering into the Mclaren ecosystem, not sure the 750 is the best entry point.

So the market really isn't there, despite the car's unmistakable capabilities.
The following users liked this post:
heshalosny (09-30-2024)
Old 09-26-2024 | 10:09 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You have to understand or appreciate where the 750 slots in the Mclaren Super Series hierarchy.

On paper, the 750 is supposed to slot between the 720 and 765LT, but in reality it's really neither.

Yes, it's better, on paper, than the 720, but if you have a 720, the 750 isn't worth the upgrade. The juice isn't worth the squeeze, as they say.

If you own a 765LT, the 750 is not hardcore enough for you, so there's no reason to up(down?)grade.

As for "new' buyers entering into the Mclaren ecosystem, not sure the 750 is the best entry point.

So the market really isn't there, despite the car's unmistakable capabilities.
You have made a very good point.

I’ll be honest with the group here, its extremely hard to stomach an extra $200,000 (literally) for 750S over 720S right now just so that “I can spec it” knowing none of these cars are “keepers” unless you are Jay Leno and have funds warehouses to store and never sell cars.

I’m also expecting a Spyder RS allocation within 2-3 weeks, thats making things tougher.

I wish Mclaren’s product strategy were a bit more thought through. Your points are really spot on.

And on this note, if I had a 720S that I bought new for $410,000 and put 5000 miles on it, dealer will offer me $200,000 in trade today to get into a 750S. Thats just appalling. I will give you an example from myself, I bought a GT3RS for $320,000 (MSRP) and in the process of completing a CXX/PTS GT3RS. I will sell this car back to the dealer at MSRP when the new one comes and buy it at msrp. I understand market for GT3RS is above msrp but to me it isnt. In my seat, I pay 0 dollars for owning porsches for depreciation. I have got Spyder RS, GT3 Touring, and new Turbo S that are also incoming whenever they are out and will trade cars but the key thing here, excluding financing these cars I come out of these transactions virtually without an impact.

I think I’d lose more money in a brand new mclaren than all of my car purchases in all brands (not just porsche) combined in 2.5 decades of buying sports cars (mathematical fact, I actually added this up lol).

Even after all of this - still considering the 750S! Cant get it out of my head.
Old 09-26-2024 | 10:52 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

This thread is going in circles. All this and not even getting one.

If you’re a Porsche guy, the SRS is the car to have. It’s very enjoyable.
Old 09-26-2024 | 11:10 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

This thread is going in circles. All this and not even getting one.

If you’re a Porsche guy, the SRS is the car to have. It’s very enjoyable.
Why are you so defensive at all times? I’m not a Porsche guy or Mclaren guy. I’m a car guy. Your threshold of getting agitated is really low. Just relax - or simply choose to ignore the thread. Its my thread not yours or someone else’s, its not like I derailed a turbo s thread and turned it into mclaren. I made the thread about mclarens and its not really going off rails or off topic (and honestly as the OP, even if I wanted to take it to say Ferrari, I can. Others can simply choose not to participate in it). We are all having a good friendly conversation.

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 09-26-2024 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-26-2024 | 11:39 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I’ll be honest with the group here, its extremely hard to stomach an extra $200,000 (literally) for 750S over 720S right now just so that “I can spec it” knowing none of these cars are “keepers” unless you are Jay Leno and have funds warehouses to store and never sell cars.

I’m also expecting a Spyder RS allocation within 2-3 weeks, thats making things tougher.

I wish Mclaren’s product strategy were a bit more thought through. Your points are really spot on.

And on this note, if I had a 720S that I bought new for $410,000 and put 5000 miles on it, dealer will offer me $200,000 in trade today to get into a 750S. Thats just appalling. I will give you an example from myself, I bought a GT3RS for $320,000 (MSRP) and in the process of completing a CXX/PTS GT3RS. I will sell this car back to the dealer at MSRP when the new one comes and buy it at msrp. I understand market for GT3RS is above msrp but to me it isnt. In my seat, I pay 0 dollars for owning porsches for depreciation. I have got Spyder RS, GT3 Touring, and new Turbo S that are also incoming whenever they are out and will trade cars but the key thing here, excluding financing these cars I come out of these transactions virtually without an impact.

I think I’d lose more money in a brand new mclaren than all of my car purchases in all brands (not just porsche) combined in 2.5 decades of buying sports cars (mathematical fact, I actually added this up lol).

Even after all of this - still considering the 750S! Cant get it out of my head.
I was in the same boat.

Passed on my 296 allocation to look into a 750S, but then passed on it as well.

To me the 750S feels like a compromised car. It's no doubt better than a 720, but not that much better and certainly not 200K better. And if I wanted a true Mclaren track car, I'd get a 765LT.
heshalosny (09-30-2024)
Old 09-26-2024 | 11:55 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Buy a 720 now, trade it in for a used 750 in 2-3 years.
Old 09-26-2024 | 11:59 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Buy a 720 now, trade it in for a used 750 in 2-3 years.
I thought about that but that line of thinking did not really work out well for 12C, 650S, or 570S. When people thought “it already depreciated” turns out it depreciated an extra 20-30% (not from msrp but from the current price). So 720S for 270k today will probably trade at 170k or less in 2-3 years. Thats still a loss of $100k. It only makes sense if its dirt cheap like the way how you got your 570S, truly very cheap lol and keep it for good haha
Old 09-26-2024 | 12:11 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I thought about that but that line of thinking did not really work out well for 12C, 650S, or 570S. When people thought “it already depreciated” turns out it depreciated an extra 20-30% (not from msrp but from the current price). So 720S for 270k today will probably trade at 170k or less in 2-3 years. Thats still a loss of $100k. It only makes sense if its dirt cheap like the way how you got your 570S, truly very cheap lol and keep it for good haha
Could be wrong, but I doubt a 720 will lose another $100k in 2-3 years. When a nice 720 gets to about $200k, I think I'm compelled to buy it, and won't give any thought to further depreciation.

I got my 570 about a year and a half ago, when the market was still pretty hot, for $160k. I've put more than 3k happy miles on it, and I think I could sell for about $150k.

Last edited by Manifold; 09-26-2024 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-28-2024 | 02:00 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Could be wrong, but I doubt a 720 will lose another $100k in 2-3 years. When a nice 720 gets to about $200k, I think I'm compelled to buy it, and won't give any thought to further depreciation.

I got my 570 about a year and a half ago, when the market was still pretty hot, for $160k. I've put more than 3k happy miles on it, and I think I could sell for about $150k.
A 2023 720 spider is still 300-310 wholesale. Also, MSRPs came down as packages started to be included etc and the 750 has a LOT of these packed into its base MSRP like how the Porsche GTS does. Oh, and then an exhaust thats wildly good now vs whats in the 720 which is pretty muted.

If you get a solid discount from the go on a 2024 750 and its not a totally jammed up one (390-410), you're not going to do that badly end of the day, and not much different than if you were in the comparable ferrari 296 boat. If you dont want to lose much, just buy a 2021 ish 720 with warranty. A lot of this stuff is just sticking at this point.

Last edited by sechsgang; 09-28-2024 at 02:01 PM.
AlexCeres (09-28-2024)
Old 09-28-2024 | 06:26 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sechsgang
A 2023 720 spider is still 300-310 wholesale. Also, MSRPs came down as packages started to be included etc and the 750 has a LOT of these packed into its base MSRP like how the Porsche GTS does. Oh, and then an exhaust thats wildly good now vs whats in the 720 which is pretty muted.

If you get a solid discount from the go on a 2024 750 and its not a totally jammed up one (390-410), you're not going to do that badly end of the day, and not much different than if you were in the comparable ferrari 296 boat. If you dont want to lose much, just buy a 2021 ish 720 with warranty. A lot of this stuff is just sticking at this point.
I have visited a mclaren store yesterday. They had 5 750S brand new (never titled) and multiple on the way and also open allocations. They are discounting the cars on the lot and even discounting the brand new allocation (although not by much). Certainly not the sight you see in a Porsche dealer with a GT car, having multiple unsold ones and configurable allocations that arent spoken for. I heard the mclaren does force cars to the dealers and perhaps this is part of the reason? I have a feeling come December/January we might see some deep discounts on these.

Also some other price point, 2021 and 2022 720S spiders with 1400-3000 miles (multiple) all listed around 27-35% off msrp.

I have gone to the nearby lambo and ferrari dealers just to get a feel for how its going for them. Both had 0 unsold new cars in the showroom and both were listing used cars still way closer to msrp. F8 and 296s are around 5-10% off msrp with 2000 miles. 812 which is the worst car in the showroom depreciation wise was around 20% off msrp but 5 years old and with 10,000 miles.

I didnt go the porsche dealer that day but I know they are still selling cars like Turbo S, used with miles, at msrp or slightly above.

just trying to help the forum with data points.

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 09-28-2024 at 06:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3-Pedals:
Butzi (09-28-2024), onfireTTS (09-28-2024)
Old 09-28-2024 | 06:30 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I have visited a mclaren store yesterday. They had 5 750S brand new (never titled) and multiple on the way and also open allocations. They are discounting the cars on the lot and even discounting the brand new allocation (although not by much). Certainly not the sight you see in a Porsche dealer with a GT car, having multiple unsold ones and configurable allocations that arent spoken for. I heard the mclaren does force cars to the dealers and perhaps this is part of the reason? I have a feeling come December/January we might see some deep discounts on these.

Also some other price point, 2021 and 2022 720S spiders with 1400-3000 miles (multiple) all listed around 27-35% off msrp.

I have gone to the nearby lambo and ferrari dealers just to get a feel for how its going for them. Both had 0 unsold new cars in the showroom and both were listing used cars still way closer to msrp. F8 and 296s are around 5-10% off msrp with 2000 miles. 812 which is the worst car in the showroom depreciation wise was around 20% off msrp but 5 years old and with 10,000 miles.

I didnt go the porsche dealer that day but I know they are still selling cars like Turbo S, used with miles, at msrp or slightly above.

just trying to help the forum with data points.
Porsche sits at a lower price range, and demand exceeds supply, so values stay up. Other brands are at higher price range, lower demand which is close to supply. Is it an economic purchase, or do you want the cars you like most?

Quick Reply: Mclaren surprised me a lot